Quick Github milestone update

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Apr 22, 2017, 3:03:20 PM4/22/17
to Lift
Hey folks,
As we've mentioned in the release notes for 3.1.0-M1 and M2, we've
along with this new release cadence, I've added milestones to Github
for releases through the end of the year (3.2.0-RC1 in December).
Amongst other things, I've explicitly not created milestones for final
releases; instead, the first RC of each minor release is in the milestone
list. The final release will hopefully follow shortly after that first RC, but
there's always a little bit of uncertainty there, and I wanted to make sure
the dates on there reflected the fixed points of our intended release
schedule.

Open to feedback on any of that; in the meantime, I'll probably be moving
some of the stuff I was planning on working on into some of those buckets
based on my expected availability.
Thanks,
Antonio

Matt Farmer

Apr 24, 2017, 9:34:46 AM4/24/17
to Lift
The due dates used for these releases seem off. My current calendar has the following schedule:

Lift 3.1.0-M3 — June 1
Lift 3.1.0-RC1 — June 15
Lift 3.2.0-M1 — August 1
Lift 3.2.0-M2 — October 1
Lift 3.2.0-M3 — December 1
Lift 3.2.0-RC1 — December 15

These are all calculated moving forward from a start date of February 1 this year. Even though we didn't actually hit that date for 3.1.0-M1, I think it's still the right shape of a release schedule.

To the point about RC uncertainty: I think we should consider the milestone releases and RC1 to be "train scheduled" releases. So, even if Lift 3.1.0 takes four RCs going into the middle of August, Lift 3.2.0-M1 should still go out on time around the start of August. This is a bit different than how we've done RC's in the past where we declared a merge freeze on master until things were in a final state, but it should give us the freedom to make the right choices about when to declare something "final" while maintaining forward momentum - especially in December where 3.2.0-RC1 comes out right before a long break for most folks.

Cheers,
Matt

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Apr 24, 2017, 10:47:21 AM4/24/17
to Lift
On Apr 24, 2017, at 09:33, Matt Farmer <ma...@frmr.me> wrote:

The due dates used for these releases seem off. My current calendar has the following schedule:

Lift 3.1.0-M3 — June 1
Lift 3.1.0-RC1 — June 15
Lift 3.2.0-M1 — August 1
Lift 3.2.0-M2 — October 1
Lift 3.2.0-M3 — December 1
Lift 3.2.0-RC1 — December 15

Not entirely sure where that came from; all of the release listings in the ML thread
I linked are aligned to 15ths of months, including your original suggestion :) That said,
the dates are relatively arbitrary anyway, so either way works fine for me. The goal
seems like it’s to timebox, and whether we’re timeboxing on firsts-of-months or
15ths-of-months is 🤷‍♂️

To the point about RC uncertainty: I think we should consider the milestone releases and RC1 to be "train scheduled" releases. So, even if Lift 3.1.0 takes four RCs going into the middle of August, Lift 3.2.0-M1 should still go out on time around the start of August. This is a bit different than how we've done RC's in the past where we declared a merge freeze on master until things were in a final state, but it should give us the freedom to make the right choices about when to declare something "final" while maintaining forward momentum - especially in December where 3.2.0-RC1 comes out right before a long break for most folks.

The post I linked to directly mentions branching off for the RC on the RC date, and
letting master roll forward after that. Diego brought up a concern about splitting folks
on RC vs milestone, and I floated the idea that we could branch off the RC but put
a heavier weight on getting the final release finished over merging new features
into the next milestone. I don’t think that part of the discussion is necessarily 100%
settled, but I’m in a “let’s do this once or twice and see how things move” mode on
that front.

Thanks,

--
Antonio Salazar Cardozo
On twitter @lightfiend

Matt Farmer

Apr 24, 2017, 11:20:57 AM4/24/17
to Lift
Uhm.

Oh. Heh. I think I was using those calendar reminders as "Start harassing folks about getting the release out" and the forgot that was the intent of the calendar reminders.

I'm good either way, too, then. < shrug >