Nb of simultaneous connections?

François Clapuyt

Mar 28, 2016, 4:11:02 PM3/28/16
to LibraryBox
Hello,

After bricking my first router by interrupting the installation process (got a brand new one after fooling a bit the customer service), I just finished installing LibraryBox on a TL-WR1043ND device.
It works like a charm! Thanks for the great work!

My questions:
  • How many devices can be simultaneously connected to the LibraryBox? Devices that will just be reading the files.
  • Does the connection via FTP from another device to update the files has to be taken into account?

My plan: one device will regularly update files on the LibraryBox via FTP. And users (at least 10) will be able to read/download the content of the LibraryBox regularly to get the latest version.

Thanks for the help,

François.

PS: Note regarding installation guide: on step 7, the IP adress of the TL-WR1043ND router is http://192.168.0.1 and not http://192.168.1.1.

Matthias Strubel

Mar 29, 2016, 1:04:52 PM3/29/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

  • How many devices can be simultaneously connected to the LibraryBox? Devices that will just be reading the files.

Around 200 individual users within 12 hours can connect and go offline. This timeframe can be reduced to something like 30 minutes.

The more limiting factor is the IO & CPU bandwith of those tiny devices. Beside the limited 150Mbits / 300Mbits wifi connection, the USB stick can only carry ~10-15MB/s. If all clients start to download big files (>1GB) at the same time, you can't expect high transfer rates.

If the clients only stream media (compared to copy the complete file at once), you can serve more. The most factors depend on the data, environment and used USB sticks.

I recommend to slowly try to scale up with your particular data.

  • Does the connection via FTP from another device to update the files has to be taken into account?
Yes, because it is also a limiting factor in USB I/O bandwith, wifi band and CPU power.

btw: I guess your first WR1043ND can be recovered by with some passion.. even without soldering ;)

Sorry, to be not concrete in detail to your question, but please understand that there is no common answer to those :)

best regards
Matthias

François Clapuyt

Mar 29, 2016, 4:36:46 PM3/29/16
to LibraryBox
Thanks for the quick reply.

It sounds great because for my use of the LibraryBox, I will normally not encounter this technical limitation. As I basically want to share small html files to users, which are updated every 1-2 minutes via FTP.

Best regards,
François;