[Lift] Have we (finally) left java 6 behind ?

Peter Petersson

Aug 5, 2015, 1:09:08 PM8/5/15
to liftweb
Hi

I accidentally compiled a Lift 3 app having java setting pointing to
java 6 and got the (in)famous

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: net/liftweb/util/BCrypt : Unsupported major.minor version 51.0

when posting a user registration form in a lift starter template.

I know we use java 7 for Lift 3 (hence the error above) but I am still
unsure about Lift 2.6.2 so I'm throwing out the question here.

Have we finally left java 6 behind ?

best regards Peter Petersson

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Aug 5, 2015, 2:04:23 PM8/5/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
Don't know, but hope so.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Matt Farmer

Aug 5, 2015, 4:08:32 PM8/5/15
to Lift
Pretty sure the 2.6.x series still supports Java 6. 3.0 drops it.

Matt Farmer Blog | Twitter

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

signature.asc

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Aug 5, 2015, 4:12:52 PM8/5/15
to Lift
Do we have a reason we're dropping Java 6? As in, is there a limitation we're trying to
get around? Or is it simply a build choice? Just wondering. If it's not hard for us to support
Java 6 I'd say it would be a Good Thing™—Scala 2.11 supports it, as far as I understand.
Thanks,
Antonio
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to liftweb+unsubscribe@googlegroups.com.

Matt Farmer

Aug 5, 2015, 8:04:30 PM8/5/15
to Lift
Couldn’t tell you. I just remember having a discussion that 3.0 didn’t have to support Java 6 anymore. If that’s wrong then we’ve already screwed up. heh. I do recall it being a PITA to compile correctly for on Mac machines, which a lot of us use. I would have suggested it’s so we can Scala 2.12 cross-compile, but it looks like they decided to skip directly to Java 8?!

Matt Farmer Blog | Twitter

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Aug 5, 2015, 11:04:28 PM8/5/15
to Lift
Yikes, so they have. Looks like we'll be cross-compiling Lift 3 almost before it's out of
the cradle heh.
Thanks,
Antonio

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Aug 6, 2015, 2:50:12 AM8/6/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
På torsdag 06. august 2015 kl. 05:04:28, skrev Antonio Salazar Cardozo <savedf...@gmail.com>:
Yikes, so they have. Looks like we'll be cross-compiling Lift 3 almost before it's out of
the cradle heh.
Thanks,
Antonio

FWIW I think supporting anything below java-1.8 is crazy as it produces much fewer .class-files when compiling for java-1.8 closures. I'm using 2.11.7 with java-8-compat and with the compiler-options -Ydelambdafy:method -Ybackend:GenBCode -target:jvm-1.8 and now our projects contains ~9K classes compared to ~50K classes. Compilation also is faster. When using runtime-weaving (aspectj) the weaving-process is also much faster.

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Peter Petersson

Aug 6, 2015, 3:11:51 AM8/6/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I guess there are no really good reasons for dropping java 6 for the 2.6 series and as Mat pointed out the may be a lot of Mac users still on java 6.

The motivation for dropping it could be:
-- Avoiding occasional compilation mistakes with mixing java 6 and 7 jars resulting in the error I showed in the starting post
-- Avoiding the complication in the build systems (if you mix in java in your code).

But supporting java 6 users as they may be plenty still on Mac (supposedly) and the fact that we are going to have to deal with java 8 soon enough leaves only one somehow week motivation, I guess we have to live with it ;)

best regards Peter Petersson
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com.

Matt Farmer

Aug 6, 2015, 8:57:38 AM8/6/15
to Lift
Peter,

I’m afraid you misunderstood my message.

Most Mac users are on Java 7 or 8 now, I believe. What I meant was that compiling the Framework for Java 6 is annoying on a Mac because before Java 7 Apple was issuing their own version of Java and you have to figure out how to install that, get it working, etc. Setting the target version via compiler flags doesn’t work. This was such a pain that the one time I ran release I finally caved and provisioned a VM on Linode.

So, I’m +1 on dropping Java 6, personally.

Matt Farmer Blog | Twitter

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Aug 6, 2015, 3:01:27 PM8/6/15
to Lift
The counterargument is that many shops may still be running Java 6 on their servers. However,
Oracle stopped support for Java 6 in 2013, so I think we're fine to drop support. Much like with
Oracle, if folks need custom support, there's the option of paying a committer to do the work
needed for that.

