Should my team move to a more recent version of Lift?

Emmanuel Eytan

Jun 3, 2016, 2:45:57 PM6/3/16
to Lift
I'm running a web site that is used in production by actual people. We're based on Lift 2.6-M2. Something that has become an annoying problem is the fact that this is based on Scala 2.10 and SBT 0.12. I think we should update to a more recent Lift. Maybe the latest 2.6 with Scala 2.11. One annoying thing with these old versions of Scala and SBT is that they don't work well with Java 8, which we need for other things. Does upgrading sound like a good idea or a Dangerously Wrong Think To Do? If it turns out it's a good idea, should I just update SBT and correct issues as they come or is there a more specific procedure to follow?

Thanks.

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Jun 3, 2016, 2:52:17 PM6/3/16
to lif...@googlegroups.com
På fredag 03. juni 2016 kl. 20:45:56, skrev Emmanuel Eytan <eje...@gmail.com>:
I'm running a web site that is used in production by actual people. We're based on Lift 2.6-M2. Something that has become an annoying problem is the fact that this is based on Scala 2.10 and SBT 0.12. I think we should update to a more recent Lift. Maybe the latest 2.6 with Scala 2.11. One annoying thing with these old versions of Scala and SBT is that they don't work well with Java 8, which we need for other things. Does upgrading sound like a good idea or a Dangerously Wrong Think To Do? If it turns out it's a good idea, should I just update SBT and correct issues as they come or is there a more specific procedure to follow?

I recommend to upgrade, in a separate branch, and post issues you find here. We ported a rather large app to 3.0 last year and all our issues were resolved.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Jun 3, 2016, 3:18:19 PM6/3/16
to Lift
Highly recommend switching to the most recent Lift 3 RC. Final
release will probably happen before you're done posting, knock
on wood.
Thanks,
Antonio

Emmanuel Eytan

Jun 3, 2016, 5:14:03 PM6/3/16
to Lift
And the process is just to update the versions of Scala and Lift in build.sbt, and obviously SBT itself. and just try to fix the problems that then occur, correct?

Peter Petersson

Jun 3, 2016, 6:08:02 PM6/3/16
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Making a pit stop at Lift 2.6.3, Scala 2.11 with SBT 0.13 and Java 7 seems reasonable to me.
Then moving on to Lift 3 / Java 8 on yet another branch when the eventual upgrade issues is found and sorted.
That is what I would do if I was in your situation.

best regards Peter Petersson

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Jun 4, 2016, 2:36:16 PM6/4/16
to Lift
Fair point actually. 2.6.3 will for the most part have deprecation warnings for things that will be a stumbling block in Lift 3, and the move from 2.6-M2 will likely be painless.
Thanks,
Antonio