Wanting to use Light Table as my IDE, How do I go about setting up things so I'm doing it the right way?

Adam Warnock

Feb 28, 2017, 2:10:18 PM2/28/17
to Light Table Discussion
I want to preface this by saying that I know I have been doing this wrong and I want to do it right. I also have some constraints to work in, so if I say I can't change it, then it's out of my hands and all I can do is ask.

That said, I've been using Aptana Studio for a while (since 2011ish), but now things are getting to the point where I need to find a better tool that supports modern languages and standards. I've been using the FTP feature of Aptana Studio to make edits to the code, and that's one of the things that I know now that I've been doing wrong.

Light Table seems to be a good choice as a replacement, but I need to be able to access and edit files on a remote server, so if I do use Light Table, what else do I need to do to properly set up a development environment? The constraints I mentioned are that it needs to work in Windows 8.1 and that any FTP client needs to be able to use active mode to access the server.

Thanks for any help you guys can give.

Scott Bauer

Mar 2, 2017, 10:47:46 PM3/2/17
to Light Table Discussion
Hi Adam,

Full Disclosure: I typically don't use the workflow you describe to edit files on a remote server... So anything I write here is purely based on about ten minutes of testing.

I was able to come up with a really rough test using a NAS connected to my network and a small toy project. It seemed to have worked without issue. Inline eval worked for the project as well as viewing and saving files from the project stored on the NAS. I was using Windows 8.1 and Light Table 0.8.0 (just the version on the system... should still work fine with 0.8.1 I think).

I am not sure about active mode with regards to the server, though. You might have to do some testing to confirm that one.

Cursive is another solid replacement that might meet your requirements, should Light Table's FTP functionality not pan out... feel free to open an issue if you find it is lacking.

Hope that helps,

Scott

hhh

Aug 6, 2017, 1:16:41 AM8/6/17
to Light Table Discussion
Where can I find FTP information for Ligth Table?