Pair programming with Light Table?

Adam Saleh

Jan 14, 2014, 6:43:07 AM1/14/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Is there a way to do pair programming with ligth-table?
I remember, that back in the day you did run lightable in a browser,
but last post mentioning that is more than year old,
and goes along the lines of "that was cool, but old codebase, we will look into it in future"[1]

So, is it the future yet? :-)

While having just a server running in my environment a others colaborating from browsers would be great,
 I would gladly use some sort of plugin if aviable :-)

Adam

[1] https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/light-table-discussion/bZ_5YYutNz4/sOY3BQeU3XwJ

Jamie Brandon

Jan 14, 2014, 12:46:03 PM1/14/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I did a proof-of-concept firepad integration a few months ago -
https://github.com/jamii/lt-share

It needs work on the LT side to be useable (command to share an
editor, ui to show open connections) but the firepad side is sorted.

Chris Gray

Jan 14, 2014, 1:39:17 PM1/14/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I would also like to see the ability to edit using light table on my Chromebook using a connection from my desktop.  There would need to be some security for that to work, but it would be awesome.
> email to light-table-discussion+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Clinton Dreisbach

Jan 14, 2014, 1:50:03 PM1/14/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Floobits works with Sublime Text, Vim, and Emacs -- no reason why it should be hard to make a Light Table plugin for it (https://floobits.com/).

Serzh Nechyporchuk

Mar 21, 2014, 3:38:10 AM3/21/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Does anybody know where to find documentation for floobits api?

Вівторок, 14 січня 2014 р. 13:43:07 UTC+2 користувач Adam Saleh написав:

cldwalker

Oct 4, 2014, 6:36:26 PM10/4/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com, ja...@scattered-thoughts.net
Jamie, thanks for the proof of concept. I've polished it some on this fork [1]. The fork fixed a css issue and has user-friendly commands to share and attach sessions between LightTable editors.
The plugin can also share between a LightTable editor and a browser editor [2]. Instructions to do either are in the readme. If others are interested, I can polish it a little more and publish it as a plugin.

While looking into a pairing solution, I also came across sharejs [3]. The main thing it offers is complete control of your data. However, you do have to run a server in order to share. I'll look into it more if I ever need complete privacy. For now, the firebase solution is good enough for me.

Cheers,

Josh Cole

Oct 7, 2014, 7:28:55 PM10/7/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com, ja...@scattered-thoughts.net
I'm absolutely interested in seeing this as a published plugin, cldwalker. I've been doing a fair bit of informal clojure instruction using LT. We've been making due with hangouts + screensharing, but a proper pair programming solution would be ideal.

Gabriel Horner

Oct 8, 2014, 12:22:12 AM10/8/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com, ja...@scattered-thoughts.net
Cool. I can publish this soon. I'm hesitant to call this a proper pair programming solution as hinted here [1] because it's fairly limited. Unlike vim or emacs, we can't share autocompletion, eval-ing or almost any LT feature. Mostly what we can share is the ability to edit the same file. And for each new file, the user has to attach to another connection. I think this combined with screen-sharing (to see evaling) could still be productive.

As an aside, I think this plugin could be a good fit for swarm coding i.e. multiple users pairing on a common exercise [2]. Unlike their setup, we wouldn't need ssh, a server or even a common editor. As long as someone is on the internet and they have a connection id, they could even join with their browser. And for LT users, they can each pair with their own keybindings e.g. emacs or vim.

cldwalker

Oct 10, 2014, 3:24:48 PM10/10/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com, ja...@scattered-thoughts.net
Plugin published and renamed to Share [1] Cheers!

Sean Corfield

Oct 10, 2014, 4:31:50 PM10/10/14
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
This is very cool but it was somewhat unintuitive for me... The shared editing certainly works well. I tried it between my Mac desktop and my Windows laptop and it was great to see the content staying in sync as it was edited on each side! Impressive!

I have the same code on two machines (from Git). I opened LT on both, opened a file and shared that tab from one machine, then opened the same file on the other machine and attached to the session... which gave me two copies of the tab contents on both machines (i.e., the file's content twice). So for pairing on the same code base it seems... odd... So the person attaching would need to create an empty scratch file? In the same project (so local evaluation etc would work)?

Also I couldn't figure out how to open just a blank new tab in LT...

Sean
signature.asc

Gabriel Horner

Oct 12, 2014, 8:58:58 AM10/12/14
On Fri, Oct 10, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Sean Corfield <se...@corfield.org> wrote:
This is very cool but it was somewhat unintuitive for me... The shared editing certainly works well. I tried it between my Mac desktop and my Windows laptop and it was great to see the content staying in sync as it was edited on each side! Impressive!

I have the same code on two machines (from Git). I opened LT on both, opened a file and shared that tab from one machine, then opened the same file on the other machine and attached to the session... which gave me two copies of the tab contents on both machines (i.e., the file's content twice). So for pairing on the same code base it seems... odd... So the person attaching would need to create an empty scratch file? In the same project (so local evaluation etc would work)?

I can understand the confusion if expecting `tmux attach` behavior. The current workflow only supports syncing to a new file but I'd be happy to take a pull which is smart enough to sync between
two files containing the same content. Relevant fn is here [1]. If the current instructions [2] are confusing, happy to get specific feedback. The new file does need to be in the same project. I've added that to the readme.

Also I couldn't figure out how to open just a blank new tab in LT...

`File: new file` or cmd-n on a mac should do it. Added to the readme.

Thanks for the feedback,
Gabriel

Devin Rhode

May 12, 2016, 8:34:43 PM5/12/16
to Light Table Discussion, nechyp...@gmail.com
Would also love to see floobits working in LightTable.