JavaMail API version

Ján Raska

Jun 14, 2011, 9:37:16 AM6/14/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Hi folks,

I'm wondering, why lift-util depends on JavaMail 1.4.1, rather then newer versions (possibly the newest one 1.4.4)? Version 1.4.1 was released in 2007 and since then, there've been various bugfixes and improvements (eg. SASL support for SMTP). One really cool feature for those that need to deal with self-signed certificates for SMTP servers that require SSL or TLS is a MailSSLSocketFactory, that allows to enter list of trusted hosts.

Right now I helped myself by telling maven to exclude mail package from lift-util and use explicitly defined mail package, but I think it'd be nice to have it out of box for everybody. It's not in a general repository though, one must use http://download.java.net/maven/2/

Jan

David Pollak

Jun 14, 2011, 10:12:11 AM6/14/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I'm cool with updating the version to the latest as long as the latest is under a compatible license (Apache, MIT, etc.) and is available in Maven central or some other well known repo.  If those criteria are met, please open a ticket.

Ján Raska

Jun 14, 2011, 11:08:17 AM6/14/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Well I don't know if  http://download.java.net/maven/2/ is well known repo, but 1.4.4 is not in Maven central as far as I know.

Source code and JARs published at above mentioned maven repository are dual licensed under CDDL and GPLv2 licenses. As version 1.4.1 in Maven central, that is currently included in Lift is licensed under CDDL, I assume CDDL is a compatible license and thus it shouldn't be a problem. However, I'm not a lawyer, so I might be wrong.

David Pollak

Jun 14, 2011, 11:40:35 AM6/14/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
1.4.4 is licensed the same way as 1.4.1 so that's cool.

I'm okay with using the java.net repo, but Indrajit may have an objection... please open the ticket as assign it to Indrajit and if he objects, he'll close it.  The reason for the sensitivity over repos is that we've in the past used stuff that was in repos that were closed down.  When the repos close, it's a real huge interference with the Lift dev and build process that results in a fire drill.

Ján Raska

Jun 14, 2011, 2:12:20 PM6/14/11
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I've opened the ticket: https://www.assembla.com/spaces/liftweb/tickets/1043-upgrade-javamail-api-to-1-4-4-version

I understand possible problems with repos close, so I leave it up to you guys. There's quite an easy workaround, that I already use.