The final lift default design

David Pollak

Nov 18, 2007, 4:30:59 PM11/18/07
to liftweb
Folks,

Barring any objection, I'm going to ask Kyle to put together a default template for this design:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/990/onels2.png

We can work on the color and the logo, but this strikes me as the right design.

Objections?

Thanks,

David

--
lift, the secure, simple, powerful web framework
http://liftweb.net

David Bernard

Nov 18, 2007, 4:44:47 PM11/18/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The navigation bar at top, is too invisible, else seems great.

/david B.

Viktor Klang

Nov 18, 2007, 4:47:15 PM11/18/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 18, 2007 10:30 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
Folks,

Barring any objection, I'm going to ask Kyle to put together a default template for this design:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/990/onels2.png

We can work on the color and the logo, but this strikes me as the right design.

I second this.
Love the reddish tint.

As for the logo: /lift/ is it like hitchhiking or like something that elevates stuff?

I've got some ideas for a logo, but I'm no drawing champions by any means, but I've got some connections in the graphic production department at work, and perhaps I can get them to assist me. :)

Best regards
-Viktor

David Pollak

Nov 18, 2007, 5:09:52 PM11/18/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 18, 2007 1:47 PM, Viktor Klang <viktor...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 18, 2007 10:30 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
Folks,

Barring any objection, I'm going to ask Kyle to put together a default template for this design:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/990/onels2.png

We can work on the color and the logo, but this strikes me as the right design.

I second this.
Love the reddish tint.

As for the logo: /lift/ is it like hitchhiking or like something that elevates stuff?

The origin of the name came from Scala -> Escalator -> lift (British idiom for an elevator)

It's also a pun on lambda lifting

It's also about raising things to a higher level of abstraction

I've got some ideas for a logo, but I'm no drawing champions by any means, but I've got some connections in the graphic production department at work, and perhaps I can get them to assist me. :)

Best regards
-Viktor

Objections?

Thanks,

David

--
lift, the secure, simple, powerful web framework
http://liftweb.net
Collaborative Task Management http://much4.us

Viktor Klang

Nov 18, 2007, 6:39:41 PM11/18/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 18, 2007 11:09 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 18, 2007 1:47 PM, Viktor Klang <viktor...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 18, 2007 10:30 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
Folks,

Barring any objection, I'm going to ask Kyle to put together a default template for this design:
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/990/onels2.png

We can work on the color and the logo, but this strikes me as the right design.

I second this.
Love the reddish tint.

As for the logo: /lift/ is it like hitchhiking or like something that elevates stuff?

The origin of the name came from Scala -> Escalator -> lift (British idiom for an elevator)

It's also a pun on lambda lifting

It's also about raising things to a higher level of abstraction

Got it :)

Ok, I'm attaching a png-image with something to tickle the imagination.
What can we do with this guys?

Best regards
-Viktor

lift.PNG

Harshad RJ

Nov 18, 2007, 10:36:57 PM11/18/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I tried my hand at a logo for Lift. It is early in the morning, and I just made a quick sketch (and I have two left hands). It could be fine tuned further.

I am attaching the original Inkscape drawing as well, if you want to modify it.

-Harshad
lift.png
lift.svg

Daniel Green

Nov 19, 2007, 11:18:34 AM11/19/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
> Ok, I'm attaching a png-image with something to tickle the imagination.
Consider me tickled!

I really like the layout of the site and believe we're headed in the
right direction. I especially like the color choice.
Sharing the colors of the dawning sun, the website's palette signifies
the birth of a new era. Also, red symbolizes a pure spirit and its
luminous /ascension/ over matter.
*peers into his crystal ball* Very fitting ;-)

Viktor Klang

Nov 19, 2007, 11:23:13 AM11/19/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 11/19/07, Daniel Green <octob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Ok, I'm attaching a png-image with something to tickle the imagination.
Consider me tickled!

Sweet ;)

Personally I think it's important to have a simple, symmetric, powerful logo.
There shouldn't be a doubt that the guy wearing the /lift/-tshirt is actually wearing a /lift/-tshirt ;)

Cheers
-Viktor

Daniel Green

Nov 19, 2007, 11:25:43 AM11/19/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
> Personally I think it's important to have a simple, symmetric, powerful
> logo.
> There shouldn't be a doubt that the guy wearing the /lift/-tshirt is
> actually wearing a /lift/-tshirt ;)

/lift/-tshirts!!! New item for lift 1.0, paraphernalia!

