Google Translate community volunteer

Eyob Fitwi

Sep 13, 2015, 1:25:29 PM9/13/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys,

I just thought you would want to participate in this.

As you know, Google Translate doesn't work for Amharic (or for other
Ethiopian languages as well). That's because there isn't enough
volunteer translations to power the English-Amharic machine translator.
Now you can add translations at https://translate.google.com/community
and hopefully, one day we can garner enough translations to start the
service. So, what do you say?

Best regards,
Eyob

Fantaw Tesema

Sep 13, 2015, 1:53:33 PM9/13/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com

Thanks Eyob.
It is a needed concern, you care.  I haven't given it a thought, yet am sure people have been working on it. I will study a bit to find out more. Am on vacation now.
Br
FT

tegegne tefera

Sep 14, 2015, 11:33:11 AM9/14/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
That looks great Eyob. I was there and translated a bit. Some of the expressions are hard to translate in to Amharic. The only thing that bothers me is that they do not share it with any one.

Belay Tekalign

Sep 15, 2015, 5:28:05 PM9/15/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia
is there a way to dumb a whole dictionary into the system. I would be looking.  Doing it manually is not sustainable.

Eyob Fitwi

Sep 16, 2015, 6:34:22 AM9/16/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi Belay,

The idea is that Translate community is to be a volunteer powered machine translation service. Manually for a few people it is not feasible, yes. The challenge is rather tied to very low internet penetration we have. Still, we can hope that despite the challenges we can still muster enough volunteers to make English-Amharic translation viable. Also it will need time.

What we ought to do is to raise awareness of this service and go on a volunteer-recruitment drive. No, us doing the translation alone will not get us anywhere. We need to spread the word and get people to participate. That's how other languages have become available.

tegegne tefera

Sep 16, 2015, 7:13:21 AM9/16/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
I am just wondering what do the computer and language departments in all those Ethiopian universities are doing. Adopting this transformative technology for the local market should be their first priority. And this are perfect projects for students.

tegegne tefera

Sep 16, 2015, 7:18:51 AM9/16/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Eyob
Will you post this on face book? sharing it will be easier from there.

Eyob Fitwi

Sep 16, 2015, 7:28:28 AM9/16/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Umm, I've taken a leave off Facebook for a while. I need to take a break from that cesspool of unhinged rants :-). A part of that is freezing all activity on Facebook, except for observing news feed unnoticed.

tegegne tefera

Sep 16, 2015, 7:55:43 AM9/16/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Can't blame you.