MR3020(UN) issue

David

Sep 26, 2017, 1:41:12 AM9/26/17
to LibraryBox

Hello,

I've made more than 100 Librabybox with MR3020 for my company but my dealer have got now a new version (?) of the router : MR3020(UN) and it's now impossible for me to install openwrt.

Same firmware number.
Same harware number.

But after flashing openwrt the router don't start, even in failsafe mode, power and WPS/reset lights are on and... nothing more !

Any idea please ?

Jason Griffey

Sep 26, 2017, 10:36:46 AM9/26/17
to LibraryBox

Hey David,

You're the first to report this, and I haven't seen it pop up yet. I see you also reported it in the OpenWRT forum...could you post the pics you took of the boards here as well?

Anyone else seen this?

Jason

David

Sep 26, 2017, 10:51:14 AM9/26/17
to LibraryBox
Hello Jason,

Thank you for your answer !

Here are the pictures :

(Left : TL-MR3020 VS Right : TL-MR3020(UN)

Matthias Strubel

Sep 26, 2017, 11:12:48 AM9/26/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
Thanks for reporting the issue here, in Piratebox forum ( https://forum.piratebox.cc/read.php?8,21280 )(talking about piratebox) and openwrt forum ( https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=72152 ).

Same Q like in the openwrt forum: can you provide a serial output from an attached adapter?

Beside if that, I'll keep an eye on the openwrt forum, which is full of answers & questions i would give as well.

Best regards Matthias

David

Sep 27, 2017, 1:58:56 AM9/27/17
to LibraryBox
Hi Matthias,

No, for the moment i have no usb-ttl adapter, sorry.

Best regards,
David
Message has been deleted

Bob Braswell

Oct 24, 2017, 12:12:45 PM10/24/17
to LibraryBox
David, I just last week (mid-Oct 2017) purchased a MR3020 from Amazon.com. When I tried flashing openwrt I got exactly the same results as you report below. The packaging did not give any clue that it was MR3020(UN) instead of MR3020, but I suspect this must be the case based on the results, unless you advise me differently. Is there any obvious marking on the MR3020(UN) or is the result of trying to flash openwrt the only way to tell which they sent me?

thanks,

Bob

David Rofas

Oct 24, 2017, 12:41:05 PM10/24/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hello Bob,

Yes, it's written under the barcodes on the router and on the sticker under the box.

Best regards,
David

Bob Braswell

Matthias Strubel

Oct 27, 2017, 12:28:09 AM10/27/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

this tar.gz file contains the patched bin file for the MR3020 UN.
The patch applied on this image can be found here: https://github.com/FriedZombie/OpenWrt_Attitude-Adjustment_backports/pull/10

I haven't tested this for Librarybox (nor for PirateBox), but the "image only" (without modification) was verified here https://forum.piratebox.cc/read.php?8,21099,21369#msg-21369
Any tester with serial adapter to verify this image on an not UN and a UN device are welcome.

best regards
Matthias

librarybox_mr3020.tar.gz

David Rofas

Oct 27, 2017, 2:12:04 AM10/27/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Great !

Thank you Matthias !

I haven't received my USB cable yet so I can't test for the moment.

Best regards,
David

Matthias Strubel

Oct 28, 2017, 12:08:10 AM10/28/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
I received the feedback on the PirateBox forum https://forum.piratebox.cc/read.php?8,21099,21374#msg-21374 that the LibraryBox image file is working well, too.

So you might try to flash one of your leftover MR3020(UN)

best regards Matthias

Message has been deleted

Jeremy Nixon

Oct 29, 2017, 12:42:59 AM10/29/17
to LibraryBox
Can anyone comment on the LibraryBox/Config directory?  Though I'm quite happy to modify the relevant /etc and /opt/piratebox/ configs, this no-longer seems to work on my v2.1 clean-install.  The last device I was able to confirm this working was a TL-MR3040 V2.