Viktor Klang

Nov 19, 2007, 11:36:22 AM11/19/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 11/19/07, Daniel Green <octob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Personally I think it's important to have a simple, symmetric, powerful
> logo.
> There shouldn't be a doubt that the guy wearing the /lift/-tshirt is
> actually wearing a /lift/-tshirt ;)

/lift/-tshirts!!! New item for lift 1.0, paraphernalia!

Wear it with pride!
:)

Cheers
-Viktor

David Pollak

Nov 19, 2007, 11:42:18 AM11/19/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Viktor Klang wrote:

> On 11/19/07, *Daniel Green* <octob...@gmail.com

> <mailto:octob...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> > Personally I think it's important to have a simple, symmetric,
> powerful
> > logo.
> > There shouldn't be a doubt that the guy wearing the /lift/-tshirt is
> > actually wearing a /lift/-tshirt ;)
> >

> /lift/-tshirts!!! New item for lift 1.0, paraphernalia!

Yep... once we have a logo, we can post it to CafePress.com and get
t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.

> Wear it with pride!

And dominate JavaOne with dozens (hundred?) of people wearing /lift/
t-shirts.

> :)
>
> Cheers
> -Viktor
>
> On Nov 19, 2007 11:23 AM, Viktor Klang <viktor...@gmail.com

> <mailto:viktor...@gmail.com> > wrote:

> imagination.
> > > Consider me tickled!
> >

> > Sweet ;)
> >
> > Personally I think it's important to have a simple, symmetric,
> powerful
> > logo.
> > There shouldn't be a doubt that the guy wearing the /lift/-tshirt is
> > actually wearing a /lift/-tshirt ;)
> >
> > Cheers
> > -Viktor
> >

> > > I really like the layout of the site and believe we're headed
> in the
> > > right direction. I especially like the color choice.
> > > Sharing the colors of the dawning sun, the website's palette
> signifies
> > > the birth of a new era. Also, red symbolizes a pure spirit and its
> > > luminous /ascension/ over matter.
> > > *peers into his crystal ball* Very fitting ;-)

> feeder.of...@gmail.com <mailto:feeder.of...@gmail.com>>

> > <feeder.of...@gmail.com

> <mailto:feeder.of...@gmail.com> >

Viktor Klang

Nov 19, 2007, 11:44:42 AM11/19/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 11/19/07, David Pollak <d...@athena.com> wrote:

Viktor Klang wrote:

> On 11/19/07, *Daniel Green* < octob...@gmail.com
> <mailto:octob...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

>      > Personally I think it's important to have a simple, symmetric,
>     powerful
>      > logo.
>      > There shouldn't be a doubt that the guy wearing the /lift/-tshirt is
>      > actually wearing a /lift/-tshirt ;)
>      >
>
>     /lift/-tshirts!!! New item for lift 1.0, paraphernalia!

Yep... once we have a logo, we can post it to CafePress.com and get
t-shirts, coffee mugs, etc.

Sweet :)

> Wear it with pride!

And dominate JavaOne with dozens (hundred?) of people wearing /lift/
t-shirts.

That'd be hilariously cool!
Now I only need to talk my boss into sending me off to JavaOne ;)

Best regards
-Viktor

Oscar Picasso

Nov 19, 2007, 10:32:24 PM11/19/07
to liftweb
1- like said before, the navigation bar is visible enough
2- I find the design a little too aggressive

Oscar Picasso

Nov 19, 2007, 10:44:56 PM11/19/07
to liftweb
Oups

1- like said before, the navigation bar is *not* visible enough

Daniel Green

Nov 20, 2007, 11:20:33 AM11/20/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
> 1- like said before, the navigation bar is visible enough
I figured the transparency was just because it was a demo...

Oscar Picasso

Nov 20, 2007, 12:41:21 PM11/20/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com, fkso...@gmail.com
I have a little suggestion based on what Kyle has done.
lift.png

Derek Chen-Becker

Nov 20, 2007, 5:33:37 PM11/20/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Viktor Klang wrote:

> Ok, I'm attaching a png-image with something to tickle the imagination.
> What can we do with this guys?
I like the logo; simple and concise and visually strong. Definitely an
escalator :)

Derek

Viktor Klang

Nov 20, 2007, 5:47:57 PM11/20/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Cool!
And it would surely going to stirr up questions: "What the heck is that..." :)

Cheers!
-Viktor

Derek

Daniel Green

Nov 22, 2007, 10:04:26 PM11/22/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The left vertical navigation bar is way too wide, other than that it looks good.

