東海意味論研究会のお知らせ(9月26日)

koj...@gmail.com

Sep 15, 2015, 8:04:38 AM9/15/15
to linguistics-jp
名古屋外国語大学の川原と申します.

下記,研究会を開催予定です.ご興味・関心のある方はご参加ください.

   2015年9月26日土曜日13時半 (13:30 ~ onwards, 26 September 2015)

         名古屋学院大学日比野学舎 702 (702 Hibino Campas, Nagoya Gakuin University)
    直接,教室までお越しください.また,守衛に問われたら,意味論研究会に参加する旨お伝えください.
     (Please find us in the classroom. If asked, please let a gatekeeper know you will attend the meeting.)
  •  研究発表 (Lecture):13:30 -onwards

澤田治 (Osamu Sawada) 三重大学 (Mie University)

Title: Pragmatic Aspects of Scalar Modifiers

要旨:

In this talk, I will investigate the pragmatic aspects of scalar modifiers and will consider the following: (i) the similarities and differences between the at-issue and the non-at-issue (conventional implicature or CI) scalar meanings, (ii) the compositionality of pragmatic scalar meaning, and (iii) the source of variation in the meaning of pragmatic scalar modifiers from cross-linguistic perspectives.

By analyzing the semantics and pragmatics of comparatives with indeterminate pronouns, positive polarity minimizers, intensifiers, and counter-expectational adverbs in Japanese and other languages such as English, this talk will demonstrate that scalarity is utilized not only to measure individuals or events at the semantic level, but also to express various subjective feelings or discourse pragmatic information (e.g., politeness, priority of utterance, the speaker’s negative attitude, unexpectedness) at the CI level.

I will also propose that there are two types of pragmatic scalar modifiers, a higher-level pragmatic scalar modifiers and a lower-level pragmatic scalar modifier. A higher-level modifier utilizes an implicit pragmatic scale, while a lower-level modifier recycles a scale of an at-issue gradable predicate. I will show that these modifier types have different compositional and discourse-pragmatic characteristics.

I will further postulate that these two scalar modifier types have distinct projective properties. Unlike higher-level pragmatic scalar modifiers, typical CIs (e.g. expressives, and appositives), and typical presuppositions, lower-level pragmatic scalar modifiers non-at-issue meaning can be projected from the complement of an attitude predicate only when there is a speaker-oriented modality in the main clause. I will argue that the distinct projective characteristic comes from the compositional (i.e. the recycling) property of lower-level pragmatic scalar modifiers.

This talk provides new perspectives for the studies on scalar semantics, projective content, and the semantics-pragmatics interface. A brief discussion regarding the conditions where at-issue scalar meaning can become not-at-issue will also be discussed.

(Note: This talk will consist of two parts: (i) a general overview of this project and (ii) the specific analyses/theoretical proposals)

  • 懇親会 (Party):TBD
       (気軽にご参加ください.なお,予約がありますので事前連絡をいただけますと大変助かります)

      概要:
  • 東海意味論研究会は不定期に開催しているインフォーマルな研究会です。
  • 参加は自由ですので,どなたでもいつでも気軽におこしください.学生の皆さんの参加も歓迎します。
  • 準備の都合上,参加希望者は事前にご連絡いただけるとありがたいです。もちろん,当日に連絡なしでお越しいただいてもかまいません。

koj...@gmail.com

Sep 23, 2015, 1:42:14 AM9/23/15
to linguistics-jp
各位,