Java 7 is EOL as of April of this year, so I think I'm +1 on not supporting it in Lift 3. Whatever
we support when Lift 3 goes out, we should probably continue to support through a hypothetical
Lift 4 release unless something significant occurs, IMO.
Thanks,
Antonio

Joe Barnes

Aug 9, 2015, 9:44:11 PM8/9/15
to Lift
I'm in the camp of letting JDK 6 work if it isn't painful, but if it's painful then we have plenty of reason to drop it (Oracle's EOL in particular).

So, why doesn't it support JDK 6 for free, regardless of the JDK you run sbt with?  I thought that Scala 2.11 (sans compiler options Andreas has mentioned) emits JDK 6-compatible code.

Joe

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Aug 9, 2015, 11:21:21 PM8/9/15
to Lift
I think it's the small amount of Java code we have in the codebase. Maybe we can flag javac
differently? I really can't remember for sure though >_>
Thanks,
Antonio

Joe Barnes

Aug 10, 2015, 8:47:51 AM8/10/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
You mean like this?
javacOptions ++= Seq("-source", "1.6")

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Lift" group.

Peter Petersson

Aug 10, 2015, 10:46:04 AM8/10/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 08/10/2015 02:47 PM, Joe Barnes wrote:
You mean like this?
javacOptions ++= Seq("-source", "1.6")

I have a vague recollection that this is not enough, I think a answer related to this is on the ml somewhere.
best regards Peter

Peter Petersson

Aug 10, 2015, 10:51:58 AM8/10/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
... It's getting vaguer (can't find it)

best regards Peter

Joe Barnes

Aug 10, 2015, 11:52:31 AM8/10/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
That's interesting. We hit this at work one time. Someone built our application with JDK8 and tried to deploy it in ElasticBeanstalk running JDK7.  Adding the javacOptions to our build.sbt did the trick.  I'm quite curious to know what else could go wrong here.

Joe

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Aug 10, 2015, 11:55:58 AM8/10/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
På mandag 10. august 2015 kl. 14:47:45, skrev Joe Barnes <barn...@gmail.com>:
You mean like this?
javacOptions ++= Seq("-source", "1.6")

Isn't ("-target", "1.6") what we want here, to produce 1.6 class-files?

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Robert Marcano

Aug 10, 2015, 12:14:26 PM8/10/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 08/10/2015 11:25 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
På mandag 10. august 2015 kl. 14:47:45, skrev Joe Barnes <barn...@gmail.com>:
You mean like this?
javacOptions ++= Seq("-source", "1.6")

Isn't ("-target", "1.6") what we want here, to produce 1.6 class-files?

Yes "-target" is needed for bytecode level, -source provides source compatibility, some old Java code doesn't compile on new source levels. Use both arguments

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Peter Brant

Aug 10, 2015, 12:22:59 PM8/10/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I don't think that's sufficient if we want to actually support 1.6. It will still compile against the standard library of whatever you're using to do the compile. We could inadvertently end up using a method that wasn't added until later with a resulting runtime error for somebody actually using 1.6.

Pete

Matt Farmer

Aug 10, 2015, 1:10:02 PM8/10/15
to Lift
Diego was the last person to try doing that and we actually had a bad release of Lift in the 2.5 series at one point that resulted from his attempts. We ended up with most things being compiled correctly, but random class files were compiled to the original target. Probably something to do with how our project structure is designed and how sbt manages those settings.

Also only vaguely remember.

But I do know that I was advised to provision a server with Java 6 on it to actually build the artifacts. Which is what I’ve done whenever I run release.

Matt Farmer Blog | Twitter

On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Robert Marcano <rob...@marcanoonline.com> wrote:
On 08/10/2015 11:25 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
På mandag 10. august 2015 kl. 14:47:45, skrev Joe Barnes <barn...@gmail.com>:
You mean like this?
javacOptions ++= Seq("-source", "1.6")

Isn't ("-target", "1.6") what we want here, to produce 1.6 class-files?

Yes "-target" is needed for bytecode level, -source provides source compatibility, some old Java code doesn't compile on new source levels. Use both arguments
--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Robert Marcano

Aug 10, 2015, 4:45:37 PM8/10/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 08/10/2015 11:52 AM, Peter Brant wrote:
> I don't think that's sufficient if we want to actually support 1.6. It
> will still compile against the standard library of whatever you're using
> to do the compile. We could inadvertently end up using a method that
> wasn't added until later with a resulting runtime error for somebody
> actually using 1.6.

True, javac gives a warning about adding the correct classpath when you
run it that way, but if the Lift committer team want to support Java 6,
build and tests will need to be run on a Java 6 JVM, more work I don't
know if they want it.