Oscar Picasso

Nov 24, 2007, 2:30:07 PM11/24/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Another variation.
lift3.png

Oscar Picasso

Nov 24, 2007, 2:59:03 PM11/24/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Another variation.

I just slightly changed the color of the left side bar.
lift4.png
lift5.png

Tyler Weir

Nov 24, 2007, 3:17:38 PM11/24/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
One more logo idea. It needs a bit of clean up, a graphic artist, I am not.
Lift.png

Oscar Picasso

Nov 24, 2007, 4:02:51 PM11/24/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Added a picture.
lift7.png

Viktor Klang

Nov 24, 2007, 6:18:39 PM11/24/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
This is great guys, I love seeing creative people doing stuff. :)

Oscar: I personally liked lift5.png best. The warmth of the color of the navbar was appealing to me.

Cheerios,

-Viktor

David Pollak

Nov 24, 2007, 8:31:55 PM11/24/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 24, 2007 3:18 PM, Viktor Klang <viktor...@gmail.com> wrote:
This is great guys, I love seeing creative people doing stuff. :)

Oscar: I personally liked lift5.png best. The warmth of the color of the navbar was appealing to me.

lift5 is cool.

I have always thought: lift as in lower case l and italic.  It looks very nice in serif fonts with kerning where the l touches the dot on the i.

Cheerios,

-Viktor

On Nov 24, 2007 10:02 PM, Oscar Picasso <oscarp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Added a picture.

On Nov 24, 2007 3:17 PM, Tyler Weir <tyler...@gmail.com> wrote:
One more logo idea.  It needs a bit of clean up, a graphic artist, I am not.

Daniel Green

Nov 24, 2007, 11:36:00 PM11/24/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
> Added a picture.
Brings the page together nicely.

As for the logo, I'm also a fan of the lower case italicized serif
lift. Perhaps a little more tilted and with a little more flair...
hmm... I wonder if you could incorporate "/" on either side of it... I
must not be the only one who writes /lift/.

Oscar Picasso

Nov 25, 2007, 1:24:44 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Some little variations on the logo.
lift10.png
lift11.png

Daniel Green

Nov 25, 2007, 1:45:28 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
10 is too cramped, but I like 11. hmm... I was playing around in GIMP
and found that I take favor with the flamboyance of a Times New Roman
Italic lift. What about some cross between them? The boldness of sans
and the style of times new...

Oscar Picasso

Nov 25, 2007, 1:52:27 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Two more...

On Nov 25, 2007 1:24 AM, Oscar Picasso <oscarp...@gmail.com> wrote:
lift20.png
lift23.png

Oscar Picasso

Nov 25, 2007, 1:57:12 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Do you think of a particular font between Times Italic and Sans Serif bold, or do you want to mix both in the logo?

Or could you send the results of your investigation in GIMP?

Daniel Green

Nov 25, 2007, 2:06:32 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps... URW Palladio L Bold Italic?

I really like that image in 23, but perhaps move the logo slightly
up, the f dips too far down

This is really cool stuff. Very exciting! Your time is greatly appreciated :-)

Oscar Picasso

Nov 25, 2007, 2:11:25 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
By the way the font used in the last logos are the one provided when I choose Serif / Bold-Italic in Inkscape on my Linux box. I don't know which one it is particularly.

Serif fonts can be very different one from the other, especially when in italic.

If time permits I will try Times and maybe Garamont tomorrow.

I want also do some coding after reading interesting stuff about monads...  ;)

Oscar Picasso

Nov 25, 2007, 2:26:16 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
A last one for today... and then I go to bed.

I'll try with URW Palladio L Bold Italic tomorrow.

I have yet to install it on my box.
lift24.png

David Bernard

Nov 25, 2007, 3:12:17 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Who will adapt the CSS to work with the wiki (mediawiki) or the site generated by maven ?
May it's for an other site, which one ?

/david B.

aniketvu

Nov 25, 2007, 5:05:00 AM11/25/07
to liftweb
+1 to lift24

On Nov 25, 12:26 pm, "Oscar Picasso" <oscarpica...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A last one for today... and then I go to bed.
>
> I'll try with URW Palladio L Bold Italic tomorrow.
>
> I have yet to install it on my box.
>
> On Nov 25, 2007 2:06 AM, Daniel Green <october...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Perhaps... URW Palladio L Bold Italic?
>
> > I really like that image in 23, but perhaps move the logo slightly
> > up, the f dips too far down
>
> > This is really cool stuff. Very exciting! Your time is greatly appreciated
> > :-)
>
> > On Nov 25, 2007 1:57 AM, Oscar Picasso <oscarpica...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Do you think of a particular font between Times Italic and Sans Serif
> > bold,
> > > or do you want to mix both in the logo?
>
> > > Or could you send the results of your investigation in GIMP?

