windows

tegegne tefera

Feb 15, 2015, 12:44:18 PM2/15/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
After many heart buns I promised myself a long time ago that this will
be my last computer with windows and win 7 is the last windows I will
ever going to use. I tried windows 8 and it confirmed that my decision
was right.
when Microsoft announced windows 10 jumping number 9 I said you can
jump a thousand but you would not make me interested. I am still not
interested, but Microsoft did something out of character. They said
they are going to allow the present users of win 7 and 8 upgrade
freely. Since I have a win7 with a valid license I got a bit curious.
Since I am getting it for free... I decided to see it before I decide
to upgrade or not.

I downloaded the windows 10 technical review version that is provided
by MS for free and tried to install it in virtual box. I encountered a
few problems and after rummaging through discussion forums I managed
to install it. To my surprise it was a good piece of software. They
brought back the beloved start button and it is quite fast. I will not
be abandoning my linux mint any time soon but it is more than a
possibility that I will be upgrading to win 10 when it becomes
available.
I have tested the Amharic typing and reading functionality and it
worked superbly. I am not sure if you can change the UI to Amharic.

Fantaw Tesema

Feb 15, 2015, 2:49:20 PM2/15/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for sharing your experience Tegegne. I think MS is coping the principle of open source as it it is very beneficial to involve people and later for business benefits. I also think the free upgrade is may be within a limited time, before MS go for business as usual? But it is a promising OS from what I heard.
Cheers.
Greetings //FT  www.tatariw.net

Belay

Mar 27, 2015, 9:17:37 AM3/27/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Tegene:
I have a laptop sitting by desk,it came with windows 8, should I load on it 10. I am going to ship it to my sister in Mizan Tepi. Mizan is on the south west corner ምን ይልክ conquered. This king must have some super natural imagination.
Belay

tegegne tefera

Mar 29, 2015, 4:24:02 PM3/29/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Sorry Belay for the delay.
My advise for any one who lives in Ethiopia is xubuntu or linux mint. The reason is with windows computers when they connect it the first time to internet or when they put the first flash disk it would be infected by virus. They have no possibility to update their system or get anti virus programs.
But that would not be a problem with mint or ubuntu. If you have regular contact with her you can make an aptcd update evey now and then and send her. That is what i did on every computer that i took and gave to family members.
I will reply to your other mail.

tegegne tefera

Mar 31, 2015, 5:41:18 AM3/31/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Ibus on cinnamon in mint linux getting unstable. Therefore it is making writing in Amharic a bit challenging. I installed xubuntu on a partition and it works perfectly. till now.
I am kind of liking xfce. It is fast and looks nice.

Unfortunately support for amharic on ubuntu is deteriorating. Though I have tried to keep it on subsequent Debian releases Ubuntu has simply dropped it. Amharic doesn't exist on ubuntu language selection menu which is also used in Mint.

The irresponsibility of officials in Ethiopia astounds me. They spend millions on IT equipment and systems but would not spend a few thousand birr for adoption and maintenance of a software that is increasingly becoming the most important piece of software in the whole world and to the world.
Ethiopia could save millions and add tremendous value in terms of education and create an economic opportunity if it adopts open source software, as countries such as Australia, England, Brazil...etc are doing.

Fantaw Tesema

Mar 31, 2015, 7:12:13 AM3/31/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

What is not working?
On my LM 17, IBUS is working just fine.
My guess is that you use LM 17.1. For now I use only update not upgrade and follow the old saying if it is not break don't fix it, since am happy with Long term release LM 17.
 BR
//FT

Best regards
 .
www.tatariw.net
Beautiful Thinking!  -  ቆንጆ አስተሳሰብ!

tegegne tefera

Mar 31, 2015, 7:44:02 AM3/31/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
That is what I am sing too Fantaw. But have you tried writing with it on firefox? If you do a "back space" you will get a weird behavior. Some times the keyboard wont respond at all.

Fantaw Tesema

Mar 31, 2015, 8:03:10 AM3/31/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Hey Tegegne,
For now the backspace on FF is working fine here with me. I don't know but may be other related hardware issue or other keyboards regarding IBUS?
Which PC/Laptop do you use? I use Shuttle Slim-PC Barebone http://www.shuttle.eu/products/slim/ . Needs only RAM, CPU and Flash disk to start with. I have done that so I do not need to pay to MS.
BR
FT

Best regards