Limerick City of Culture Crafts pillar meeting - Mon 12 Aug, 2pm, City Hall

Gabriela Avram

Aug 10, 2013, 6:58:09 AM8/10/13
to limerick-h...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I am involved in the Limerick City of Culture 2014 preparation having submitted 2 project ideas related to my work in UL.
Having participated in a couple of meetings in the last two months, it occurred to me that making is one facet of culture that should be represented and we could become much more visible if we join other craftsmen (you'll be delighted to hear that Eric O'Neill, the blacksmith, is also involved!). Our former hosts and neighbours, the ceramicists group, are also involved.

There's a new meeting regarding a potential Crafts Hub (locations are still under discussion) on Monday at 2pm, in the City Hall, and we are invited.

I believe it would be good for the different hobby groups to be represented as well - we can run classes at the week-end and in the evenings when the day time occupants will be not working.

I might be there, but I am not sure about my time availability on Monday. I would encourage any of our members with a bit of time on their hands to go and spek for milklabs.

Gabriela

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ruth Crean
Subject: Meeting Monday 12

Hi Everyone,
Thanks to all who made it to the meeting yesterday. Just to give you an idea of what was discussed for those of you who couldn't make it. Karl Wallace (artistic director of City of Culture 2014) explained that we had hoped to hear from government what our budget for next year is in September, but now that has been delayed until Oct/Nov. He and his team have been asked to make three different budgets for the possibility of getting €3m, €6m, or €9m. It is being discussed that each discipline would get one major project funded, in the scenario that we receive the lowest budget. Yesterday's meeting was about discussing what craft would want as their main project. After discussing what was needed in the city and crafters the three main areas of retail, studio space, and teaching spaces was identified. We all discussed at length how these three strands are intrinsically linked and essential to furthering the craft identity in Limerick.

Karl has asked us to meet as a group to discuss this idea further, due to a tight schedule the date for this meeting has been set for this Monday 12th of August at 2pm in City Hall. At this meeting we will be discussing;

Who would be seriously commited to moving their studio to a city centre space
Who could commit to full/part time in the retail section
Who is interested/trained in giving craft demonstrations
Possible locations for this space
Who is seriously committed/available to furthering this project
What specific needs for studio spaces (electricity/water/outdoor space)

Your attendance at this meeting would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards
Ruth Crean

Mikael Fernstrom

Aug 10, 2013, 4:40:32 PM8/10/13
to limerick-h...@googlegroups.com
I can't be there, as I'm in Sweden until the 13th of August.
/m