LightTable on Yosemite 10.10.1

tcr...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2014, 5:48:33 PM12/31/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I recently upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.1 and now LT is impossible to use. After about 20 min my CPU maxes out and just typing a keystroke takes several minutes. I see these issues are somewhat known with a recent upgrade to nodewebkit to as a solution, however that change was backed out and since then dev activity has pretty much stopped on the main branch and moved over to the atom-shell branch. I also looked into the atom-shell branch and after several attempts I have not gotten anything working. My most recent problem comes from just trying to eval some CLJ code:

cljs
Invalid behavior: :lt.plugins.clojure/eval!
TypeError: Cannot read property 'call' of undefined
    at notify (/Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/plugins/clojure/clojure_compiled.js:1243:23)
    at check_all (/Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/plugins/clojure/clojure_compiled.js:1258:83)
    at try_connect (/Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/plugins/clojure/clojure_compiled.js:326:38)
    at lt.objs.eval.find_client (file:///Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:30969:16)
    at lt.objs.eval.get_client_BANG_ (file:///Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:30996:32)
    at Function.__BEH__eval_BANG_ (/Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/plugins/clojure/clojure_compiled.js:399:69)
    at c (file:///Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:6196:14)
    at a (file:///Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:6236:18)
    at c (file:///Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:20443:76)
    at a (file:///Users/Me/Applications/LightTable/deploy/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:20477:18)

The same code, however, evals fine using LT main branch.

Can the organizers/managers of LT kick in and layout what they do know about the state of LightTable on Yosemite and provide some guidance as to what the plan is?

Thanks,
Tim

Sean Corfield

Dec 31, 2014, 6:19:04 PM12/31/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I’m not one of the "organizers/managers of LT" but I’ll kick in and explain what I know…

There have been several threads about this issue (it’s a bug in node-webkit, not LT), along with other threads about how to get the atom-shell version running (it requires different instructions to the node-webkit version).

The upgraded node-webkit had to be backed out because it caused complete freezes (so it was worse than the slow / laggy behavior on Yosemite).

Here’s what I did to run the atom-shell version:

(stuff you need to run once)

* git clone g...@github.com:LightTable/LightTable.git
* cd LightTable
* git checkout atom-shell
* sh script/build.sh

(note: the latter used to be sh osx_deps.sh but that was removed very recently)

(stuff you run each time to start LT)

* ./deploy/run.sh

I’m happily using this for all my day-to-day editing. I pick up the latest atom-shell build every day or so and apart from a few quirks with certain plugins (notably Recall not working), I’ve been very happy with it.

Sean

tcr...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2014, 6:58:41 PM12/31/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sean, thanks for your reply and your involvement.

I had already followed the previous post where you provided those instructions - that's what lead me to where I am now with my current error (open LT, open a file, select some code, cmd+enter). And yes I noticed the recent changes as well, the osx_script is gone and the instructions have not been updated. Frankly I get the impression the atom-shell is just not stable at all, and is undergoing such heavy-lifting it seems futile to even try. I can't help but suggest people should wait for something a little more solid before suggesting countless users spend a bunch of hours trying follow along. So far you are one of the few I see having it working well enough to use day to day, which is great if you can get there, but many of us can not and that's the reason for the post. A little less coding and little more communication is probably called for at this point.

Cheers,
Tim

Sean Corfield

Dec 31, 2014, 7:29:25 PM12/31/14
On Dec 31, 2014, at 3:58 PM, tcr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I had already followed the previous post where you provided those instructions

Just to clarify: my previous post had _different_ instructions (running osx_deps.sh previously, now replaced by script/build.sh).

> Frankly I get the impression the atom-shell is just not stable at all, and is undergoing such heavy-lifting it seems futile to even try.

I’m finding it rock solid - apart from Recall not working, which makes me keep LT open much longer than I used to :)

To be clear: the atom-shell branch has never been claimed to be stable by the LT team, so it’s definitely "caveat developer" if you try to use it. I have no idea how many developers are even trying to run the atom-shell version.

This is the first time I’ve updated a Mac O/S "early". I have been a Mac user for 20 years and I normally _never_ update until at least the .2 update and even then only if I don’t see problems being posted about it. I was previously on 10.8 - I hadn’t even moved to 10.9 - but I try not to get _two_ full versions behind, so I jumped early to 10.10 — and I expected problems with some stuff. I also have no idea how many Clojure/ClojureScript developers are running Yosemite.

