Looking for JARs

Rams

Jan 31, 2018, 9:01:20 AM1/31/18
to Lift
Hi,
Pardon my ignorance. I am not a Java or JVM Language developer so my skills on maven, gradle etc are very naive.

I am building a Kafka connector in Scala to download JSON data from an API and post them to a topic. Looking for a simple REST client and JSON parser, I discovered lift framework. However when I followed the "Download Jars" link from the GitHub page, I do not see any links to JARs.

I downloaded the zip file expecting to find the jars in a libs folder. But it appears that the zip contains SBT templates.

Am I expected to follow the template and setup a new hello-world project which will download the JARs and then use those in my projects?

I am looking for a way to make an unauthenticated REST calls and parse the resulting JSON into a Scala object.

Any advice highly appreciated.

Best
Rams

Donald McLean

Jan 31, 2018, 12:06:49 PM1/31/18
to liftweb
Hi Rams,

Lift is set up mainly for folks who use dependency management (maven,
SBT, etc) where the JAR files are downloaded automatically as part of
the build.

If you want to download them yourself, you can do that manually from
the Maven repository here:

https://oss.sonatype.org/content/repositories/releases/net/liftweb/

What you see there is directories for the individual libraries, by
Scala version (i.e. lift-common_2.12). Under those directories are
subdirectories for the Lift versions that are compatible with that
version of Scala.
> --
> --
> Lift, the simply functional web framework: http://liftweb.net
> Code: http://github.com/lift
> Discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb
> Stuck? Help us help you:
> https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Posting_example_code
>
> ---
> "Lift" group.
> email to liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com.

Family photographs are a critical legacy for
ourselves and our descendants. Protect that
legacy with a digital backup and recovery plan.

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Jan 31, 2018, 2:17:15 PM1/31/18
to Lift
If you're just going for a REST client, you may want to have a look at Dispatch: https://github.com/dispatch/reboot .
Matt, who is a Lift committer, is the maintainer, and it's a robust library with plenty of users. If you import the
dispatch-liftjson library, you'll be able to use `as.lift.Json` to parse HTTP responses as lift-json JValues.

Lastly, you can use Ammonite Scala Scripts if you're wanting to avoid firing up a whole sbt or Maven project for
a quick script. They support importing libraries like the above with syntax like:

  import $ivy.`net.liftweb::lift-json:3.2.0`

The databinder dispatch docs use the Ammonite REPL, which also supports this syntax.
Thanks,
Antonio