Telegram

David Pollak

Oct 9, 2017, 1:08:35 PM10/9/17
to liftweb
Folks,

5+ years ago, I launched https://telegr.am ... a static site hosting service that took Markdown from GitHub and Dropbox and turned it into a static site. The renderer (the thing that converted Markdown, etc.) into HTML was based on https://github.com/hoisted and did sweet things in a Lift-like way.

Sadly, very few folks got excited about Hoisted or Telegram. Yeah, it powers my personal web site as well as the https://liftweb.net site.

Over the last 5 years, not much has happened with Telegram other than to add automatic SSL support via Let's Encrypt.

In the last couple of months, I've updated Telegram to do a whole ton of things.

First, renderers are pluggable so that you can use Hugo, GatsbyJS, Jekyll, etc. as well as Hoisted.

Second, rendering is done in a pipeline with multiple phases, so you can render a static site and then deploy a Serverless app.

There's even support for proxying (technically, reverse proxying) requests to Telegram-hosted sites to external services... so your static site can proxy all the /api/* calls to a backend, without CORS concerns.

The technical information can be found at https://howto.telegr.am/

I'm hoping to stoke some interest in Telegram to turn it into more than just a side project.

Thanks,

David

PS -- The main Telegram site is, and always has been, powered by Lift.

Damian Helme

Oct 17, 2017, 6:34:31 AM10/17/17
to Lift
Timely to see your post - I'm reviewing my static site at the moment, so I'll take a look at the latest Telegram stuff.
Thanks for the update.
Damian.

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Oct 17, 2017, 1:57:15 PM10/17/17
to Lift
This is super stellar. Been very busy so haven't had a chance to look, but I'll be doing so
reaaaal soon :)
Antonio

j...@joescii.com

Oct 18, 2017, 4:47:45 PM10/18/17
to Lift
Right on, I really dig the idea behind the direction you're taking Telegram. The ability to create a dynamic web app which is hosted statically and serviced by Serverless functions is killer.

Joe