Sample Lift project with Jetty clustering and Heroku or AWS deployment

Joe Barnes

Sep 13, 2015, 11:58:38 AM9/13/15
to Lift
It took me a bit longer than I had hoped, but I now have a sample Lift project with Jetty clustering:

It uses a ContainerVar in order to exercise the benefit of a clustered container.  You can deploy it to Heroku or AWS.  As a PaaS Heroku is really straight-forward, but with AWS being IaaS there is a bit more work required.  Nearly everything for AWS is automated via terraform and packer, but due to a bug in terraform there is a bit of workaround required to deploy.

You can play with the application on heroku at http://lift-jetty-cluster.herokuapp.com/.

I had two goals in mind when I worked through this.  One goal was to create a test bed for me to work on enhancing Lift to support instance failover where a Lift server can be replaced with another instance running the same code without requiring a re-render of the page.  The second goal is to give the community some working examples of taking a Lift application from development to production.  I feel this project does a pretty good job of both, although I will eventually add something with comet to support the first goal.

Y'all check it out and give me any feedback either here or as PRs.

Thanks,
Joe