Just the Java!

Belay Tekalign

Nov 18, 2015, 8:22:45 PM11/18/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia

Eyob:

I created this thread because the previous one was getting too long to manage.

I don't know much about the online classes, I plan to try them out. My Java teacher was one crazy old Iranian, who was passionate. Java was then 1.4 today it is 1.8.

A lot happened since then for instance I knew about Generics not from Java but from C#. They say Microsoft stole C# by hiring one of the premier coders on Java. I don't know the politics. But C# was young and manageable, thanks to its heavily fortified .NET framework.

Like I told you recently I am exposed to Python (infarct I just finished a semester). Python blows away both Java and C# and to your liking you can do it all command line. Yet I didn’t meet anyone who did enterprise level coding on Python. They call it a baby language. Too much talk.

We will close our recent talks on bitwise, bitshifting and bitmasking  after introducing ASCII and UTF-8 and how we work out International Languages like Amharic. We are going to see it on a bit level to understand its molecular genetics.

On the other hand, don't underestimate the power of ciphering and Cryptography. There is a lot of demand. Most programmers don't know how CheckSum works and how TCP delivers a packet with the CheckSum  information on the fly.

If I may comment, please get out of command line learning and do it Java programmer - on an IDE. There is no need to hack the command line and you don't learn much except hurting your finger from too much typing. At least script it out and run it on Bash Shell.

Finally I love to see the topics you covered so far on Java. Java is object oriented and the meat topics will be knowing these terms are and how to apply  them: Inheritance, Aggregation, has-A, Is-a, Polymorphism, overriding, anonymous classes, packages, class, method, private, public, static, final etc. ...

Can you list the topics you covered so far?

Please….

Belay

On Sat, Oct 31, 2015 at 9:54 AM, Eyob Fitwi <eyob....@gmail.com> wrote:

Belay:
Tempting. I've finished the Java course on Codeacademy, but it feels stripped down. I'm planning to go through the tutorial in http://www.tutorialspoint.com/java/ which seems more detailed, and do a little practice on codewars.com. You could help me by giving me some real life problems as homework. I will try other languages in good time without overcrowding myself.

Tegene:
That's the thing about our country. Our people are not exactly enamored with the idea of work discipline and are a bit lacking in passion for some ambition. But a select few people seem to always miraculously emerge and carry the country forward. Those precious people to whom we should be grateful. I agree, Daniel Yacob et. al. work is frozen in time, and I think it's high time they're restarted.

I don't think I can quite fit their shoes, but that won't stop me from trying to follow their footsteps, God willing.

Best regards,

Eyob

Eyob Fitwi

Nov 20, 2015, 6:21:29 AM11/20/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Belay,

QEXKH VLR

Sorry for the late response. I've been busy, and on top of that all these posts overwhelmed me a little bit :-) .

Man I envy you. You seem to know quite a bit. Hopefully I'll get there eventually.

Bitwise operations seem simple enough. As for focusing their practical applications, I'll have to put it on hold while I finish the tutorials. But I would like to know more about their applications at a later time. Will have to be patient.

I'm familiar with most topics, it's just that I'm not good at them, yet. The online tutorials are just to refresh what I learned, and an opportunity to practice. I'm especially rusty as I didn't code much apart from what I learned in classes. You know how programming needs a lot of practice, and I need that badly. Part of that is what frustrated my stay at HiLCoE and why I took a break. It's especially tough as I'm not planning on giving up my current work and joining any company, where I would've had an opportunity to learn real programming.

Be patient. Once I get through the basics I do plan on getting my hands dirty with practice and attempts at solving real problems. I look forward to us doing something on Github. Remember what I said about being unable to display our local calendar on my desktop? I want to rectify that. Not just for Ethiopian calendar, but for all the calendar systems out there. God willing I will make that my our first Github project when I get there.

Best regards,
Eyob

Belay Tekalign

Nov 20, 2015, 10:18:23 PM11/20/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia
Brother:
Thank you for saying "Thank You" in Trinity-Latin. I thought you abandoned me. I am sorry for over posting, not sure if that is the correct English. Tell me more about this calendar. Have you done any Swing (GUI) coding or applets in Java. Should we start Swinging.  It is a rough road and you definitely need Eclipse or NetBeans. Tell me more about the algorithm of the calendar.

Like you I haven't done much Java coding. Once we were trying to implement Kuali across our university. It is a lot of work mostly configuration, but the lead programmer abandoned me to work for Wells Fargo Bank. And he is rich now while I wait for my next salary to feed myself.

I did some C# which is Java simplified and a lot of scripts including PHP, Python and tons of SQL scripts for a living. Although I learn't Java before you were born ( I like saying that.... ) and I am now 58, so you should keep up. Don't you think? Just kidding. Take your time and work at your pace. You will burn out otherwise and would hate what you started with earnest. You have a full life ahead of you and truly, you are really amazing. You are my motivator.

Peace!

Belay Tekalign

Nov 20, 2015, 10:58:41 PM11/20/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia
Eyob:
Have you heard of this free university -  http://my.uopeople.edu/
Check it out

እዮብ ፍትዊ

Nov 21, 2015, 3:07:14 AM11/21/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia

Thanks. I appreciate that. You should also know that having someone to work on this together gives me energy to continue.

Belay Tekalign

Dec 11, 2015, 9:31:32 PM12/11/15
to Gnu/Linux Ethiopia
Hello Eyob:
I missed our jDiscussion. Is everything OK?
Belay

Eyob Fitwi

Dec 14, 2015, 2:59:04 AM12/14/15
to linux-e...@googlegroups.com
Hi Belay,

Sorry, I was a bit overwhelmed and I had to take a break from everything. I took the last week off from work as well. I'm planning on resuming practicing in a short while, probably within this week.

Best regards,
Eyob