Installing LightTable Developer edition on Windows

Nilo de Roock

Dec 5, 2016, 5:31:15 PM12/5/16
to Light Table Discussion
I use Windows10 and want to install the developer edition of LightTable.

Why would anyone need Cgywin on Windows?? Windows10 has a native bash shell. See: http://www.howtogeek.com/265900/everything-you-can-do-with-windows-10s-new-bash-shell/

What is the underlying reason LightTable requires Linux anyway?

What am I missing?

Scott Bauer

Dec 5, 2016, 5:40:39 PM12/5/16
to Light Table Discussion
Those instructions were written before Windows 10 had a native bash shell and have not been updated. It is possible Cygwin or Mingw are no longer necessary, but I have not personally attempted to develop Light Table on Windows... so I cannot attest if this is still a requirement.

As for the underlying reason, I cannot say either. If I had to guess, it might involve Node, Electron, lein, or another dependency... but again that would just be a guess as those all should work on Windows.

I'd say give it a try with Windows 10's native bash shell and see what errors occur. It would be helpful to know the results of your experimentation such that the wiki can be updated.

Hopefully someone else can provide more concrete information!

Nilo de Roock

Dec 5, 2016, 5:51:51 PM12/5/16
to Light Table Discussion

On Monday, December 5, 2016 at 11:40:39 PM UTC+1, Scott Bauer wrote:

I'd say give it a try with Windows 10's native bash shell and see what errors occur. It would be helpful to know the results of your experimentation such that the wiki can be updated.

Thanks for your reply.

I will give it a try and report back.

Rob Jentzema

Jan 16, 2017, 9:19:12 AM1/16/17
to Light Table Discussion
Leiningen works fine under powershell and LightTable doesn't require cygwin or any bash-like shell for that matter.

I recall it has always used node.js shelljs library for its mkdir, touch and friends.

LT doesn't require Linux per se but Windows has been a dreaded experience so far, many issues hard to solve tend to pop-up, perhaps because so few people use it - then it becomes harder to get solutions (together).

I would always, always prefer Linux to run and use LT on. Far less quirks.

Rob Jentzema

Jan 16, 2017, 1:16:04 PM1/16/17
to Light Table Discussion
Ok I should nuance that a bit. Currently in the process of building my own LT on Windows. The `script/build.sh` file requires `lein` since it is a `.sh` script it should use a bash shell. It could be the Windows 10 on I guess but personally I really prefer using Git for Windows Bash shell that comes with it. Since I'll need git anyway, this is just handy. I haven't even found the whole new Windows *nix shell and I've been using it for a while now. Installing lein for powershell/cmd takes a custom installer, so I wasn't exactly correct in my previous post.