Raspberry Pi Zero W?

Singletona082

Apr 11, 2017, 7:46:29 AM4/11/17
to LibraryBox
I've got a Pi W on the way and considering I have a nice who has a tablet and a couple other kids that I help watch who also phone/tablet/whatever, I figure this might be something of an easy way to get them to pick up a few more books. If nothing else it will be an interesting 'my first project' sort of thing.

The Pi Zero W is a raspberry pi Zero, which is esentially the same specs as the original raspberry pi but with a miro hdmi out, no analogue ports, a micro usb port, a micro sd card slot, and forty gpio pins. The W variant adds built in wifi and low power bluetooth on board. It costs $10 and I figure it was worth poking my head in here to see if anyone's worked on a Library Box image for the platform and if not see how hard it would be to adjust an existing image, or modify a piratebox image to become a library box.

Jason Griffey

Apr 11, 2017, 11:22:26 AM4/11/17
to LibraryBox

Hello!

LibraryBox will be part of the Google Summer of Code this year, and the goal of that will be to port the project (finally) over to the Raspberry Pi. We're going to be using the RPi3 as the standard, but supporting the Zero W is very much a part of the plan.

Expect more news once the GSoC projects are formally announced. So: yes, plans are afoot!

Jason

On Tue, Apr 11, 2017 at 6:46 AM Singletona082 <single...@gmail.com> wrote:
I've got a Pi W on the way and considering I have a nice who has a tablet and a couple other kids that I help watch who also phone/tablet/whatever, I figure this might be something of an easy way to get them to pick up a few more books. If nothing else it will be an interesting 'my first project' sort of thing.

The Pi Zero W is a raspberry pi Zero, which is esentially the same specs as the original raspberry pi but with a miro hdmi out, no analogue ports, a micro usb port, a micro sd card slot, and forty gpio pins. The W variant adds built in wifi and low power bluetooth on board. It costs $10 and I figure it was worth poking my head in here to see if anyone's worked on a Library Box image for the platform and if not see how hard it would be to adjust an existing image, or modify a piratebox image to become a library box.

Randy Noseworthy

May 14, 2017, 11:36:54 AM5/14/17
to LibraryBox
Summer of Code.  Nice. I'd love to be able to see LibraryBox and put LibraryBox on a Pi.

But I keep thinking that as there is a PirateBox pi image, wouldn't it be simple to just add LibraryBox to that with a few scripts or ?

But then, I've not even "seen" Library box in action or on any device. Or know how closely married it to the WRT.

Matthias Strubel

May 14, 2017, 11:58:08 AM5/14/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Jason, do you know if somebody was qualified/approved/commited by Google to work on GSoC LibraryBox?

Randy, it is not necessarily bound hardly to OpenWrt. It totally depends on the features you like to see on the RPi. The USB-stick configuration feature, for example, is about 80%  bound to OpenWrt. The Mesh feature as well for different reasons.
The basic functionality is not relatively independend.

br Matthias

Morgan Gangwere

May 14, 2017, 9:41:15 PM5/14/17
to LibraryBox
That would be me.

How I'm planning on doing it should mean the Pi W will get support. Getting one is a little harder for me though ;)

Randy Noseworthy

May 14, 2017, 10:05:42 PM5/14/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Why is going to be hard?

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LibraryBox" group.

Morgan Gangwere

May 14, 2017, 10:21:46 PM5/14/17
to LibraryBox
Ah, they're more available now. When I checked a month or two ago, it was near impossible to find the little suckers.

Randy Noseworthy

May 15, 2017, 11:09:06 PM5/15/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Good deal. I'm thinking that I'll spring for one too. They're find able, but not on Adafruit.
I'm kind of curious how people connect to it without the RJ45 connection.

Randy Noseworthy

Matthias Strubel

May 16, 2017, 1:05:21 AM5/16/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On PirateBox RPi image, we configured the image to autostart the accesspoint to get access via the normal open wifi connection.
I do not know how other OS will work, but you always have the possibility to connect monitor and keyboard.

best regards
Matthias

Leonard Payne

May 16, 2017, 1:42:48 PM5/16/17
to LibraryBox

I've got a couple of them. The latest version has wifi and bluetooth.

It only has mini usb and mini hdmi ports.

I bought a dongle which plugs into the mini usb and gives me 3 x USB and 1 x Ethernet RJ45

I plug the ethernet into the router and off we go.

Note well that the OS Raspbian does NOT come with SSH enabled by default so you will need a keyboard, mouse and hdmi screen to get into it to set it up.

Hope that helps

Leonard

--
Randy Noseworthy

Jason Griffey

May 16, 2017, 1:49:13 PM5/16/17
to LibraryBox

FWIW: On current versions of Raspian, you can drop a blank file named "ssh" into the boot partition to enable ssh on initial install.

Jason

Leonard Payne

May 16, 2017, 4:11:53 PM5/16/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks

It was worth belonging just for that gold nugget

Sent from my iPhone
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "LibraryBox" group.