Making the world a better place

Benjamin Fleischer

Jul 11, 2013, 12:41:06 PM7/11/13
to license...@googlegroups.com, bflei...@gmail.com
Check how this sweet project hack:

I'm using rubygems/gems to download the latest gems and check for a license
If missing, I use ghi to check for an issue mentioning 'license'
If no such issue, I create an issue 'License missing from gemspec'
-> profit

Still requires manual intervention to respond to people, answer questions, and thank them.

-Benjamin

Brent Wheeldon

Jul 11, 2013, 3:31:46 PM7/11/13
to Benjamin Fleischer, license...@googlegroups.com
Nice! I'd been thinking of doing something like this myself, now you've saved me the trouble!

I think that, in the long term, the permanent solution to this problem is for rubygems to require a license to publish a gem using their service. This would make the detection of licenses trivial. But it seems like rubygems isn't willing to require it.

Benjamin Fleischer

Nov 25, 2013, 3:18:58 PM11/25/13
to license...@googlegroups.com, Benjamin Fleischer
So, I got this PR in to recommend a license https://github.com/rubygems/rubygems/pull/713