Cannot create Lift projects using Maven and Netbeans

Akshay Dev Wankhede

Jun 16, 2010, 7:27:22 AM6/16/10
to Lift
Tried to create Lift project in NetBeans following is the error:

NetBeans: Executing '/home/akshay/opt/apache-maven-2.2.1/bin/mvn -
DarchetypeVersion=RELEASE -Darchetype.interactive=false -
DgroupId=com.radical -DarchetypeArtifactId=lift-archetype-basic -
DarchetypeRepository=http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases -
Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -DarchetypeGroupId=net.liftweb -
Darchetype.repository=http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases -Dbasedir=/
home/akshay/NetBeansProjects -Dpackage=com.radical.mavenproject1 -
DartifactId=mavenproject1 -Dnetbeans.execution=true --batch-mode --
errors -e org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:2.0-
alpha-4:generate'
NetBeans: JAVA_HOME=/opt/jdk1.6.0_03/jre
+ Error stacktraces are turned on.
Scanning for projects...
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/2.0-alpha-4/maven-archetype-plugin-2.0-alpha-4.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-
archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-4' from repository central (http://
repo1.maven.org/maven2): Error transferring file: repo1.maven.org
Downloading:
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/2.0-alpha-4/maven-archetype-plugin-2.0-alpha-4.pom
[WARNING] Unable to get resource 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-
archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-4' from repository central (http://
repo1.maven.org/maven2): Error transferring file: repo1.maven.org
[ERROR]BUILD ERROR
Error building POM (may not be this project's POM).

Project ID: org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin

Reason: POM 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' not
found in repository: Unable to download the artifact from any
repository

org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-4

from the specified remote repositories:
central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin

Trace
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.LifecycleExecutionException: Unable to
build project for plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-
plugin': POM 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' not
found in repository: Unable to download the artifact from any
repository

org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-4

from the specified remote repositories:
central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
1557)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.getMojoDescriptor(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
1851)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.segmentTaskListByAggregationNeeds(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
462)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.execute(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
175)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.doExecute(DefaultMaven.java:
328)
at org.apache.maven.DefaultMaven.execute(DefaultMaven.java:
138)
at
org.apache.maven.cli.compat.CompatibleMain.main(CompatibleMain.java:
60)
at
39)
at
25)
at
at
Caused by: org.apache.maven.plugin.InvalidPluginException: Unable to
build project for plugin 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-
plugin': POM 'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' not
found in repository: Unable to download the artifact from any
repository

org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-4

from the specified remote repositories:
central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.checkRequiredMavenVersion(DefaultPluginManager.java:
293)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyVersionedPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:
205)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.verifyPlugin(DefaultPluginManager.java:
184)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.loadPluginDescriptor(DefaultPluginManager.java:
1642)
at
org.apache.maven.lifecycle.DefaultLifecycleExecutor.verifyPlugin(DefaultLifecycleExecutor.java:
1540)
... 15 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.project.ProjectBuildingException: POM
'org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin' not found in
repository: Unable to download the artifact from any repository

org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-4

from the specified remote repositories:
central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

for project org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
605)
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.buildFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
251)
at
org.apache.maven.plugin.DefaultPluginManager.checkRequiredMavenVersion(DefaultPluginManager.java:
277)
... 19 more
Caused by:
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.ArtifactNotFoundException: Unable
to download the artifact from any repository

org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:pom:2.0-alpha-4

from the specified remote repositories:
central (http://repo1.maven.org/maven2)

at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:
228)
at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:
90)
at
org.apache.maven.project.DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.findModelFromRepository(DefaultMavenProjectBuilder.java:
558)
... 21 more
Caused by: org.apache.maven.wagon.ResourceDoesNotExistException:
Unable to download the artifact from any repository
at
org.apache.maven.artifact.manager.DefaultWagonManager.getArtifact(DefaultWagonManager.java:
404)
at
org.apache.maven.artifact.resolver.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:
216)
... 23 more
Total time: < 1 second
Finished at: Wed Jun 16 16:54:04 GMT+05:30 2010
Final Memory: 1M/4M

I don't know what I did wrong.
Thanks in advance.
--
Akshay

David Pollak

Jun 16, 2010, 10:03:10 AM6/16/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Looks to me like Maven is unable to communicate with the main Maven repository.  This could be for a number of reasons:
  • Your machine is not connected to the Internet
  • You are behind a firewall and your proxy settings are not set for Maven/NetBeans (I don't know how to set this)
  • The main Maven repository was offline

Follow me: http://twitter.com/dpp
Blog: http://goodstuff.im
Surf the harmonics

Akshay Dev Wankhede

Jun 22, 2010, 1:52:50 AM6/22/10
to Lift

On Jun 16, 7:03 pm, David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Looks to me like Maven is unable to communicate with the main Maven
> repository.  This could be for a number of reasons:
>
>    - Your machine is not connected to the Internet
>    - You are behind a firewall and your proxy settings are not set for
>    Maven/NetBeans (I don't know how to set this)

No. I have direct internet access from my machine and I don't have any
fancy
firewall policies which can block internet access from any process
executable.

