Captive Portal for Library Box

Christian Heise

Nov 10, 2014, 9:51:39 AM11/10/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

first of all: thank you so much for your great work. I ve used librarybox for various reasons and situations (conferences, urban advertising, anonymous letterboxes, library systems...) and i am really happy about having this great system.

Just one question:
How can i reactivate the captive portal solution, so that every device which connects to the box gets an explaniation or hint about the box (like if you connect to hotspots)? I ve looked everywhere and i did not find a solution.

Would be great if you could help me.

Yours,
Christian

Matthias Strubel

Nov 21, 2014, 5:25:34 AM11/21/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Christian,

there is no solution online, because we never created one. We tried our best to circumvent the effect of the captive portals.
You need to install something like "nodogsplash" and customize the running uhttpd service and such a stuff.  Not something, you might do in one single evening ^^

Sorry for the late response,
liebe Grüße Matthias

Christian Heise

Nov 21, 2014, 5:44:05 AM11/21/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Bennett Kobb

Nov 30, 2014, 11:16:02 AM11/30/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
> We tried our best to circumvent the effect of the captive portal

Node.js based http servers are immune to the effect of the captive portal. Example: superstatic.org

Matthias Strubel

Nov 30, 2014, 11:23:21 AM11/30/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

The effects of the captive portal is on the client side, how can a webserver be immune to it?
I think you misunderstood what I tried to explain. The effects of the captive portal stuff is that you don't get a fully featured browser because ie iOS restrict the device to minimum functionality.

Regards
Matthias

On 30 Nov 2014, at 17:16, Bennett Kobb <hey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We tried our best to circumvent the effect of the captive portal

Node.js based http servers are immune to the effect of the captive portal. Example: superstatic.org

Bennett Kobb

Dec 2, 2014, 1:08:50 PM12/2/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

On Sunday, November 30, 2014 11:23:21 AM UTC-5, Matthias Strubel wrote:

The effects of the captive portal is on the client side, how can a webserver be immune to it?
I think you misunderstood what I tried to explain. The effects of the captive portal stuff is that you don't get a fully featured browser because ie iOS restrict the device to minimum functionality.

I understand, Matthias. But the iOS device appears to behave differently when it connects to a Node.js based webserver, than when it connects to more conventional webserver like lighttpd:

* The iOS device does not appear to try to contact Apple servers looking for success.html. Superstatic logs the HTTP interactions and they are different.

* The initial setup of connection with the Node webserver is faster, the page is delivered and displayed more quickly than when Lighttpd is spoofing the Apple server by detecting browser user-agent.

* The "Log In" browser does not appear on the iOS device.

My conclusions could be wrong - but I have observed this now with three Node based webservers: Superstatic, Harp, and the Node server in the Smile Plug (which I don't have anymore).

Matthias Strubel

Dec 2, 2014, 2:29:42 PM12/2/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Bennett, do you spoof all the dns requests as well to your running IP ?
Do you have parallel Internet access open ?
Is your node webserver running on Port 80..?

(I know, silly questions)

Which hardware do you use?

Bennett Kobb

Dec 2, 2014, 2:43:41 PM12/2/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Not silly questions at all!

First - my experiments are not with LibraryBox, they are on Raspberry Pi Raspbian running Node.js + Superstatic + dnsmasq

RasPi is given static IP. Dnsmasq set up to direct all DNS requests to its own IP

No Internet access

Node server serves on 80.

Pi is connected by Ethernet to external AP. Purpose of this setup is only to serve web pages to connected Wi-Fi clients. No other function.

Bennett Kobb

Dec 2, 2014, 2:44:38 PM12/2/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Dnsmasq is serving DHCP out to clients too.

Matthias Strubel

Dec 2, 2014, 4:19:03 PM12/2/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bennett,
thanks for the detailed description.

I'm wondering why you haven't encountered that crappy login box.

I would love to see a packet dump + traces from an iOS device logging into your network... because the iOS shouldn't be able to differ between the webserver on the remote end.. but nobody knows what magic is inside iOS :)
.. and the lighttpd doesn't spoof his signature, he only reads the request URL and delivers a specific web page.

I'm suprised

Matthias

Dnsmasq is serving DHCP out to clients too.

361.gif