Actor threw excecption

Diego Medina

Jan 5, 2017, 1:04:20 AM1/5/17
to Lift
Hi,

Has anyone run into this error while running Lift 3.0 and jetty 9.3.8 ? :

Jan 04 11:46:03 acm-web-02 web:  ERROR net.liftweb.actor.ActorLogger - [ ]: Actor threw an exception
Jan 04 11:46:03 acm-web-02 web:  java.lang.NullPointerException: null

full error:

It's one of those terrible errors, doesn't happen all the time, doesn't point to any of our own code and we haven't been able to reproduce it.

While writing this email I noticed there is a newer version of jetty, so I'll see about upgrading to it, but figured it wouldn't hurt to post this here.

Thanks

--
Diego Medina
Lift/Scala Consultant

Matt Farmer

Jan 5, 2017, 8:56:30 AM1/5/17
to Lift
This actually does point to some of our own code.

net.liftweb.http.provider.servlet.containers.Servlet30AsyncProvider.resume

If I had to guess something changed in Jetty with resuming async requests? Who is most familiar with this code?

Matt Farmer | Blog | Twitter
GPG: CD57 2E26 F60C 0A61 E6D8  FC72 4493 8917 D667 4D07

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Diego Medina

Jan 5, 2017, 10:07:57 AM1/5/17
to Lift
now that you mentioned, I see that

has a try/catch, and there we assume that resume could fail, so we could start the try a bit earlier to account for the case of the Null on line 115

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Diego Medina

Jan 11, 2017, 11:24:36 AM1/11/17
to Lift
just an update, upgrading to lift 3.0.1 and latest jetty did not solve the issue.