>    - The main Maven repository was offline

For 4 days? I don't believe this.

To further dig into the problem, I tried to resolve repo1.maven.org,
it resolves fine.

Secondly, I tried to hit the URL (as seen in the stack trace)
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/2.0-alpha-4/maven-archetype-plugin-2.0-alpha-4.pom
In mozilla firefox it opens! on the contrary I tried using wget, it
throws 403 Forbidden:

Here is the output of my wget:

akshay@lap7:~$ wget 'http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/
plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/2.0-alpha-4/maven-archetype-plugin-2.0-
alpha-4.pom'
--11:19:54--
http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/2.0-alpha-4/maven-archetype-plugin-2.0-alpha-4.pom
=> `maven-archetype-plugin-2.0-alpha-4.pom'
Resolving repo1.maven.org... 38.97.124.18
Connecting to repo1.maven.org|38.97.124.18|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
11:19:54 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Any suggestions?

David Pollak

Jun 22, 2010, 9:55:50 AM6/22/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com

wrote:
> Looks to me like Maven is unable to communicate with the main Maven
> repository.  This could be for a number of reasons:
>
>    - Your machine is not connected to the Internet
>    - You are behind a firewall and your proxy settings are not set for
>    Maven/NetBeans (I don't know how to set this)

No. I have direct internet access from my machine and I don't have any
fancy
firewall policies which can block internet access from any process
executable.

>    - The main Maven repository was offline

For 4 days? I don't believe this.

I just executed:
mvn -DarchetypeVersion=RELEASE -Darchetype.interactive=false -DgroupId=com.radical -DarchetypeArtifactId=lift-archetype-basic -DarchetypeRepository=http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases -Dversion=1.0-SNAPSHOT -DarchetypeGroupId=net.liftweb -Darchetype.repository=http://scala-tools.org/repo-releases -Dpackage=com.radical.mavenproject1 -DartifactId=mavenproject1 -Dnetbeans.execution=true --batch-mode --errors -e org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-archetype-plugin:2.0-alpha-4:generate

It created a project for me.  There is something wrong with either your configuration or your Internet connection.

To further dig into the problem, I tried to resolve repo1.maven.org,
it resolves fine.

Secondly, I tried to hit the URL (as seen in the stack trace)
In mozilla firefox it opens! on the contrary I tried using wget, it
throws 403 Forbidden:

Here is the output of my wget:

akshay@lap7:~$ wget 'http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/maven/
plugins/maven-archetype-plugin/2.0-alpha-4/maven-archetype-plugin-2.0-
alpha-4.pom'
--11:19:54--
          => `maven-archetype-plugin-2.0-alpha-4.pom'
Resolving repo1.maven.org... 38.97.124.18
Connecting to repo1.maven.org|38.97.124.18|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 403 Forbidden
11:19:54 ERROR 403: Forbidden.

Any suggestions?

This is not the correct forum to debug issues related to the Apache Maven repository.  Please look for a mailing list that does Maven support.

Akshay Dev Wankhede

Jun 22, 2010, 12:33:32 PM6/22/10
to Lift
@David: sorry about that. I've started separate threads on Maven
user-lists.

Is there any way by which I can use Lift without
Maven (I'm so damn frustrated with Mavn's strange
behavior that I don't wanna see it again)?

How can I download lift binaries/jars and get them
up and running using Ant? I gone through a couple of
blog posts, but they fail to tell me from where can I get
the latest Lift jars.

Kindly suggest

--
Akshay

David Bernard

Jun 22, 2010, 12:43:25 PM6/22/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
IMHO, you access internet via proxy that require authentification. The
forbidden is sent by the proxy.
Could you check your mozilla firefox configuration.
and try wget with proxy option :
--proxy-user=USAGER fixer le nom d'USAGER proxy.
--proxy-password=MDP fixer le MDP (mot de passe) du proxy.

if the cause is the proxy then configure maven to use it :
http://maven.apache.org/guides/mini/guide-proxies.html

/davidB

David Pollak

Jun 22, 2010, 12:43:50 PM6/22/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Please install sbt (http://code.google.com/p/simple-build-tool/), untar the enclosed file.  cd into chat and type "sbt update" then "sbt ~jetty-run" and you'll have a running Lift app

chat.tgz

David Bernard

Jun 22, 2010, 1:17:35 PM6/22/10
to lif...@googlegroups.com
If Akshay have proxy configuration issue, it will have same probleme
with ivy (used by sbt or by ant or netbeans,...).

/davidB

Akshay Dev Wankhede

Jun 24, 2010, 12:30:33 AM6/24/10
to Lift
David, thanks for the support. This was not a proxy issue. I upgraded
my JDK/JRE from 1.6.0_03 to 1.6.0_20 and it all started to work fine,
strange though. "Your greatest enemy will hide in the least place you
look for" :)

Now, I'm on my way to explore Lift.

--
Akshay