> > it... I

> > artist,
>

> lift24.png
> 344KViewDownload

Viktor Klang

Nov 25, 2007, 7:48:35 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
IANAGA (I Am Not A Graphical Artist)

But here are some more sketches attached.

Best regards,
Viktor
lift2.jpg
lift3.jpg

David Bernard

Nov 25, 2007, 7:59:16 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I prefer the first logo.
have you try to let the text horizontal in lift2.jpg logo?

Viktor Klang wrote:
> IANAGA (I Am Not A Graphical Artist)
>
> But here are some more sketches attached.
>
> Best regards,
> Viktor
>
> On Nov 25, 2007 11:05 AM, aniketvu < anik...@gmail.com

> <mailto:anik...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> +1 to lift24
>
> On Nov 25, 12:26 pm, "Oscar Picasso" < oscarpica...@gmail.com

> <mailto:oscarpica...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> > A last one for today... and then I go to bed.
> >
> > I'll try with URW Palladio L Bold Italic tomorrow.
> >
> > I have yet to install it on my box.
> >
> > On Nov 25, 2007 2:06 AM, Daniel Green <october...@gmail.com

> <mailto:october...@gmail.com>> wrote:
> >

> > > Perhaps... URW Palladio L Bold Italic?
> >
> > > I really like that image in 23, but perhaps move the logo slightly
> > > up, the f dips too far down
> >
> > > This is really cool stuff. Very exciting! Your time is greatly
> appreciated
> > > :-)

> Sans Serif
> > > bold,

> around in GIMP
> New Roman
> boldness of sans

> october...@gmail.com <mailto:october...@gmail.com>>

> italicized serif
> more flair...
> side of
> > > it... I

> oscarpica...@gmail.com <mailto:oscarpica...@gmail.com>>

> tyler.w...@gmail.com <mailto:tyler.w...@gmail.com>>

> graphic
> > > artist,
> >

> > lift24.png
> > 344KViewDownload

Viktor Klang

Nov 25, 2007, 8:19:01 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
You mean like flipping it so that the escalator is somewhat scewed but the text is horizontal?

No, but I can rotate it a bit... :)

And here comes another shot (just for fun)
And now I need to grab something to eat before I starve to death.

Cheers man :)
lift5.PNG

David Pollak

Nov 25, 2007, 10:01:09 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I like Oscar's #11 best.  It's cool to hang the f highlighted... a reminder that lift and Scala are functional.

Victor... what if the escalator was the italicized l and the ift were underneath it?

Viktor Klang

Nov 25, 2007, 11:12:04 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 25, 2007 4:01 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
Personally, I like Oscar's #11 best.  It's cool to hang the f highlighted... a reminder that lift and Scala are functional.

Victor... what if the escalator was the italicized l and the ift were underneath it?

David, you mean something like this? (Check the attachment.)

Cheers,
Viktor

lift6.PNG

Oscar Picasso

Nov 25, 2007, 11:20:55 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Daniel,

I didn't have URW Palladio and didn't find a free version on the web.

Do you know of a free font that is similar to Palladio?

Oscar Picasso

Nov 25, 2007, 11:46:35 AM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Actually I had Palladio :=)

30 => Serif (which font exactly, I don't). The same as in lift11.png but I increased slightly the size

31 => Times New Roman

32 => URW Palladio.

I find Palladio elegant but both 31 and 32 are too thin for a logo.

I prefer 30. I think it has more strength and a "je ne sais quoi" both modern and retro.
lift30.png
lift31.png
lift32.png

Daniel Green

Nov 25, 2007, 12:21:11 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I really like the look of 32. I wonder what it would be like with the
lettering slightly spaced.... Is the picture of the escalator a no or
a go? Personally, I'm for it.

David Pollak

Nov 25, 2007, 12:29:23 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I like 32 as well. Where does the error/warning panel go?

<lift30.png>
<lift31.png>
<lift32.png>

Daniel Green

Nov 25, 2007, 12:33:15 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps it slides into view when there's a notification and slides
away when that notification has been acknowledged or dealt with?

Viktor Klang

Nov 25, 2007, 12:55:19 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Here's another suggestion, exaggerating the F to look more like an escalator.

Cheers,
Viktor
lift7.PNG

Daniel Green

Nov 25, 2007, 1:19:38 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Like it!