Matthias Strubel

Oct 29, 2017, 5:01:55 AM10/29/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jeremy,
is this related to the new MR3020 image? Or to the LibraryBox version?
On the USB stick should be a file called: apply_config.log , here you might find an indication what is wrong. You should also avoid special characters like " '

best regards Matthias

Allan Lee

Oct 30, 2017, 11:04:21 AM10/30/17
to LibraryBox
Iꞌve made up a LOT of MR3040 and WR842ND LibraryBoxes, but never any MR3020 ones. Seeing that Amazon has MR3020 routers for $28 I decided to order a few. After ordering I saw that there is an issue with some MR3020s being shipped by Amazon as being MR3020(UN) versions. Honestly, I donꞌt understand some of the technical discussion going on in this thread. So what is the bottom line? Upon receiving my routers, if they are MR3020(UN) units, should I return them to Amazon, or sit tight until there is MR3020(UN) firmware posted on the LibraryBox page?

Matthias Strubel

Oct 30, 2017, 11:35:49 AM10/30/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
the conclusion of this thread is: use the images I provided in the ZIP file from before.

I do not know if Jason exchanged the image files on librarybox.us

best regards Matthias

Jason Griffey

Oct 30, 2017, 11:58:18 AM10/30/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com

I've got an MR3020 on order right now, as soon as it gets here (hopefully tomorrow) and I can verify that it's an MR3020U, I'll test the image in question. Once I'm confident it works, I'll update the LibrarBox website with the new image.

Look for that before the end of the week.

Jason

David

Oct 31, 2017, 3:49:23 AM10/31/17
to LibraryBox
Hello,

OK, it works on my MR3020(UN) !

Thank you Matthias.

Best regards,
David
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to librarybox+...@googlegroups.com.

Jeremy Nixon

Nov 1, 2017, 2:00:29 AM11/1/17
to LibraryBox
On closer inspection it looks related to my LibraryBox version, I couldn't find any configs or hooks pointing back to the usb Config directory.  Not to worry it was a simple process to update the files directly and now everything works great.

Have done a lot of testing in the past few days and the image appears good and stable on my first MR3020(UN) build.  We will be building dozens of these to send out into the field so this really is fantastic news.

Matthias Strubel

Nov 1, 2017, 2:33:18 AM11/1/17
to libra...@googlegroups.com
If you used the piratebox image for LibraryBox, the the USB config is not pre installed. (Yes, you can use the piratebox .bin file to install LibraryBox. Other way around you only miss the USB config option)

In the LibraryBox .bin images , there should be a folder called /opt/autocfg

Glad it is working,
Best regards Matthias

Pierre Smith

Dec 23, 2017, 4:00:13 PM12/23/17
to LibraryBox
Hi David

I have the same issue. How exactly did you fix your router? Do I need a usb to serial cable and do I need to open my router? Can you please point me to the right instructions if available somewhere on the net. I am not experienced in openwrt, but can read instructions.

Thanks

Pierre

David

Jan 8, 2018, 9:05:56 AM1/8/18
to LibraryBox
Hello Pierre,

Yes you need an USB-TTL cable soldered on your router motherboard to fix it !

Hannah F

Feb 5, 2018, 3:37:28 PM2/5/18
to LibraryBox
I wonder if anyone can help me...

Last year (May–October) I successfully made five MR3020(UN) routers into LibraryBoxes with no problem.

Last week I tried to build another two boxes, and did exactly the same as before. Only they both got 'stuck' trying to upgrade to open wrt firmware and never restarted. Now both the power and WPS lights come on, but nothing more. Failsafe mode doesn't work either.

Is there any way of recovering these routers?

Hannah

Matthias Strubel

Feb 5, 2018, 11:11:24 PM2/5/18
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
if those devices are flashed with the wrong firmware (wrong file, or another unknown change by tplink), you can only recover those devices using serial access.
:-(

best regards Matthias

Jason Griffey

Feb 5, 2018, 11:35:04 PM2/5/18
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Given that TP-Link seems to be only shipping the new, non-working MR3020s at this point, I've edited the LibraryBox website to indicate that new MR3020s shouldn't be used with our firmware.

:-(

Jason

Matthias Strubel

Feb 6, 2018, 12:01:43 AM2/6/18
to libra...@googlegroups.com
yes, I just added a note to piratebox.cc, because it seems that the new v3 model is more public available. (and not OpenWrt compatible).
But on v3 it is not possible to flash our custom firmware, the vendor webfrontend does reject the .bin file

best regards Matthias