Oh, and I’m running Java 8 as well - again, probably on the bleeding edge for developers on a Mac?

LightTable is free, open source software, that is still prerelease. Even without the Yosemite issues with node-webkit, folks should expect bumps along the road with LightTable’s "official" releases because it is pre-1.0.

Sean Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."

tcr...@gmail.com

Dec 31, 2014, 8:00:16 PM12/31/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
> my previous post had _different_ instructions.
I had tried script/build.sh already. osx_deps.sh at least worked, script/build.sh hangs (at least for me).

As for the rest...

I'm just raising awareness and openly asking for more communication on an issue. I know atom-shell is not claimed to be stable, and I know this is open source and free software, but does that mean we shouldn't put forth our experiences and circumstances on the discussion board? If we, the ones hitting issues, don't raise these issues and discuss them how would the contributors know there are problems that are being hit? How would they know if its' just one or two people with circumstantial issues vs. many people unless we speak up? How would other users, whom are considering an upgrade, know the current state of affairs, unless we speak up?

Cheers,
Tim

Sean Corfield

Dec 31, 2014, 9:40:33 PM12/31/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I didn’t mean to sound like I was trying to squash the discussion, just trying to set expectations.

I know the LT team use LT daily for all their editing (they’ve said so publicly several times) so they’ll be aware of some issues but it would seem likely their experience is closer to mine in terms of mainline functionality working just fine. That means the best thing you - and others running into problems - can do is to see if you can do some debugging and figure out what’s failing for you locally, and then open issues on Github with details of what you’ve found.

Unless the LT team can reproduce a bug or have a pull request on hand to review, there’s probably very little they can do about something that’s hitting some users but not others.

One of the quirks I have run into several times is that pressing g doesn’t work anywhere in the editor immediately after startup - I have to press g twice. It seems that if I press alt-g and then go on to do other stuff, regular g starts working. I haven’t yet identified a completely reproducible path to this (and I suspect it’s more likely caused by one of my plugins not being compatible with atom-shell) but when I can repro, I’ll try to track down what’s causing it and see if I can figure out a fix and submit that as a PR. So far, the only person I’ve seen report this quirk is me so I can only assume it’s working fine for others (which is why I suspect a plugin!).

Sean

TLightSky

Jan 2, 2015, 6:30:47 AM1/2/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Hi,I also meet this problem today.
I have get one atom-shell version run before.
But I get a lot of conflicts while "git pull origin atom-shell".
so I'll try to setup atom-shell version again.
I'll post some feedback later.

Sean,Thanks for your help again~

会当凌绝顶,一览众山小

Gabriel Horner

Jan 2, 2015, 1:25:45 PM1/2/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
We rebased the branch at some point. Deleting the branch and doing a fresh checkout should resolve this.

Gabriel Horner

Jan 2, 2015, 1:53:16 PM1/2/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tim,

Sean's responses are spot on. atom-shell branch has been steadily improving for those of us using it on osx. Windows and linux support still need more work. Instructions for using it are kept up to date in this pull request [1].

The plan hasn't changed - we still plan on switching to atom-shell as previously discussed in these threads [2] [3] [4].
As for your issue, I don't have the bandwidth to dig into it while answering 10+ issues a week and working on this major migration on my spare time during the holidays. Please provide reproducible steps like any bug report [5] and hopefully others can chime in.

Cheers,
Gabriel

Thanks,
Tim

tcr...@gmail.com

Jan 2, 2015, 5:57:58 PM1/2/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gabriel,

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Normally I wouldn't even attempt to use atom-shell given it's obviously under construction, I only did so after upgrading to Yosemite and discovered LT-main became unusable. That said, a week from now this post will fall off the page and new comers will not know of the issues. Given that people don't search discussion groups for things they are not aware of it might be worth having a proper place for notifications. One that can be used to let people know LT on Yosemite is encountering problems. Doing something like this may free up valuable time for everyone.

For anyone else who might be stuck like I was: Today I spent time looking into alternatives and so far have gotten lien-figwheel to work. I'm using it with the Nightcode editor, which has come along way. It's worthing noting that fig-wheel can be used with any editor as it simply triggers off saves. I'm only a few hours in, but so far it's is meeting all my clojure/clojurescript needs and the performance is awesome.

