LibraryBox not supporting Spanish

Allan Lee

May 22, 2017, 9:43:40 PM5/22/17
to LibraryBox
Iꞌve prepared two LibraryBox units for use in southern Spain. When I switch my phoneꞌs default language to French the LibraryBox supports French. But it does NOT give me a menu in Spanish when I change the phoneꞌs default language to either US Spanish or Mexican Spanish (the only two Spanish options on my phone). Why is LibraryBox 2.1 not offering a menu in Spanish? Might it perhaps recognize Castillian Spanish?

Jason Griffey

May 22, 2017, 9:49:54 PM5/22/17
to LibraryBox

The phone's language isn't important, it's the language that the browser reports when it does an HTTP request that determines the language returned. For Spanish, that is "es", which is the "generic" browser code for the spanish language. If the phone (which kind? Android?) doesn't send the generic code when using the browser, that's the issue.

A handy list of browser language codes is here: http://www.metamodpro.com/browser-language-codes

There is, I assure you, a Spanish language translation. Try setting the browser on a computer to Spanish and test it.

Jason

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 8:43 PM Allan Lee <all...@gmail.com> wrote:
Iꞌve prepared two LibraryBox units for use in southern Spain. When I switch my phoneꞌs default language to French the LibraryBox supports French. But it does NOT give me a menu in Spanish when I change the phoneꞌs default language to either US Spanish or Mexican Spanish (the only two Spanish options on my phone). Why is LibraryBox 2.1 not offering a menu in Spanish? Might it perhaps recognize Castillian Spanish?

Allan Lee

May 22, 2017, 10:42:43 PM5/22/17
to LibraryBox
If that is so, then why did simply changing the phoneꞌs language to French cause the LibraryBox to bring up the French menu? I did try on a laptop to which I had changed Chrome to Spanish, and I did get a Spanish menu.

Jason Griffey

May 22, 2017, 11:13:06 PM5/22/17
to LibraryBox

I am assuming that when changed to "French" that it defaults to generic "French" browser code. If it doesn't allow you to choose "generic spanish" as a language option, but instead specifies the regional spanish variant and then provides that particular browser code...which the translation engine doesn't treat the same.

I can fix this, though...just realized how I can patch this in the hopefully-soon-to-be-released 2.2. If you can't wait that long, there's probably a patch that could be put on existing Boxen. Give me a few days, and I could provide a download and instructions.

Jason

Jason Griffey

May 22, 2017, 11:30:13 PM5/22/17
to LibraryBox

Give this a try:

  • Download this zip file, and unzip it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qx6fjwycy1yxj3b/locales.zip?dl=0
  • The result should be a folder called "locales"
  • Power down your LibraryBox, and put the USB drive into your computer.
  • Locate the folder on your USB drive called "locales"...it should be in /LibraryBox/Content
  • Rename the existing folder to "locales_old", and then copy the new folder into /LibraryBox/Content
  • Put the USB back in the 'box, and power it back up.

Now test it for Spanish. I added a handful of additional Spanish browser codes to the setup, hopefully one of those is what your phone is calling for. If not, we'll need to know specifically what it's doing in order to debug the problem.

Let me know if the above works.

Jason