Adding BLAKE2S as a hash

ronwa...@gmail.com

Aug 3, 2014, 2:05:02 AM8/3/14
to lib...@googlegroups.com
Hi -

I want to use the BLAKE2S (https://blake2.net/) hash within the TomCrypt structure.

Unfortunately, I don't see a way to add my (previously unknown to TC) hash without modifying TC code, particularly the "hash_state" structure.

Am I missing something?   I don't want to make my own modifications to TC unless it's really necessary.

Thanks!

Steffen Jaeckel

Aug 3, 2014, 9:57:02 AM8/3/14
to lib...@googlegroups.com, Ron Aaron
Hi,

as the BLAKE2 sources are CC0 licensed we could simply integrate BLAKE2
in ltc. (Patches/Pull Requests welcome)

Otherwise you could somehow modify the BLAKE2 sources to fit the ltc
structures and create your own structs for ltc_hash_descriptor and
hash_state ... and after some nasty typecasts you should be able to
register the BLAKE2 descriptor and use BLAKE2 as if it were built into
ltc...

I'd prefer the way to integrate it into ltc... also it'd be somehow the
same effort without the need to do these nasty typecasts...

Steffen
--
Steffen Jaeckel - s_ja...@gmx.de
GnuPG fingerprint: C438 6A23 7ED4 3A47 5541 B942 7B2C D0DD 4BCF F59B

Steffen Jaeckel

Apr 20, 2017, 3:09:26 PM4/20/17
On 03.08.2014 15:56, Steffen Jaeckel wrote:
> On 03.08.2014 08:05, ronwa...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi -
>>
>> I want to use the BLAKE2S (https://blake2.net/) hash within the TomCrypt
>> structure.
>>
>> Unfortunately, I don't see a way to add my (previously unknown to TC)
>> hash without modifying TC code, particularly the "hash_state" structure.
>>
>> Am I missing something? I don't want to make my own modifications to
>> TC unless it's really necessary.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> Hi,
>
> as the BLAKE2 sources are CC0 licensed we could simply integrate BLAKE2
> in ltc. (Patches/Pull Requests welcome)
>
> Otherwise you could somehow modify the BLAKE2 sources to fit the ltc
> structures and create your own structs for ltc_hash_descriptor and
> hash_state ... and after some nasty typecasts you should be able to
> register the BLAKE2 descriptor and use BLAKE2 as if it were built into
> ltc...
>
> I'd prefer the way to integrate it into ltc... also it'd be somehow the
> same effort without the need to do these nasty typecasts...
>
> Steffen

Done.

https://github.com/libtom/libtomcrypt/pull/191

--
Steffen Jaeckel - s_ja...@gmx.de
GnuPG fingerprint: C438 6A23 7ED4 3A47 5541 B942 7B2C D0DD 4BCF F59B
My OTR key has changed on 30. Sept. 2015!
jabber: jae...@jabber.ccc.de F052DE29 4FA9A02D 44A794E5 AE5AC0FB C5865C64

Ron Aaron

Apr 21, 2017, 1:28:06 AM4/21/17
to LibTom Projects, ronwa...@gmail.com, s_ja...@gmx.de

On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 10:09:26 PM UTC+3, Steffen Jaeckel wrote:

Done.

https://github.com/libtom/libtomcrypt/pull/191

Thanks!  Of course, I long ago integrated BLAKE2s (and 2b) into 8th.  But I'm looking forward to the official next release of tomcrypt!