Optima seats and sizes

Fergus

Apr 19, 2016, 2:46:33 AM4/19/16
to Ligfiets
Hi,
I'm about to buy an Optima Stinger and the seller does not know (nor do I) how to figure out what size the seat is. I'm 187cm in height so I believe I would need the largest seat i.e. Large as opposed to the Medium (default). Is there a marking on the seat somewhere?

Am I right in thinking all Optimas have the same fibreglass seats. If I needed to buy a seat where would I get one, is their a shop in Amsterdam where I could buy one new or secondhand? I have tried going to the Optima website but they seem to be closing down their manufacturing and their website is permanently down!

Any help would be appreciated

:)

Frank Cornelese

Apr 19, 2016, 3:00:02 AM4/19/16
to ligf...@googlegroups.com
I can't remember the specs of the optima seats but you should be able to buy a seat at any of the recumbent shops. Any fibreglass or carbon seat should fit, it doesn't have to be optima. All recumbent related businesses are listed on: http://en.ligfiets.net/company

Aikeau

Apr 19, 2016, 7:12:42 AM4/19/16
to Ligfiets
There is a recumbent bike shop near Amsterdam, in Zaandam: http://www.ligfietswinkel.nl/en/

Fergus

Apr 19, 2016, 11:17:57 AM4/19/16
to Ligfiets
Thank you Frank, I would assume that a generic seat would need to be drilled in the right places to fit the Optima Stinger seat brackets.

Fergus

Apr 19, 2016, 11:17:58 AM4/19/16
to Ligfiets
Thank you. I've managed to get in touch with Marcel at Optima Cycles (De Brugman 3-7, 1948 NB Beverwijk) and they have seats for sale. They are not too far from Amsterdam so I could cycle there.

Thomas Ribbrock

Apr 20, 2016, 11:07:42 AM4/20/16
to Ligfiets
On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 06:18:46AM -0700, Fergus wrote:
> Thank you. I've managed to get in touch with Marcel at Optima Cycles (De
> Brugman 3-7, 1948 NB Beverwijk) and they have seats for sale. They are not
> too far from Amsterdam so I could cycle there.

It's a bit late, but for the record: Optima has been selling spare parts
all the time online. The address of the website is:
http://recumbentparts.com/

Also, Optima is (usually) not selling the seats pre-drilled, at least
not online. As you are visiting them directly, you might be in luck,
though.

Thirdly, for a good reference with regard to the correct size (i.e.
dependent on the length of your back), you can have a look at the
Novosport pages: http://www.novosport.de/207#E-shortrecumbents
That should apply to the Optima seats as well, which - as far as I know
- are also rebranded Novosport seats. That page also has the typical
measurements of the Novosport seats.

Cheerio,

Thomas
Thomas Ribbrock http://www.ribbrock.org

Hein Pekelharing

May 8, 2016, 5:04:44 AM5/8/16
to Ligfiets
Hello Fergus, reading your request, I realised that I have a seat here, which has an adjustable length.
The (slotted) middle part can be extended by opening and tightening again of some screws.
The seat has been used on a tandem but not needed anymore and comes with a ventiseeat soft top.
My friend Rob is the owner and informed me you may have it for € 50.
kind regards, Hein Pekelharing. (GSM +31619342108)