I'll take a look at LT, again, when it appears to be in better condition.

Cheers
Tim

TLightSky

Jan 3, 2015, 4:05:12 AM1/3/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for response

I setup atom-shell branch again
after scripts/build.sh, I start it by builds/lighttable-0.8.0-mac
everything works quite well for now :)

Pritam

Jan 4, 2015, 6:58:40 PM1/4/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I'm now able to evaluate a Clojure project. But if I open a Cljs project (version is 0.0-2511), connect to LT browser, and evaluate cljs, I get the following error:

  • Invalid behavior: :lt.objs.browser/cljs-exec
  • Error: No protocol method IDeref.-deref defined for type string: browser133
        at Error (native)
        at cljs.core.missing_protocol (file:///~/LightTable/builds/lighttable-0.8.0-mac/LightTable.app/Contents/Resources/app/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:1460:77)
        at cljs.core._deref (file:///~/LightTable/builds/lighttable-0.8.0-mac/LightTable.app/Contents/Resources/app/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:2181:38)
        at cljs.core.deref (file:///~/LightTable/builds/lighttable-0.8.0-mac/LightTable.app/Contents/Resources/app/core/node_modules/lighttable/bootstrap.js:12879:27)

On Dec 31, 2014, at 5:00 PM, tcr...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm just raising awareness and openly asking for more communication on an issue. I know atom-shell is not claimed to be stable, and I know this is open source and free software, but does that mean we shouldn't put forth our experiences and circumstances on the discussion board? If we, the ones hitting issues, don't raise these issues and discuss them how would the contributors know there are problems that are being hit? How would they know if its' just one or two people with circumstantial issues vs. many people unless we speak up? How would other users, whom are considering an upgrade, know the current state of affairs, unless we speak up?

会当凌绝顶,一览众山小

会当凌绝顶,一览众山小

Benjamin VanRyseghem

Jan 5, 2015, 3:13:41 AM1/5/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com, light-table...@googlegroups.com
isn’t this error related to the latest changes in clojurescript regarding the REPL management (they announced to break all third parties cljs repl)?

My 2cts,
Ben

会当凌绝顶,一览众山小

会当凌绝顶,一览众山小

Gabriel Horner

Jan 5, 2015, 9:16:43 AM1/5/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Porting browser eval to atom-shell is one of the few features left to do.

Cheers,
Gabriel

Mike Haney

Jan 5, 2015, 4:16:50 PM1/5/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
My understanding is that when you evaluate against the LT browser, it is using whatever version of Clojurescript that LT is using, which tends to lag behind a bit. That's why I always evaluate against an external browser, since its environment will be whatever my app has defined. I've never had problems with using newer Clojurescript versions by doing it this way.

Sean Corfield

Jan 5, 2015, 5:18:40 PM1/5/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
As Gabriel says, this is due to atom-shell not currently implementing browser eval - not about versions of cljs.

Magnus Rundberget

Mar 18, 2015, 4:55:23 AM3/18/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
How is the move to atom-shell progressing ? Any timeline for a version 0.8 ?

cheers
Magnus
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to light-table-discussion+unsubscri...@googlegroups.com.

会当凌绝顶,一览众山小

会当凌绝顶,一览众山小

Chris Granger

Mar 19, 2015, 6:39:30 PM3/19/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
The new version of atom-shell the fixes the last issue I know of came out yesterday, but seems to mess a couple things up. I'm going to try and get that fixed this weekend, so assuming I can fix that, next week!

Magnus Rundberget

Mar 20, 2015, 5:22:28 AM3/20/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good !

I'm guessing a clojurescript upgrade is not going to happen any time soon ?
(context: tried to use https://github.com/lbradstreet/instaparse-cljs from a plugin without much success, probably due to a too old version of clojurescript in LT)

cheers
Magnus

Chris Granger

Mar 20, 2015, 11:15:33 AM3/20/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I updating CLJS while I was at Hacker School and nearly everything broke without any errors or any obvious reason why. I'll take a look at it again over the weekend, but I suspect we won't do it for 0.8. I think there's a larger and more fundamental discussion we should probably have anyways to determine what the correct path forward is.