Modules: changes to how you include them (*** BREAKING CHANGE ***)

Richard Dallaway

Apr 13, 2013, 6:24:44 AM4/13/13
to liftweb
If you depend on a Lift module (e.g., textile, paypal, widgets), please note the following change to the structure of module names.  Your feedback is welcome on this.

What's the change?

The full Lift version number is being removed from the module version number. Instead, the module name will reference the major parts of the Lift version.

It's easier to explain with an example. We're changing from...

  "net.liftmodules" %% "textile" % ("2.5-RC2" + "-" + "1.3")

...to...

 "net.liftmodules" %% "textile_2.5" % "1.3"

Why is this happening?

The current (longer) version numbers are not always valid for Maven. This has caused issues for Maven proxy users in particular.

This change also means a module can be published once for an "edition" of Lift (like 2.5) and will be valid for all 2.5 versions of Lift, included SNAPSHOTS, RCs, milestones and final releases.

When is this happening?

The modules have been published using the new naming, so you can start now for any 2.5 application.

If you're working with Lift 3.0 the dependency is:

 "net.liftmodules" %% "textile_3.0" % "1.3-SNAPSHOT"

More information

I've updated the wiki and cookbook to reflect these changes, and also created a list of modules:

Follow the links to the module README for the latest version number information.

I've almost certainly missed a few modules: please update with any you use.

Thanks
Richard

Peter Petersson

Apr 13, 2013, 4:02:21 PM4/13/13
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Richard for the announcement and for the module list. I will see to it that liftweb.net also gets updated with this list (as a entry in the resources menu).

I can add that the Lift JQuery module, the FoBo module and it's sub modules (FoBo-Bootstrap, FoBo-AngularJS and components, FoBo-Font-Awesome, FoBo-Foundation, FoBo-DataTables, FoBo-KnockoutJS, .... and more ) also uses this version scheme.

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/liftweb/wiki/Modules

Follow the links to the module README for more information and the latest version number information.

best regards
  Peter Petersson
Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Naftoli Gugenheim

Apr 14, 2013, 12:50:20 AM4/14/13
to liftweb
To be clear, if you're using maven, the artifact would be net.liftmodules:textile_3.0_2.10:1.3-SNAPSHOT.