Daniel Green

Nov 25, 2007, 1:20:14 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Perhaps it's just because of the size I'm viewing it at, but the
spacing agrees with me

Oscar Picasso

Nov 25, 2007, 1:21:39 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Daniel, I like your suggestion of spacing the letters.

As for the error/warning, I didn't have much thoughts about it.

I would suggest in the sidebar like in the current lift site.

Anyway I think the sidebar needs to be more precisely designed when we know what goes there.

Viktor, and everybody for that matter, I join a version without the logo so you can try to put your own logo.
lift33.png
lift-no-logo.png

Daniel Green

Nov 25, 2007, 2:42:09 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
33 is a good number :-). 33 * 3 - 3 = 93 = Αγαπη = Love

Daniel Green

Nov 25, 2007, 2:42:41 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
whoops, I meant 33 * 3 - 3 - 3

Viktor Klang

Nov 25, 2007, 4:22:31 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The 33 looks nice :)

Oscar: I think I used Palatino Linotype.

The f is hypnotizingly calming when I look at it.
Good for the soul. :)

David Pollak

Nov 25, 2007, 4:25:30 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Nov 25, 2007 8:12 AM, Viktor Klang <viktor...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Nov 25, 2007 4:01 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
Personally, I like Oscar's #11 best.  It's cool to hang the f highlighted... a reminder that lift and Scala are functional.

Victor... what if the escalator was the italicized l and the ift were underneath it?

David, you mean something like this? (Check the attachment.)

Kinda... only I wasn't thinking the ift would be rotated.  I was thinking that the dot in the i would be at the top of the escalator.

Viktor Klang

Nov 25, 2007, 5:11:06 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi guys, here are some more suggestions. Excuse me for the large images, hard to get good quality @ low bitrate :p

Cheers,
Viktor
suggest1.PNG
suggest2.PNG
suggest3.PNG

Julien Wetterwald

Nov 25, 2007, 6:32:53 PM11/25/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi Viktor,

This is my favorite so far. Good job.

Cheers,
Julien

Viktor Klang

Nov 27, 2007, 7:44:23 AM11/27/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Guys, I feel we should probably try to nail this issue soon.

I'm gladly accepting suggestions, brainstorms and ideas on the logo. (I'm no artist, but I'll try my best to conceptualize the ideas)

Best regards,
-Viktor

Viktor Klang

Dec 3, 2007, 1:40:02 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I hate to double-post, but guys, I really think we should have a plan atleast for the logo.

Do we have any other suggestions for logos?

I have a hunch it'd be easier to gain acceptance if we'd have a graphical profile...

Cheers,

-Viktor, who cannot code until he has reinstalled Eclipse and all plugins and crap because the old install went corrupt.

David Pollak

Dec 3, 2007, 1:46:16 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I have pinged Kyle and asked him to HTML-ize the design sans logo.

Viktor -- please start a wiki page with logos on it and announce the page to the list.  Folks can upload logos and talk about them on the wiki and maybe by end of week, we can have a design.

Viktor Klang

Dec 3, 2007, 1:47:57 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 3, 2007 7:46 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have pinged Kyle and asked him to HTML-ize the design sans logo.

Viktor -- please start a wiki page with logos on it and announce the page to the list.  Folks can upload logos and talk about them on the wiki and maybe by end of week, we can have a design.

How retarded of me not to think about that.
I'll get right on it.

Cheers Dave!

-Viktor

Viktor Klang

Dec 3, 2007, 2:55:02 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Okay guys, I've thrown up a wiki-page for the logo-search for /lift/.

It's located at: http://www.liftweb.net/index.php/Logo

Please fill it in :)

Cheers,
-Viktor

David Bernard

Dec 3, 2007, 3:53:50 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Nice, I added 2 columns number (of the proposal) and votes of (in wich user could add vote (name) for thier favorites.

/davidB

PS: strange, I don't have permission to edit on www.liftweb.net but on liftweb.net ???

Oscar Picasso

Dec 3, 2007, 5:57:31 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I have added one logo.

Viktor Klang

Dec 3, 2007, 6:05:09 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I added one more aswell (having trouble getting sleep lately :( )

David Pollak

Dec 3, 2007, 6:09:00 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com

Different cookies.  Just log into www.liftweb.net and you'll be able to edit.

