Questions / ideas for the next release

Jonathan hall

Nov 9, 2014, 7:19:10 PM11/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
I have just installed my first LibraryBox and have some ideas about where and how it could be used.... There are a couple of questions that I have.....

1. It says on the site that the funding for LibraryBox is running out October and also mentions v2.5..... so the related questions are.. what is in the roadmap for LibraryBox? are there any release dates/plans/notes for v2.5?

2. A couple of things that I would like to see is the ability to customise the interface.... so for v 2.5 would it be possible....

a. To have themes or multiple selectable web templates for the interface - Possiblly like
         [ROOT]
             ˪Theme
                  ˪[ThemeName1]
                  ˪[ThemeName2]
     and then a config file to switch between the themes
          Theme=[ThemeName1]

b. to have the ability to update the file browser. It appears that it is difficult to get to the lighttpd.conf file to make changes. Something like
          • http://larsjung.de/h5ai/
          • Or others depending on what you can configure

c. Have you considered a CMS system. I know that this challenges the speed and size of the project but there are cases where giving a library box to someone with a CMS system would make it possible for them to manager their own library box.There are some reviews here http://www.webhostingsearch.com/articles/flat-file-cms.php

In my initial look around I have (quickly) set up a couple of files that may assist in the thinking for the next version.... I have gone through the initial index.htm page and moved some of the components text and image settings to a config.ini file. If you open the config.ini you can see some of the variables that can be changes.... these are then incorporated in to the index.php file..... Still needs a heap of work but could be an idea to move toward the theme idea that in #2.a.

thanks for the project so far.... looking forward to what else is possible

Jonathan Hall

index.php
config.ini

Jason Griffey

Nov 9, 2014, 9:34:14 PM11/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Jonathan,

All of that is very good (and useful) stuff. We are currently in the v2.1 beta 2 testing, and I hope that I can get to the rest of the testing I need to do this week. The v2.1 adds styled directory listings, with an easy-to-use CSS styling system (although I do really like that h5ai system and may look at it for the next release). It also adds internationalization, which complicates the theming idea you have...doesn't make it impossible or anything, but does complicate the implementation. Wait until you see what the 2.1 brings, and see what you think then.

It should be out soon!

Jason

Jonathan hall

Nov 9, 2014, 9:50:21 PM11/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Any chance of a preview version to assist you in testing?

Jason Griffey

Nov 9, 2014, 10:09:22 PM11/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
In the past, we've always had a public beta period...I want to make sure the obvious bugs are squashed before that, though. :-)

Jason

Jonathan hall

Nov 9, 2014, 10:24:22 PM11/9/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Certainly understand the desire to get all the obvious bugs.... please let me know when you are looking for assistance.... more than happy to help

Steve Christy

Nov 10, 2014, 1:28:40 PM11/10/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
I have used the BibleBox, which is built on LibraryBox and there is a way to easily incorporate h5ai in to the browser (http://biblebox.org/installing-h5ai-biblebox/). I have used it on a LibraryBox 2.0 also and it runs well.

Steve