network streaming

Paul Dunn

Dec 18, 2014, 9:32:45 AM12/18/14
to lightsh...@googlegroups.com
Probably not a good time for most people, but if anybody has more than 1 Pi and would like to help me test my streaming code, that would be appreciated
https://Paul...@bitbucket.org/PaulDunn/lightshowpi.git

then checkout dev3

There is a new section at the bottom of defaults.cfg for [network] that lists the port and mode. defaults: port right now is 8888 and mode is off.
set one pi's mode to
mode=broadcast
and others to
mode=slave

streaming is UDP and according to wireshark about 1kbps (give or take ;-)
"protocol" is one that I just made up
channel=brightness
so each pi needs to have the same number of channels at this point.

there are still some issues to work out (pre- and post- shows currently don't stream)

still trying to decide if this should be posted to the plus site. obviously more people testing would be better, but I want to make sure that people there would understand that this is 'beta'
and best option would be separate SD cards so it doesn't screw up their real show

cheers!

chris usey

Dec 18, 2014, 9:47:51 AM12/18/14
to lightsh...@googlegroups.com
Paul,

I have a few spare pi’s that I can test with. Ill try to down the code today and test it out. what build is it based on (current master, stable, etc?).. Does the slave box mirror the  channels of the master or can different ports be configured per client?

--
http://www.lightshowpi.com/
---

Paul

Dec 18, 2014, 9:56:44 AM12/18/14
to lightsh...@googlegroups.com
it's based off master and of course is a "few" commits behind.

 All the master is going to do is stream out something like:
channel = brightness:
0=0.5
1=0
2=0.8
etc for each channel.
then the slave can  have PWM where the other is onoff or the other way 'round.
you could easily also do say 8 channels on master and 16 on slave, but have the slave set to mirror them..

the master just uses all of the normal stuff, but the slaves go into a new subroutine to just pull data from the network and not worry about anything else.. if you take a look at the code, you will see
def netslave(port):
in there which just reads from the net and then makes the calls to hardware controller to turn lights on/off/pwm.

thanks

chris usey

Dec 18, 2014, 10:33:18 AM12/18/14
to lightsh...@googlegroups.com
Very Nice ! Ill def try to look at it today.  So this sort of mimics and implements what we all talked about a few weeks back?

Paul

Dec 18, 2014, 11:21:19 AM12/18/14
to lightsh...@googlegroups.com
thanks.
yes it does, minus a few of the things we discussed which still need to be added.