next release ?

david chollez

Feb 10, 2015, 1:22:10 PM2/10/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

When I first heard about LT, I was very impatient, then after the kickstarter project, It looks that the project change is goal to create a another revolutionary language (???)

I already hope that LT editor will be release one day, but even if some contributor improve code on github, there is no updates on the current version 0.7.2

Why never push corrections and improvements ?

Is there a version 0.8 in preparation or at least a 0.7.3 ?

I'm not as good to help community to build this project but with the kickstarter success ($316,720), I really think that the creator can finish his dev ...

Thanks for the commiters, I hope LT will be release one day ...

David James

Feb 14, 2015, 1:18:58 PM2/14/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com

When I first heard about LT, I was very impatient, then after the kickstarter project, It looks that the project change is goal to create a another revolutionary language (???)
Chris and his team are exploring new directions with Eve -- which I think is great. Light Table has strong momentum and contributors.

I already hope that LT editor will be release one day, but even if some contributor improve code on github, there is no updates on the current version 0.7.2
Light Table has been ready to use for some time. I don't quite follow your grammar here about "there is no updates on the current version 0.7.2". Maybe you mean that there are not currently releases *after* 0.7.2? I don't know how release planning works exactly. You can build from source in the meanwhile.

Why never push corrections and improvements ?
This is not true.  There are updates to the source code on a regular basis. See https://github.com/LightTable/LightTable/commits/master. Oh, maybe you are wondering why releases aren't pushed more often? I don't know the answer to that.

Is there a version 0.8 in preparation or at least a 0.7.3 ?
I don't know.

I'm not as good to help community to build this project but with the kickstarter success ($316,720), I really think that the creator can finish his dev ...
First off, what open-source text editor is ever "finished". Emacs has been in more-or-less regular development since 1976, for example.

Second, when I read what you wrote, it sounds a bit accusatory. Did you mean it that way? It seems to me a lot of effort and work has already gone into LT. Many people (even those who didn't contribute) benefit.

Now, generally speaking, one of the challenges with any community project (including crowdfunded project) is communicating how funds are used. In the traditional charity and not-for-profit worlds, some people like to see reports and other indicators of progress. It seems to me that for LT, the code itself serves as that accountability check. I trust that Chris and LT have put their time to good use. I don't have the Kickstarter metrics in front of me. I also don't know if they've reported on their burn rate. I also don't know if they've set money aside for stewardship of the project. I suppose these kinds of  questions are fair game, but I'm not particularly worried. In any case, they've demonstrated commitment and hard work on Light Table.

Thanks for the commiters, I hope LT will be release one day ...
I'm not following. Like I've mentioned, LT is ready to use (and has been for some time). It is certainly not perfect. Perhaps you can dive and and raise specific issues as you encounter them?

Magnus Rundberget

Feb 18, 2015, 3:54:45 AM2/18/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
Hi !

First of all let me say i'm using LightTable (0.7.2) for clojure development/clojurescript development  everyday. It's definately more than usable. Kudos to all the contributors for taking Light Table this far !

I would be lying if I said I haven't considered switching my everyday editor to emacs/vim or cursive.
Some of the reasons for that are:
a) Lack of a clearly coomunicated roadmap.
b) Lack of communication of what's been worked on in core and when to expect a new version
c) Frequency of releases (would love to see a new release every 1-2 months). That would be a clear signal that Light Table is really alive and kicking
d) No regular news update from the core contributors (either here in the mailing list or as a blog post)

I understand that there is a lot of work going on with changing from node-webkit to atom-shell. It would be nice with an update on how that is progressing and what benefits that will provide. At some point there was work going on with regards to changing both how styling and layout of Light Table is to be structured/implemented,
is this work progressing ?

I fully realize that LightTable is opensource and it's up to the community to make it the editor we wish for it to be. I for one have created several plugins, but haven't yet made any contributions to Light Table core or any of the bundled plugins. I guess I've come to the point where my clojure/clojurescript foo makes that a realistic option.

Some of the features I'm missing I might be able to contribute to  implementing, others probably beyond my abilities.
A few examples:
- The paredit plugin feels quite limited and I (and probably many others) really miss the option of a "strict mode". Maybe this is something to consider in a road map and/or explicitly call for contributors to (I don't feel qualified to do much here quite yet)
- Refactoring support in Clojure. This is something I might be able to help out with either through the clojure plugin, or alternatively a separate plugin
- Streamlining submission of plugins (and bring back or even improve plugin download stats and perhaps add a plugin rating feature)
- Support for testing of plugins (could help improving quality of plugins dramatically)

To summarize:
I don't share the OP's view on LightTable to living up to it's promise in terms of the KickStarter, but I do feel Light Table would really benefit from clearer and much more frequent communications with the community. People (like me) get insecure about the future of Light Table when things go silent and releases stop coming.
Addressing that insecurity I believe would both boost the willingness to contribute and most likely retain and grow the userbase.

I'm very grateful for the effort that has been put into Light Table. Keep up the great work !

cheers
Magnus

Chris Granger

Feb 18, 2015, 12:19:56 PM2/18/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I'll try to get some time in while we're at Hacker School. Gabriel has been doing a ton of work on issues, the faq, and build stuff. Josh has spent his time on issues and other non-code things as well - that stuff takes up a lot of time. I also think people have just been really busy. I know in our case we've had two people start this month and we've been heads down getting Eve ready for HS.

I think I did the last big thing necessary for the atom-shell stuff so we should be able to get 0.8 out soon. The benefits there are significantly better dev tools, much, much better performance, closer tracking to chrome latest, and it completely removed a bunch of pauses and random stalls we were seeing especially on OSX.

david chollez

Feb 20, 2015, 2:58:11 PM2/20/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
happy to read your answers

this is exactly the kind of communication I was waiting for. Not more

note : even if it's possible to compile his own version of LT, I prefer waiting for next release

regards

Sean Corfield

Feb 20, 2015, 3:10:27 PM2/20/15
On Feb 18, 2015, at 9:19 AM, Chris Granger <ibd...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I think I did the last big thing necessary for the atom-shell stuff so we should be able to get 0.8 out soon.

Browser eval?

I’ve been running the latest build of the atom-shell branch and that still seemed to be missing the last time I tried it…

I pull (and build if necessary) every day and do all my work in that version. Apart from an initialization quirk (with one of the plugins I use I think) and the lack of the Recall plugin working, it’s pretty solid, aside from workspace searches occasionally just not completing (requiring a restart to run any more searches). If I could nail down a repro case, I’d open a ticket :)

Sean Corfield -- (904) 302-SEAN

"Perfection is the enemy of the good."

Chris Granger

Feb 20, 2015, 3:35:30 PM2/20/15
to light-table...@googlegroups.com
I fixed browser eval recently

david chollez

Apr 17, 2017, 9:18:46 AM4/17/17
to Light Table Discussion
Correct me if I'm wrong but finally, the project ends

Because give it to community is sound like when Adobe give Flex to Apache, or Microsoft give Xamarin to community, without dedicated dev, the project die

I'm not really surprised, but after the kickstart campaign (316 720$), it's disappointing

I didn't look about for the revolutionary langage of LT's creators, but I think it followed the same destiny

T_T