Logging

David Pollak

Sep 18, 2017, 10:42:32 PM9/18/17
to liftweb
Folks,

Like magic, logging in my app just stopped working.

Is there a way to debug logging... figure out why it's not working?

Thanks,

David

Matt Farmer

Sep 18, 2017, 11:12:49 PM9/18/17
to liftweb
My experience with debugging loggers has been pretty lousy. I actually lost an hour due to log4j flipping out. We had to play whack a mole with configs until we found the offending one.

My recommendation would be hook up YourKit to sbt and try using the tools in it to debug what’s going on. Or play whack a mole in your logging config. :/

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Diego Medina

Sep 18, 2017, 11:25:30 PM9/18/17
to Lift
whack a mole in my case too. Last time it was the logback xml file not being picked up by Lift after I added a new dependency to our project, iirc, it somehow messed with the classpath so instead of putting the xml file in the resources/props folder I had to move it up one level and/or also lost the option to use <linux username>.logback.xml , the dependency in my case was https://shiro.apache.org/

Hope it helps

Diego

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

David Pollak

Sep 18, 2017, 11:40:46 PM9/18/17
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

I found the issue. I was using an appender that had a classname that was no longer part of the project. The sfl4j silently swallowed the error and just didn't log.

Aaaarrggggg.

Thanks,

David
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com.

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Sep 19, 2017, 2:36:25 PM9/19/17
to Lift
The irony of the logger issue being that the logger didn't log the logger's issue……………………