Are TP-Link TL-842N version 3.1 routers supported?

Allan Lee

Dec 10, 2016, 1:06:21 AM12/10/16
to LibraryBox
I recently ordered four TP-Link TL-842ND routers and the supplier sent me four TL-842N version 3.1 routers instead. I don't see firmware for this on the LibraryBox site, but I do see some mention on https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr842nd. (The body of the router is just like that of the TL-842ND, but with non-removable antennas, in contrast to the TL-842N that Amazon sells which has a totally different look.)

Don Clark

Jan 4, 2017, 5:39:47 AM1/4/17
to LibraryBox
I got a bunch of TL-842N version 3.1 routers too when I was expecting version 2.  I sucessfully installed OpenWRT on it using the first bin file marked "Tested OK" from the page you referenced.  Unfortunately, LibraryBox wasn't automatically installed.  Tried rebooting too.  Still nothing.  I can telnet into the box and get the OpenWRT welcome screen.

Trying to figure out the next step now.

Matthias Strubel

Jan 4, 2017, 6:07:16 AM1/4/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Don,
doublecheck your USB sticks.
If you can telnet, verify if you see /dev/sda only or if you see /dev/sda1 , too.

best regards Matthias

I got a bunch of TL-842N version 3.1 routers too when I was expecting version 2.  I sucessfully installed OpenWRT on it using the first bin file marked "Tested OK" from the page you referenced.  Unfortunately, LibraryBox wasn't automatically installed.  Tried rebooting too.  Still nothing.  I can telnet into the box and get the OpenWRT welcome screen.

Trying to figure out the next step now.

Don Clark

Jan 8, 2017, 7:52:19 PM1/8/17
to LibraryBox
Thanks Matthias.  I double checked the USB stick.  I sucessfully used the same one to install LibraryBox on a version 2 router and have tried a completely different stick.  Either way, when I telnet into the router I can't mount the USB stick or find it under mnt.

I am wondering if it is a firmware issue as I noticed the references to a version 3.1 router on the OpenWRT site are for an EU version and I purchased these routers in North America.  I tried two versions of the firmware--the one mentioned above and one from trunk--and both are not letting me install LibraryBox properly.

Jason Griffey

Jan 8, 2017, 8:41:15 PM1/8/17
to LibraryBox

If you're looking at/loading OpenWRT natively, you're not installing LibraryBox. For the LibraryBox installs, you need to use the pre-compiled firmware on the LibraryBox site...only those have the ability to do the customizations for LibraryBox. Just loading OpenWRT and then inserting the USB won't do anything.

:-/

Jason

On Sun, Jan 8, 2017 at 6:52 PM Don Clark <dnc...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks Matthias.  I double checked the USB stick.  I sucessfully used the same one to install LibraryBox on a version 2 router and have tried a completely different stick.  Either way, when I telnet into the router I can't mount the USB stick or find it under mnt.

I am wondering if it is a firmware issue as I noticed the references to a version 3.1 router on the OpenWRT site are for an EU version and I purchased these routers in North America.  I tried two versions of the firmware--the one mentioned above and one from trunk--and both are not letting me install LibraryBox properly.

Don Clark

Jan 8, 2017, 10:40:22 PM1/8/17
to LibraryBox
Thanks Jason.  That explains why the installation wasn`t working then.

Jason Griffey

Jan 8, 2017, 11:03:02 PM1/8/17
to LibraryBox

Yeah, the installation instructions for LibraryBox here (http://librarybox.us/buildingv2.1.php) is what you are after. The bad news is that I haven't tested the v3 of the 842n routers. I'm actually surprised that you can still get OpenWRT on them, given the TP-Link firmware lockdown of 2016.

Jason