The -source and -target options assure the bytecode is correct, only
building and testing with the old JVM can assure compatibility. Is like
using reflection to use Java 8 APIs and compiling with a Java 6 JVM, it
will compile, but compatibility with Java 6 is only guaranteed if test
validates the reflection code is only run on Java 8 for example.

> Pete
>
> On Mon, Aug 10, 2015 at 6:14 PM, Robert Marcano
> <rob...@marcanoonline.com <mailto:rob...@marcanoonline.com>> wrote:
>
> On 08/10/2015 11:25 AM, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
>> På mandag 10. august 2015 kl. 14:47:45, skrev Joe Barnes
>> <<mailto:barn...@gmail.com>barn...@gmail.com
>> <mailto:barn...@gmail.com>>:
>>
>> You mean like this?
>>
>> |javacOptions ++=Seq("-source","1.6")|
>>
>> Isn't ("-target", "1.6") what we want here, to produce 1.6
>> class-files?
>
> Yes "-target" is needed for bytecode level, -source provides source
> compatibility, some old Java code doesn't compile on new source
> levels. Use both arguments
>
>> --
>> *Andreas Joseph Krogh*
>> CTO / Partner - Visena AS
>> Mobile: +47 909 56 963 <tel:%2B47%20909%2056%20963>
>> and...@visena.com <mailto:and...@visena.com>
>> www.visena.com <https://www.visena.com>
>> <https://www.visena.com>
>> --
>> --
>> Lift, the simply functional web framework:
>> <http://liftweb.net>http://liftweb.net
>> Code: http://github.com/lift
>> Discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb
>> Stuck? Help us help you:
>> https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Posting_example_code
>>
>> ---
>> Groups "Lift" group.
>> send an email to liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com
>> <mailto:liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com>.
>
> --
> --
> Lift, the simply functional web framework: http://liftweb.net
> Code: http://github.com/lift
> Discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb
> Stuck? Help us help you:
> https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Posting_example_code
>
> ---
> Groups "Lift" group.
> send an email to liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com>.
>

> --
> --
> Lift, the simply functional web framework: http://liftweb.net
> Code: http://github.com/lift
> Discussion: http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb
> Stuck? Help us help you:
> https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Posting_example_code
>
> ---
> Groups "Lift" group.
> an email to liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:liftweb+u...@googlegroups.com>.

Peter Petersson

Aug 11, 2015, 3:31:12 AM8/11/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
On 08/10/2015 10:45 PM, Robert Marcano wrote:
> On 08/10/2015 11:52 AM, Peter Brant wrote:
>> I don't think that's sufficient if we want to actually support 1.6. It
>> will still compile against the standard library of whatever you're using
>> to do the compile. We could inadvertently end up using a method that
>> wasn't added until later with a resulting runtime error for somebody
>> actually using 1.6.
>
> True, javac gives a warning about adding the correct classpath when
> you run it that way, but if the Lift committer team want to support
> Java 6, build and tests will need to be run on a Java 6 JVM, more work
> I don't know if they want it.
>
> The -source and -target options assure the bytecode is correct, only
> building and testing with the old JVM can assure compatibility. Is
> like using reflection to use Java 8 APIs and compiling with a Java 6
> JVM, it will compile, but compatibility with Java 6 is only guaranteed
> if test validates the reflection code is only run on Java 8 for example.

Thanks Robert this was what I was looking for when I said it was not
enough before.

I pretty sure that the current way of building 2.6.x is using the actual
Java 6 jvm/jdk. As I recall there was a try to simplify the cross build
stuff but I think that what you just pointed out was the thing that made
us keep the current setup.

best regards Peter Petersson

Diego Medina

Aug 16, 2015, 1:58:54 PM8/16/15
to Lift
sorry I missed this thread, I think someone already said this but using the flags to build lift using java isn't enough, you have to have the jvm6 and/or the source files for java 6 to actually build it correctly. It was going to be a real pain, and considering java 6 was EOL, we decided lift 3 breaking changes was going to include only building for java 7.

We are not building any more lift 2.6 releases, unless anyone finds a really horrible security bug on lift 2.6, which means lift 2.6 is the last Lift release that supports java 6.

I'm all for only supporting java 8 on lift 3.0 if timing works out.

Thanks

Diego Medina
Lift/Scala consultant
di...@fmpwizard.com
http://blog.fmpwizard.com/

Matt Farmer

Aug 17, 2015, 10:36:23 AM8/17/15
to Lift
So, should we start an up/down +1/-1 vote on dropping Java 7 support in Lift 3?

