Workshop on Case Theory and Labeling @ UTokyo, Komaba

Takane ITO

Apr 14, 2018, 9:34:34 PM4/14/18
to linguis...@googlegroups.com
メーリングリストのみなさま

以下のようなワークショップを東京大学駒場キャンパスにて開催予定です。
会場の詳細は追ってお知らせいたしますが、とりあえず概要のご案内です。

東京大学
伊藤たかね

========
Workshop on Case Theory and Labeling of Structures

Date: August 4 (Sat), 2018
Venue: University of Tokyo, Komaba
(Details on the venue to be announced later)

Case Theory has been central to predicting where DPs occur in a clause. The idea is that (i) a DP is assigned Case by a local [-N] head; (ii) every DP must have Case; (iii) Case may be abstract, which requires adjacency with the [-N] head, or morphological, which does not require adjacency. In this workshop, we will look at Case Theory from the perspective of recent development in labeling of structures (Chomsky 2013). Saito (2016) has argued that for the merged pair {XP, YP}, morphological case marking on XP marks it as inert for projection, allowing YP to project and thus avoid a problem of projection. In a recent paper, Miyagawa, Wu, and Koizumi (2018) incorporate this idea by Saito, and argue that other elements, such as uniform morphology on wh-words in Indo-European and augment vowels in Bantu, work similarly to render an XP inert for projection; in contrast, agreement, for example, renders an XP active for projection. Their conclusion is that Case Theory as originally proposed by Vergnaud as well as the notion of Case should be set aside.

All talks and discussion will be conducted in English.

1:00 Opening remarks. Shigeru Miyagawa, MIT/ UTokyo.
1:10 “Search in Case Valuation: K as a Weak Head,” Mamoru Saito, Nanzan University
2:10 “Deriving Case Theory I: Establishing the framework,” Shigeru Miyagawa, MIT/UTokyo
3:10 Break
3:30 “Deriving Case Theory II: Issues of [-N]/[+N], ECM,” Danfeng Wu, MIT
4:30 “Deriving Case Theory III: Wh-questions, topicalization,” Masatoshi Koizumi, Tohoku U.
5:15-5:30 Break
5:30 – 6:00 General discussion
==========

Takane ITO

Jul 8, 2018, 12:56:40 AM7/8/18
to linguis...@googlegroups.com
メーリングリストのみなさま

会場が確定しましたので、案内を再送いたします。

東京大学駒場キャンパス 駒場国際教育研究棟(KIBER)3階 314室
https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/campusmap/cam02_01_05_j.html

となります。

また、準備のため、以下のサイトから参加登録にご協力をお願いいたします。
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfnVdXynyfqWQhoFUQfdjysnaWjkfu0-UJiTlqEQqPxtdwLvg/viewform?usp=sf_link

東京大学
伊藤たかね

> ========
> Workshop on Case Theory and Labeling of Structures
>
> Date: August 4 (Sat), 2018
> Venue:Rm 314 (on the 3rd floor), Komaba International Building for Research and Education,
> University of Tokyo, Komaba

Takane ITO

Jul 27, 2018, 6:32:20 AM7/27/18
to linguis...@googlegroups.com
メーリングリストのみなさま

開催日が近づきましたので、再送いたします。
暑い中ですが、多数のご参加をお待ちしております。

===
Workshop on Case Theory and Labeling of Structures
日時:8月4日(土)13:00-18:00
会場:東京大学駒場キャンパス 駒場国際教育研究棟(KIBER)3階 314室
講師:Mamoru Saito, Shigeru Miyagawa, Danfeng Wu, Masatoshi Koizumi
===

準備のため、以下のサイトから参加登録にご協力をお願いいたします。
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfnVdXynyfqWQhoFUQfdjysnaWjkfu0-UJiTlqEQqPxtdwLvg/viewform?usp=sf_link

プログラム、会場マップおよび参加登録は以下のサイトでもご覧になれます。