Mint is a terrible Linux desktop

tegegne tefera

Nov 22, 2015, 7:36:12 AM11/22/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com

This is awful, when I install Linux on the desktop I'm expecting to be able to waste a solid 8 hours chasing down random issues that were solved on all other modern desktop systems by 2008.

I went into this hoping and wishing to have to crawl through linuxquestions.org threads from 2006 to figure out why plugging in a second monitor doesn't work with X.org.

I want the peace and quiet that you can only get from spending 45 minutes trying to get alsa/oss/flavor of the week sound manager to work properly.

I miss the subtle delicious pain of trying to figure out what I have to do to get Gnome 3 or Unity to provide desktop functionality that came standard with Windows NT 4.

With what you've done here I am no longer able to do any of these things. You've taken the awful travesty of an experience that trying to do anything production on a Linux desktop is supposed to provide and made it usable, sensible, and working out of the box.

This is why I can't call Mint a Linux desktop. It's just a desktop... you monsters.

(I plugged a second monitor into my HDMI slot and it just worked. I have literally never experienced that since working with Linux since the days of Redhat 3. You've taken away a cherished time honoured tradition of having a terrible experience using a Linux desktop from me forever. Thank... Christ.)

https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxmint/comments/3tiy3m/mint_is_a_terrible_linux_desktop/

Eyoas Kuru

Mar 21, 2022, 10:15:19 AM3/21/22
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia