10月20日談話行動研究会開催のお知らせ

Keiko Tsuchiya

Sep 13, 2015, 11:02:38 PM9/13/15
to linguis...@googlegroups.com
皆さま(重複して受け取られた場合はご容赦ください)

東海大学の土屋慶子と申します。

10月20日(火) 立教大学にて、Erich A. Berendt 先生の講演会を開催します。
ぜひご参加ください。

――記――

日時:2015年10月20日(火)18:30-20:00
講師: Professor Erich A. Berendt  (清泉女子大学名誉教授)
題目:Researching Cultures of Learning: A Cognitive Metaphor Perspective
場所:立教大学(池袋キャンパス)12号館地下第3・第4会議室
キャンパスマップ
http://www.rikkyo.ac.jp/access/ikebukuro/campusmap/
アクセスマップ
http://www.rikkyo.ac.jp/access/ikebukuro/direction/

問い合わせ先:専修大学 岡田もえ子(mo...@isc.senshu-u.ac.jp)
   (当日) 立教大学 平賀正子研究室

<Abstract>
     Any person having taught in situations different from one’s own language and cultural background will readily acknowledge that there are behavioral differences in how we go about our learning activities in and out of the classroom as well as our expectations about how learning should proceed and what its values may be.  From the perspective of Cognitive Metaphor research I will present two research projects in the discourse domain of learning.  First will focus on building a representative data base of appropriate discourse genres to compare English and Japanese expectations about learning.  The challenges of maintaining a balance in the data and cross-cultural analytical issues will be discussed.  Both shared as well as divergent conceptual patterns will also be discussed.  E.g. LEARNING AS A JOURNEY, LEARNING AS FILLING A CONTAINER, LEARNING AS INGESTING.
   The second project focuses on GOOD TEACHER concepts in Thai and Finnish, utilizing essays and questionnaires.  The results in statements such as A GOOD TEACHER IS A PARENT; A GOOD TEACHER IS A FRIEND showed considerable cross-cultural differences of expectations. How such conceptual patterns impact our expectations and thus how interaction in the classrooms is managed reveal in cross-cultural comparisons culturally distinctive behavioral patterns which can be obstacles to achieving learning goals or opportunities for new perspectives in how learning may proceed.

<Profile>
Professor Erich A. Berendt was born in Canada, and obtained his Ph.D. at Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago. He has taught at the University of Chiba, Seisen University, and Assumption University, Bangkok. He is Professor Emeritus at Seisen University, and Visiting Researcher at Hiroshima University.
 He was President of the Asiatic Society of Japan (2000-2002) and has served on the editorial boards of the following journals: Japan Assoc. of College English Teachers’ Bulletin, Asian Englishes, Asia TEFL, Intercultural Communication Studies, also as editor-in-chief of Japan Assoc. of Applied Linguistics Bulletin (1986-1995).
 His research areas have focused on comparative spoken discourse (English, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese), applied speech acts in conversation, and Contemporary Theory of Metaphor in Cognitive Linguistics.
   His recent books published include research in Cognitive Linguistics Metaphors for Learning: Cross-cultural Perspectives (2008) (J. Benjamins), a book of poetry Passageways to My Mind (2008), For Communication and Learning: Research in Spoken and Applied Discourse (2010) (Assumption University Press) and Facing Finality: Cognitive and Cultural Studies on Death and Dying (2013) (Institute for Intercultural Communication, Louisville University) and contributor to Researching Cultures of Learning (Palgrave Macmillan 2013).

――――

2015年度 Berendt先生poster.docx