Kafka-backed Lift Actors

Matt Farmer

Oct 28, 2017, 2:03:32 PM10/28/17
to Lift
Hey all,

I had a Saturday morning hackathon for a few hours this morning and whipped up something I think you'll all find pretty interesting: LiftActors backed by Apache Kafka.

For those of you who are unfamiliar, Apache Kafka is a durable, robust, low-mainteance system that's very well suited for message brokering. We use it a good deal at MailChimp. Given that, in the past, I've used LiftActors backed by RabbitMQ - I was eager to take a shot at providing an implementation that uses Kafka to facilitate actor communication. Compared to Rabbit, Kafka is a lot easier to work with in my humble opinion. ;)

I've started developing a Lift Module to allow folks to incorporate this functionality. I've gotten it up on GitHub with some basic documentation. I'd love some feedback before I push it up to Central. You can find it here: https://github.com/liftmodules/kafka-actors

The README walks through the API, features, and limitations.

Let me know what y'all think!

Cheers,
Matt

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Oct 29, 2017, 12:26:05 PM10/29/17
to Lift
This looks spectacular. Nice work!
Antonio

Henrik Härkönen

Oct 29, 2017, 1:42:17 PM10/29/17
to Lift
Very nice! Kafka is interesting beast. I'm still planning to try out the Kafka as a data storage / event log, but life keeps interfering with the nerdy stuff too much. :D

So it seems your work brings my dreams much closer to reality. :)

-Henrik

Matt Farmer

Oct 29, 2017, 4:44:17 PM10/29/17
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Pushed it up to sonatype tonight for folks to play with. Latest instructions on the README. I'll make a tweet announcing it tonight or tomorrow morning. :)

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Bhashit Parikh

Oct 29, 2017, 11:29:30 PM10/29/17
to Lift
Awesome. Great work Matt. Going to try this out in my app this weekend.

Riccardo Sirigu

Oct 31, 2017, 12:59:13 PM10/31/17
to Lift
Thank you Matt, great work!

Joe Barnes

Oct 31, 2017, 2:17:42 PM10/31/17
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Very cool idea. Kafka seems to be the leader in that space, so it's fantastic to see Lift can now take advantage.

Joe

/**
 * Joe Barnes
 * Owner/Principle Consultant, joescii, llc
 */

Code: http://github.com/lift

---