Item, Element, Argument and Object

Fantaw Tesema

Nov 20, 2015, 9:28:27 AM11/20/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Hello everybody!

Can you help me to translate Item, Element, Argument and Object to Amharic?Am having hard time to have a good translation with these four words.  //FT

Eyob Fitwi

Nov 20, 2015, 9:33:22 AM11/20/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Item - ንጥል

Argument - ነጋሪ እሴት

Element - The EICTDA provides አባል. At first I wasn't against it, but when you read it's description it actually makes sense for those contexts. Read the description on the EICTDA. Another alternative is አካል (as in የእሱ አካል).

Object - The EICTDA provides ነገር, but I'm not too keen on it. Too generic.

Best regards,
Eyob

On 20/11/2015 05:28 ከሰዓት, Fantaw Tesema wrote:
Hello everybody!

Can you help me to translate Item, Element, Argument and Object to Amharic?Am having hard time to have a good translation with these four words.  //FT

Fantaw Tesema

Nov 20, 2015, 9:46:08 AM11/20/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
That was helpful. Thanks as always.
I will note:

Item - ንጥል
Argument - ነጋሪ እሴት
Element: I like አካል instead of አባል. Is this ok?
Object: What can we do? //FT

Eyob Fitwi

Nov 20, 2015, 9:48:03 AM11/20/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Just take the context into consideration for 'element'. I prefer አካል too but as noted there are contexts where አባል is better.

For 'object', I guess we temporarily stick with the glossary.

Fantaw Tesema

Nov 20, 2015, 10:05:24 AM11/20/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Noted!
Thanks and have a pleasant weekend. //FT

Belay Tekalign

Nov 20, 2015, 10:30:46 PM11/20/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia
Fantaw:
Are you recording this translation somewhere. You can make a book out of it. Sorry I can't help you. My Amharic became limited from disuse. At times I don't speak Amharic for a couple of yours, if you don't count the limited phone connections I get to my family. It is a nightmare from here, California. First the time gap then the connection is terrible.
Belay

Fantaw Tesema

Nov 21, 2015, 2:34:25 AM11/21/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Hello Belay!

Yes, I have a collection of these words on a Excel list. They are around 250 for now. Most of them are words which are similar, comparison, controversial, not translated before and so on. Can't be a book, he he... but one beautiful day, we will include them in the main glossary? So they will not be lost. I will send the list to this our network when finished.
Have a pleasant weekend. //FT

እዮብ ፍትዊ

Nov 21, 2015, 3:01:39 AM11/21/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com

Fantaw,

A suggestion, why don't you upload the spreadsheet to Google Sheets so that we can collaborate on them and easily access them whenever we need to. Of course, we'll need to agree on a protocol as to when to edit, comment, who shall monitor the changes, set the access levels, etc.

Best regards
Eyob

Fantaw Tesema

Nov 21, 2015, 3:11:14 AM11/21/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

It is actually a good idea. I will clean up the spreadsheet because it has some colors and silly comments of mine and then upload the file within next days. Depends on Google Sheets speed, I may also work local then edit only the changes on Google. //FT

Belay Tekalign

Nov 21, 2015, 3:57:28 AM11/21/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia
Wolf Leslau was one person like you (Google it). He is from Poland and started to love our language. His Geez dictionary is what we cherish these days. And his Amharic is almost as good as yours. Read more about him at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wolf_Leslau I worked at his university - UCLA. You can do better than him on Amharic. But his Gurage dictionay will blow you out.  I tried to learn Silte and it was beyond my capability.  Soon when I retire and own a land I will speak Gurage. Keep those words and you can even make money, at least you give us a standard, that is what we lack these days, a standard. And this Eyob is amazing, don't you think?

Belay

Belay Tekalign

Nov 21, 2015, 4:08:17 AM11/21/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia
Eyob:
Why don't you build a java spreadsheet which will  do what Fantaw wanted? You need some Swing knowledge. But I can get you upto that if you are not ready. You asked for something practical. Here is one for you and everyone will be impressed.
Your brother
Belay