Derek Chen-Becker

Dec 3, 2007, 10:27:52 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Viktor Klang wrote:
> I added one more aswell (having trouble getting sleep lately :( )
How much are we really gaining from the extremely heavy JPG compression
on those? From the looks of it, all logos (save your "escalator" logo)
are solid color and would probably look better and show the same
compression as PNGs. Just a thought :).

Derek

David Pollak

Dec 3, 2007, 10:40:23 PM12/3/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com

For some reason, media wiki doesn't allow uploads of PNG so everything has to be JPG.

Sigh.

Derek

Viktor Klang

Dec 4, 2007, 3:30:18 AM12/4/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, the logos look much better in PNG, but the wii wouldn't allow me to upload PNGs, so I had to convert them to JPEG. Sad but true.

-Viktor

Derek Chen-Becker

Dec 4, 2007, 11:13:54 AM12/4/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Viktor Klang wrote:

> Yeah, the logos look much better in PNG, but the wii wouldn't allow me
> to upload PNGs, so I had to convert them to JPEG. Sad but true.
Arggggh. That's really dumb, especially considering that the help text
for the upload page has examples for PNGs... Anyways, I was inspired by
your "escalator" logo and put a new one up there:

http://www.liftweb.net/images/9/9a/Liftlogo-dcb-2.gif

I have it in a DXF file but I couldn't figure out how to export to SVG
(hence the lack of antialiasing). If anyone out there has a tool that
can convert DXF to SVG I'd really appreciate a conversion. Let me know
and I can send the original.

Derek

Viktor Klang

Dec 4, 2007, 11:25:45 AM12/4/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com

On 12/4/07, Derek Chen-Becker <dchen...@gmail.com> wrote:

Viktor Klang wrote:

> Yeah, the logos look much better in PNG, but the wii wouldn't allow me
> to upload PNGs, so I had to convert them to JPEG. Sad but true.
Arggggh. That's really dumb, especially considering that the help text
for the upload page has examples for PNGs...

Yeah :(

Anyways, I was inspired by
your "escalator" logo and put a new one up there:

http://www.liftweb.net/images/9/9a/Liftlogo-dcb-2.gif

Love to see you contribute to this fine cause! :)

Cheers
-Viktor

Oscar Picasso

Dec 4, 2007, 5:53:53 PM12/4/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
In the LocalSettings.php file of your mediawiki installation you can add support for uploading whatever file you want.

Look at, or add a line like:
$wgFileExtensions = array ('png','jpg','jpeg','ogg','doc' ,'xls','ppt','mp3','sxc','pdf', 'nse');

David Pollak

Dec 4, 2007, 7:29:25 PM12/4/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Changed. PLease try it now.

Oscar Picasso wrote:
> In the LocalSettings.php file of your mediawiki installation you can add
> support for uploading whatever file you want.
>
> Look at, or add a line like:
> $wgFileExtensions = array ('png','jpg','jpeg','ogg','doc'
> ,'xls','ppt','mp3','sxc','pdf', 'nse');
>
> On Dec 3, 2007 10:40 PM, David Pollak <feeder.of...@gmail.com

> <mailto:feeder.of...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>

> On Dec 3, 2007 7:27 PM, Derek Chen-Becker <dchen...@gmail.com

Derek Chen-Becker

Dec 4, 2007, 8:32:54 PM12/4/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
David Pollak wrote:
> Changed. PLease try it now.

I still get:

The file is corrupt or has an incorrect extension. Please check the file
and upload again.

:(

Derek

Oscar Picasso

Dec 4, 2007, 9:24:20 PM12/4/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I guess there is something wrong in the mediawiki configs. It should be able to upload png files which is the preferred format in wikipedia.

Maybe it has to do with mime type detection. See:
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Configuring_file_uploads#Configuring_file_types
and
http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Mime_type_detection

David Pollak

Dec 5, 2007, 12:15:10 PM12/5/07
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Fixed thanks to all the excellent help from you guys!

I had to add the FileInfo PHP module
--
lift, the secure, simple, powerful web framework http://liftweb.net

josh.app...@gmail.com

josh.app...@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2017, 1:41:49 PM6/2/17
to Lift
And here is one version with a shield (design speak for the background thingy). A thanks to David and all you Lifters for your work. And a shoutout to Antonio, Mike and Matt.
lift-logo-wshield.png

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Jun 5, 2017, 11:20:04 AM6/5/17
to Lift
Nice, thanks for the updates Josh! For others on the list, this is some refinement
work Josh has been for his edification on the logo currently being looked at in the
Lift Site Playground, which is a playground for future iterations of the Lift site based
on designs that Josh has put together for us.
Thanks,
Antonio