Lift 3.1.0-M2 Released

Matt Farmer

Apr 13, 2017, 12:38:19 PM4/13/17
to Lift

The Lift Committers are pleased to announce the release of Lift 3.1.0-M2 on April 7, 2017. This release continues our new release cadence of bimonthly milestone builds. These will lead up to the final 3.1.0 milestone at the start of June. 3.1.0-RC1 is currently targeted for June 15, and the final 3.1.0 release targeted for the end of June. After that we'll start the release cycle over for 3.2.0 for the latter part of the year.

This milestone build brings a small set of improvements:

  • The MongoDB Record module now supports the MongoDB Async API calls. (#1829) Now, there are a handful of *Async methods on the MongoDB record implementation that will return Futures to the calling code, meaning you can now easily compose Mongo Record operations with other non-blocking code. Hat tip to @eltimn and @marekzebrowski for their work on this.
  • @n4to4 was kind enough to fix some broken links in our readme.

This release is immediately available on Maven Central.

This was a pretty small milestone, but we were focusing on producing a stable milestone at a predictable schedule, and we successfully accomplished that goal. We've got a lot of good work queued up for M3, so be on the lookout for that.

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Apr 13, 2017, 1:56:44 PM4/13/17
to Lift
🎉 awesome stuff! Thanks for helping us stay close to the schedule, Matt and Diego!

And thanks for the mongo improvements Tim & Marek, they look delicious :)
Antonio

ti com

Apr 14, 2017, 12:07:16 AM4/14/17
to Lift
are you using semantic versioning?

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Christ Taylor

Apr 14, 2017, 4:15:13 AM4/14/17
to Lift
I am about to start a new project where I would like to use LiftWeb. Which version should I use?
Thanks

Torsten Uhlmann

Apr 14, 2017, 6:13:11 AM4/14/17
to Lift
I would go with the latest version. Lift versions are typically very stable.
And given that you may develop your project for some time, any bugs that might be present now will most probably be eliminated when you reach production state.

Torsten.

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

AGYNAMIX(R). Passionate Software.
Inh. Torsten Uhlmann | Buchenweg 5 | 09380 Thalheim
Phone:     +49 3721 273445
Fax:         +49 3721 273446
Mobile:    +49 151 12412427
Web:       http://www.agynamix.de

Joe Barnes

Apr 14, 2017, 12:09:35 PM4/14/17
to Lift
Christ,

I'd like to add it depends on how much risk your project can afford. If it is mission critical, stick with Lift 3.0.1 so you don't get any surprises. Otherwise, you can go with 3.1.0-M2. Things are likely to break between milestone releases, but we're here to help if you can afford to ask questions when you're not sure how to proceed. Once we hit the RC phase, things are much less likely to break. Once a release is out (like 3.0.x) we have every intention to have NOTHING break regardless of what value of "x" you choose.

And kudos Matt!

Joe

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Apr 14, 2017, 3:53:50 PM4/14/17
to Lift
To be clear, things are more likely to break in milestone builds, but traditionally,
except between major versions (e.g., 2.x -> 3.0), milestone releases have been
quite stable. Things are also generally stable across minor versions.

To answer the question about semantic versioning---I would say we strive to
follow compatibility that looks more or less like what semver specifies.
Thanks,
Antonio

Joe Barnes

Apr 14, 2017, 4:06:40 PM4/14/17
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Yes, agreed with Antonio. I said "likely to break" because I'm super conservative. Antonio is saying "more likely to break" because realistically it's quite manageable. Also, I'm a bit more exposed to what can happen to Lift modules compiled against a milestone and the runtime problems that can cause. As an app developer, as long as you do a clean/compile any time you take a new milestone, it's highly unlikely you'll have issues.

Joe

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Lift" group.