Cassandra DB support with lift

Yogesh Pathade

Nov 3, 2017, 6:42:46 AM11/3/17
to Lift
Hi Team,

We are using Cassandra as our database with lift however I am not really sure if lift ORM framework (Record) has any implementation for Cassandra DB.
I have seen similar questions being asked in the past but dont have any latest information on the Cassandra DB Support. Any pointers or experiences will be really helpful.

Regards,
-yogesh.

Matt Farmer

Nov 3, 2017, 4:24:54 PM11/3/17
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

I actually don't know if Mapper or Record support Cassandra, but you're also not required to use Mapper or Record if they don't work for your needs. You can use the standard Cassandra library, or anything else. I've got a project I've been working on recently where I use Typesafe Slick to talk to MySQL instead of Mapper/Record. Works great.

Hopefully someone will chime in with a more knowledgable answer, but please do know you're not restricted to using Lift's ORM frameworks.

Thanks,
Matt

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Yogesh Pathade

Nov 7, 2017, 7:05:24 AM11/7/17
to Lift
Hi Matt,
Thanks for sharing your experience. I have came across some nice Scala DSL frameworks for Cassandra which looks good for our implementation
or else the Cassandra DB Driver native implementation is another option as well.

Regards,
-yogesh.

Henrik Härkönen

Nov 7, 2017, 12:43:37 PM11/7/17
to Lift
Have you tried Quill? It's very cool. I haven't tried with Cassandra, but it seems to support it as well as many SQL DBs. I'm using Quill now in my current Liftweb project and having fun with it. :)

Matt Farmer

Nov 7, 2017, 3:38:05 PM11/7/17
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I had never heard of quill and am now thinking I made a mistake in using Slick for my side project.

Peter Petersson

Nov 7, 2017, 4:30:05 PM11/7/17
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Very interesting, thanks for the link !

best regards Peter Petersson

Henrik Härkönen

Nov 8, 2017, 1:40:08 AM11/8/17
to Lift
It was quite mind blowing when I saw that I could generate SQL queries from a code block that was essentially an operation of in-memory collection, and also with for-comprehension style!

Another interesting SQL library is Doobie, if you like to hand craft your SQL: https://github.com/tpolecat/doobie

Only issue about Doobie is that somehow the IDEs like IntelliJ and ScalaIDE don't like the implicit sql interpolator, they complain about it, even though the project compiles and works ok.

-Henrik

Donald McLean

Nov 8, 2017, 9:27:28 AM11/8/17
to liftweb
Henrik,

Anytime you see syntax that compiles but is flagged by IntelliJ as
invalid, please file an issue.

Thanks,

Donald
Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that
legacy with a digital backup and recovery plan.

Henrik Härkönen

Nov 8, 2017, 10:48:18 AM11/8/17
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Seems that this issue is already recorded at JetBrains:

Also Doobie has similar ticket in GitHub, even while it's a IDE issue. There's some workarounds but I didn't get them to work either.

-Henrik

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Lift" group.

Yogesh Pathade

Nov 17, 2017, 9:16:12 AM11/17/17
to Lift
found reference to getquill from the lift forum it has certainly evolved and found really easy to integrate it with the data models (case classes)

Yogesh Pathade

Nov 17, 2017, 9:16:12 AM11/17/17
to Lift
Yep. I am using quill with Cassandra and it works like a charm.