organizing liftweb.net

ari gold

Nov 10, 2016, 6:33:49 PM11/10/16
to Lift
Hello there good people,

Something finally surfaced after working on documentation on and off for little while now.

I've been thinking about documentation from essentially two perspectives: as someone new to Lift who wants to start a project from scratch and as someone looking for something specific. Personally, I'd always looked for docs from the latter perspective - as someone who was working on a fully developed Lift app and needed to learn about a subject, say css selectors.

As I was going through setting up my own local Lift server (I'd only ever used Lift at work) I used the documentation on liftweb.net which, when I found it, wasn't actually all that bad. I followed either of the two links (Taking Off and Getting Started) which lead me to the cookbook and I was up and running in no time. That said, the experience lead me to think: We need to fix the organization of resources on liftweb.net.

For example, where would the doc on css selectors go? It should clearly be accessible from liftweb.net, yah? Would it go under Community like the Cookbook because it's changeable? Or under Resources 'cause that's where people might look? Should Community itself be under Resources?

I know that working on the site is a question that has come up before and was punted in favor of writing documentation. While going through the Getting Started doc and writing on my own, I kept thinking that the main problem with Lift's documentation is not, surprisingly, the lack of content but rather it's organization on liftweb.net. Organizing liftweb.net is certainly something I'd be happy to put some energy into.

Thanks for reading & hope y'all doing fantastic,

Ari

Diego Medina

Nov 10, 2016, 10:59:37 PM11/10/16
to Lift
Thanks for looking into it, how about adding a new menu: "Documentation" and there we include the api docs, simply lift, the cookbook and anything else that may be documentation like (like a link to the wiki), and I'm fine if we have duplicate links under resources.

Thanks!

P.S. if you send a PR for the site and nobody comments on it, please post here (we don't all get notifications from new PRs, but check the mailing list often)

Diego

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Diego Medina