It sounds like we’re currently at +3 / -0, with myself, Antonio, and Diego in favor.

Matt Farmer Blog | Twitter

Joe Barnes

Aug 17, 2015, 12:09:58 PM8/17/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
The original 2.12 Roadmap has it's final release targeting January 2016.  I'm in favor of going further and waiting to release Lift 3.0 in that time frame only targeting Scala 2.12/jdk8

Joe

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Lift" group.

Matt Farmer

Aug 17, 2015, 12:37:41 PM8/17/15
to Lift
I am not in favor of that, tbh.

Scala 2.11 has been out long enough that I think it’s O.K. to start expecting libraries and applications to support it. I also think it’s good to provide some scala version overlap between 2.6 and 3.0. We’ll want to start cross building as soon as 2.12 comes out, but let’s not add additional pain onto the Lift 3 upgrade by requiring two Scala version jumps.

My 0.02.

Matt Farmer Blog | Twitter

Antonio Salazar Cardozo

Aug 17, 2015, 1:14:39 PM8/17/15
to Lift
Agree. I'd like to get Lift 3 out by the end of the year or early next if we can, and I
think if we were to go 2.12 only I wouldn't be comfortable unless we waited another
quarter or two to make sure any 2.12 language/lib issues were shaken out.
Thanks,
Antonio

    Code: http://github.com/lift
    Stuck? Help us help you:
https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Posting_example_code

    ---
    Groups "Lift" group.

Code: http://github.com/lift
Stuck? Help us help you:
https://www.assembla.com/wiki/show/liftweb/Posting_example_code

---
Groups "Lift" group.

Code: http://github.com/lift

Diego Medina
Lift/Scala consultant
di...@fmpwizard.com
http://blog.fmpwizard.com/

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Code: http://github.com/lift

---

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Aug 17, 2015, 1:34:06 PM8/17/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
På mandag 17. august 2015 kl. 16:36:11, skrev Matt Farmer <ma...@frmr.me>:
So, should we start an up/down +1/-1 vote on dropping Java 7 support in Lift 3?

It sounds like we’re currently at +3 / -0, with myself, Antonio, and Diego in favor.

+1 for dropping jdk7 for Lift3

--
Andreas Joseph Krogh
CTO / Partner - Visena AS

Vasya Novikov

Aug 31, 2015, 1:35:43 PM8/31/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
I'd vote to keep java7 compatibility if that does not mean lots of
additional work.

In particular, I do not even have java8 in my package manager. Both
Debian-stable and Ubuntu-LTS only have the 6 and 7 versions.

https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
http://packages.ubuntu.com/

On 2015-08-17 18:37, Matt Farmer wrote:
> [...]
>>>
>>> |javacOptions ++=Seq("-source","1.6")|
>>>
>>> Isn't ("-target", "1.6") what we want here, to produce 1.6
>>> class-files?
>>>
>>> Yes "-target" is needed for bytecode level, -source provides source
>>> compatibility, some old Java code doesn't compile on new source
>>> levels. Use both arguments
>>>
>>> --
>>> *Andreas Joseph Krogh*
>>> CTO / Partner - Visena AS
>>> Mobile: +47 909 56 963 <tel:%2B47%20909%2056%20963> <tel:%2B47%20909%2056%20963>
>>> and...@visena.com <mailto:and...@visena.com> <mailto:and...@visena.com <mailto:and...@visena.com>>
>>> www.visena.com <http://www.visena.com/> <https://www.visena.com <https://www.visena.com/>>
>>> <https://www.visena.com <https://www.visena.com/>>
>>> --
>>> --
>>> Lift, the simply functional web framework:

Vasya Novikov

Andreas Joseph Krogh

Aug 31, 2015, 2:08:03 PM8/31/15
to lif...@googlegroups.com
På mandag 31. august 2015 kl. 19:35:27, skrev Vasya Novikov <n1m5-goo...@yandex.ru>:
I'd vote to keep java7 compatibility if that does not mean lots of
additional work.

In particular, I do not even have java8 in my package manager. Both
Debian-stable and Ubuntu-LTS only have the 6 and 7 versions.

https://www.debian.org/distrib/packages
http://packages.ubuntu.com/

I don't think what ships with the distro should count, that would be like excluding Windows (AFAIK JAVA doesn't ship with Windows).
Luckily there exist installers, for Windows, Ubuntu/Debian and almos any other wildly used OS, which makes java8 available.

add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java
apt-get update
apt-get install oracle-java8-installer

--