*** BREAKING CHANGE FOR MODULES **

Richard Dallaway

Aug 6, 2012, 7:04:56 AM8/6/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Read on if you use any of the Lift modules: amqp, paypal, oauth, oauth-mapper, xmpp, widgets, textile, scalate, openid, oath, machine, jta, imaging, facebook.

What's happening?

As part of Lift 2.5 these modules are being opened up for contributions from anyone in the Lift community, not just Lift committers.  That means, we can all make changes to improve these modules.

What's the impact?

There are two changes:

1) The way you include a module in your build file has changed: the organisation name has changed, and the modules have their own version number.  For example this:

"net.liftweb" % "lift-paypal" % liftVersion % "compile"

becomes:

"net.liftmodules" % "paypal" % (liftVersion + "-1.1-SNAPSHOT") % "compile"

You'll then be using the 1.1-SNAPSHOT version of the PayPal module.

Although modules are compiled against Lift, we anticipate modules having their own release cycle, meaning they need their own version number.

2) The Scala package has changed from net.liftweb.modules to net.liftmodules.  For example, this:

net.liftweb.paypal.PaypalRules.init

becomes:

net.liftmodules.paypal.PaypalRules.init

This will make clear the difference between the code anyone can contribute to (net.liftmodules) and the core Lift framework (net.liftweb).

What do I need to do?

Update your build.sbt or POM, recompile and fix import errors.

When can I use this?

These changes are available now for Lift 2.5-SNAPSHOT.

The source code for each module is on GitHub: https://github.com/liftmodules

There's more information on the wiki: http://www.assembla.com/spaces/liftweb/wiki/Modules

Thanks
- Team Lift

Ben Phelan

Aug 7, 2012, 8:35:54 AM8/7/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
That's fantastic, thanks Richard. :)

David Pollak

Aug 7, 2012, 12:28:18 PM8/7/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Dude, you're a deity!

Code: http://github.com/lift

Telegram, Simply Beautiful CMS https://telegr.am

Diego Medina

Aug 7, 2012, 2:10:47 PM8/7/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
This is great!
Thanks for all the hard work.

Diego

--
Diego Medina
Lift/Scala Developer

Maarten Koopmans

Aug 7, 2012, 4:48:39 PM8/7/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Slowly catching up, this is awesome. Hats off!

Alexandre Richonnier

Oct 7, 2012, 11:15:31 AM10/7/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi community!

To test scalate lift module with lift 2.5, I had to fix a bug that requested update to version 1.5.3 scalate.
This fix is in my pull request https://github.com/liftmodules/scalate/pull/2.

Then, I began to work with structure versioning liftmodules, and I need more clarification.

for example in https://github.com/liftmodules/scalate, I see 2 branches, a master and a 2.5-M1-1.1.
My question is why not, a branch master, a branch 2.5-M1 and a tag 2.5-M1-1.1 , a tag 2.5-M1-1.2, etc, like in my fork https://github.com/heralight/scalate ?

Thanks,

Alexandre Richonnier

Alexandre Richonnier

Oct 7, 2012, 11:54:55 AM10/7/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
And another question, what is the best practice to publish an example about a lift module like my https://github.com/heralight/lift_scalate_example ?

Alexandre

Diego Medina

Oct 7, 2012, 11:23:44 PM10/7/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi, we should have a tag in there, I'll ping the committer that
released the 2.5-M1 modules to see what we can do about it.
This was our first release of the modules, so we are still getting the
hang of it (before the modules were built from a different place)

Thanks

Diego

Richard Dallaway

Oct 8, 2012, 5:05:43 AM10/8/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Diego and thank you Alexandre for spotting that.

Richard Dallaway

Oct 8, 2012, 5:11:22 AM10/8/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I'd suggest including a link to it in the module's README.

Richard Dallaway

Oct 8, 2012, 7:24:49 AM10/8/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 7 October 2012 16:15, Alexandre Richonnier <hera...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi community!

To test scalate lift module with lift 2.5, I had to fix a bug that requested update to version 1.5.3 scalate.
This fix is in my pull request https://github.com/liftmodules/scalate/pull/2.

Hi Alexandre!

Thank you for the contribution. It builds fine for me, so unless I see any -ve comments on it, I'll probably push it out to Sonatype as 1.2-SNAPSHOT today or tomorrow.

Cheers
Richard

Alexandre Richonnier

Oct 8, 2012, 7:33:46 AM10/8/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Ok,thanks.

Richard Dallaway

Oct 9, 2012, 4:26:02 PM10/9/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Ok, that's been built and published as a snapshot, which should be:  "net.liftmodules" %% "scalate" % ("1.5-SNAPSHOT" + "-1.2-SNAPSHOT")

Can you try that out, and let me know if there are any problems.  Assuming it's all OK, it'll be part of the next non-snapshoy release.

Thanks again
Richard

Alexandre Richonnier

Oct 9, 2012, 6:34:48 PM10/9/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
working with 2.5-SNAPSHOT.

and about 2.5-M1, what was decided?

Thanks

Alexandre

Richard Dallaway

Oct 11, 2012, 4:40:39 AM10/11/12
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean the tagging?  Yes, we're going to do that. It was an oversight on my part.