Moving a file via existing "rename" context menu item?

Kenny Evitt

Aug 12, 2016, 9:20:15 AM8/12/16
to Light Table Discussion
Scott Bauer has submitted a PR that extends the existing workspace "Rename" context menu item to show the full path of the file or directory. Thanks Scott!

By default only the filename is selected but any portion of the path can be modified (tho non-existent directories are not created).

It'd be great for people to test the changes and offer any feedback they have. Let me know here or in the Gitter room if you need any help building the source code to test the PR's changes.

Some questions I'd like to resolve based on feedback of others that currently use the rename feature and would like a move file/directory feature in the workspace sidebar:
  1. Are the changes in this PR fine as a replacement for the existing "Rename" feature? Or should the new UI require an option to be set (i.e. in user.behaviors)?
  2. How important or useful is it that the new rename/move feature creating directories that don't exist that are in the new path you enter?
  3. Are there any changes that should be made to the UI for the new rename/move?
  4. Should the name of the menu item be changed to reflect the features new semantics?
The feature and its UI were inspired by the equivalent feature in the Atom editor; here's a screenshot of it in Atom:

Scott Bauer

Aug 12, 2016, 5:31:53 PM8/12/16
to Light Table Discussion
Thanks for opening this discussion, Kenny Evitt!

Some comments regarding each question:
  1. In the event it is preferred to not replace the "rename" functionality but still retain the work, it could be easily moved to a new context menu option such as "move", which dovetails nicely with question #4.
  2. I do have some code stashed (not in this pull request) that can create directories that don't exist in the new path you enter. Not complete, but it could be used as a starter if we want to punt that for a future issue.
  3. Happy to make changes to the UI - just let me know, or better yet, provide a mockup!
  4. Same as above.

One thing that would be really helpful is pointing out any bugs, should any be found. I am currently aware of one that occurs when renaming a project level folder.

An additional question to consider is if it is desired to not the entire path of the file, or if it should be shortened to only display the relative path from within the project workspace? For instance, instead of a path like "/home/sbauer/Documents/dev/LightTable/src/README.md" it is displayed as "src/object.cljs" as the LightTable folder is the project level folder.

Thanks all!

Scott Bauer

Aug 19, 2016, 10:53:00 PM8/19/16
to Light Table Discussion
All listed bugs up to this post have been resolved.