Nooby questions

Ken Tilton

May 17, 2016, 11:44:59 AM5/17/16
to Light Table Discussion
I just started looking at LightTable and so far it looks great.

A few minor issues I thought I would ask about en masse just as a sanity check:
  • I could not find any way to revert a changed file to its most recent version. Easy enough to close without saving and re-open, but I am wondering if I missed it.
  • LT does not seem to honor the clipboard coming from other apps. Was I doing something wrong?
  • I installed the Emacs bindings and control-space no longer takes me to the commands pane. OTOH...
  • M-x (Alt-x on Ubuntu) does, but then I am unable to get to the Emacs commands
  • Speaking of Emacs/Codemirror, the doc is clear that only so much has been implemented, but it strikes me as perhaps prohibitively too little. I am also new to Emacs (though after twenty years on another Emacs-like editor) and have never hacked together my own keychords -- maybe it is time?
kt

Kenneth Tilton

May 17, 2016, 1:24:02 PM5/17/16
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, May 17, 2016 at 11:44 AM, Ken Tilton <kent...@gmail.com> wrote:
I just started looking at LightTable and so far it looks great.

A few minor issues I thought I would ask about en masse just as a sanity check:
  • I could not find any way to revert a changed file to its most recent version. Easy enough to close without saving and re-open, but I am wondering if I missed it.
  • LT does not seem to honor the clipboard coming from other apps. Was I doing something wrong?

OK, right-click paste covers that. -kt

  • I installed the Emacs bindings and control-space no longer takes me to the commands pane. OTOH...
  • M-x (Alt-x on Ubuntu) does, but then I am unable to get to the Emacs commands
  • Speaking of Emacs/Codemirror, the doc is clear that only so much has been implemented, but it strikes me as perhaps prohibitively too little. I am also new to Emacs (though after twenty years on another Emacs-like editor) and have never hacked together my own keychords -- maybe it is time?
kt

Kenneth Tilton
54 Isle of Venice Dr, Apt 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301

Kenny Evitt

Jun 2, 2016, 2:51:31 PM6/2/16
to Light Table Discussion, k...@tiltontec.com
I don't think there's anything to revert a file to its version on disk. That'd probably be a relatively easy enough plugin to implement tho.

I can't remember having any problems with the clipboard on Mac or Windows computers, but I think maybe there are issues with the system keybindings, or maybe different clipboard 'registers' (a la Vim). The first thing I can think to suggest is to try Shift+Ins for pasting in LT.

I don't use the Emacs features myself but how did you enable them? Are you using the Emacs plugin? I've run into problems, or at least behavior that seemed weird to me, testing the Emacs stuff in the past.

Yeah, we're just using what CodeMirror has bothered to implement – or what the Emacs plugin adds on top of that. I haven't used Emacs close to enough to comment on whether what's available is good enough.

On Tuesday, May 17, 2016 at 1:24:02 PM UTC-4, Kenneth Tilton wrote:
[...]

Kenneth Tilton

Jun 2, 2016, 4:04:19 PM6/2/16
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the reply. I honestly do not remember, I have been thrashing pretty hard getting used to the impressive tooling in/around Clojure.

For now I am using LightTable just for minor edits where I prefer the workspace for navigating my project -- not a strong suit for Emacs -- so I am OK as is.

Thanks again, kt

Kenneth Tilton
54 Isle of Venice Dr, Apt 5
Fort Lauderdale, FL 33301