How to get inline eval to work

Tomás Pinto

Dec 10, 2017, 6:41:03 AM12/10/17
to Light Table Discussion
Hey there,

I recently got interested in Clojure and started following some tutorials and reading some documentation to get started with it. Up until now I've been using the terminal to play with the language as I learn. In the meantime I found about Light Table and the editor seemed to me extremely exciting especially since I could do inline eval. A lot simpler to look at the code and way more practical than the command line tool. But I ran into a problem, I can't open an instarepl, connect to a project.clj or anything. I always get the same message, which I'll attach to this post.

Is there something I'm not getting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Tomás
Screen Shot 2017-12-10 at 11.32.28.png

Martin Zapata

Dec 12, 2017, 3:51:15 PM12/12/17
to Light Table Discussion
Hey Tomas,

Sorry to hear your project isn't working in LightTable.

I did some quick digging around and it looks like there might be a couple of issues:
- It appears the library you are using "dynapath" (https://github.com/tobias/dynapath) doesn't exactly work well with Java 9. Are you using Java 9? Here is an issue from the past (https://github.com/tobias/dynapath/issues/7)
- Since you just got started with Clojure, I'm going to assume you aren't using dynapath directly (i.e. you don't have it declared in your project.clj) but instead are using it through a build tool, perhaps boot?
- If you are using leiningen, there also appears to be an issue there with Java 9 (https://github.com/technomancy/leiningen/issues/2149). Maybe this is the issue you are encountering? If so, then follow along in that Github issue for possible solutions, there were various including downgrading to Java 8, setting some environment variable or updating to the latest version of lein.
- Can you compile this project outside of LT using the command line? I ask as maybe there is an issue in the project and environment and not inside of LT.

Hope that helps or at least give you a nod in the right direction :)

Martin

Tomás Pinto

Dec 19, 2017, 4:10:19 AM12/19/17
to Light Table Discussion
Yes it seems Java 9 is causing a lot of conflicts with other software, including Netbeans that simply doesn't work with Java 9.

Thank you for your help.