Calibre file structure... How to display books correctly?

Roy Blumenthal

May 13, 2016, 2:53:34 PM5/13/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Hi guys...

My Library Box only contains ebooks. So it doesn't need any of the other categories.

I tried copying my CALIBRE library to the flash drive, sort of hoping that I'd log into Library Box and see a library, much like I see on Calibre, or Google Play Books, or Kindle.

But, of course, all I see is a directory structure. Very complex. Impossible to navigate without detailed knowledge of the author's names. No meta information visible. No book covers visible.

(I'm still on 2.0. No matter what I try, I'm unable to get my computer to communicate correctly with the box to flash 2.1.)

I then tried using Calibre to export a flat directory structure. This fares a LITTLE better. But it's still impenetrable.

What I want is for people to log in to my library box and see a catalogue of ebooks.

Is there some way for me to accomplish this?

Blue skies
Roy

ROY BLUMENTHAL
Visual Facilitator / Graphic Recorder / Sketchnoter
Illustrator, Writer, Director /Process Facilitator

Mobile: +27 74 104 6386

Email: royblu...@gmail.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/royblumenthal
Site: http://royblumenthal.com
Illustrations: http://flickr.com/royblumenthal

As a digital visual facilitator, I make speakers look great by bringing their material to life in hand-painted full-colour pictures. In real-time.

As they speak. I hook my tablet pc to a video projector, and paint visual interpretations of their words on a big screen. Think of me as a live, interactive replacement for PowerPoint. I visually summarise, interpret, make sense of, and highlight their content.
Devices: Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Wacom Cintiq Companion 2

On May 13, 2016 8:38 PM, "Jason Griffey" <gri...@gmail.com> wrote:

In addition to SSID and TX power, which can be customized easily in the Config folder on the USB, there's also the ability to alter the wifi channel that's being used...if the Boxen are in very close proximity, having half set to channel 1 and half to channel 11 to maximize the radio distance between them may add some additional protection.

But honestly...in any public place, you're likely being bombarded by several different wifi signals, and they aren't likely to conflict with each other to the point of unusability. It CAN happen. But doesn't often. From where I'm sitting I can see 5 different wifi APs, and at various times during my workday I'm certain I see 12-20 on a regular basis, and it's fine. Wifi is surprisingly robust.

I think you'll be fine. Customizing the SSID adds another layer to the puzzle though, potentially. :-)

Jason

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 12:44 PM Ben Hunter <bsar...@gmail.com> wrote:
You can turn down the transmit power on each device in the config files settings. This should prevent the SSIDs from broadcasting over a really large area. Also make sure each device has a different SSID.  You will probably have to tinker and test it out yourself to get it right.

On Thursday, May 12, 2016 at 12:45:16 PM UTC-4, Seth Stephens wrote:
Good Afternoon-
I am planning a scavenger hunt that will use library boxes.  I am planning on using 10 of them.   How far apart do the boxes have to be to prevent them from interfering with each other?  I am assuming if they are too close together they will interfere with each other.
Thanks for your patience and help,
Seth Stephens
Jefferson Township Public Library
Oak Ridge, New Jersey

Mike Bow

Jul 10, 2016, 8:05:32 PM7/10/16
to LibraryBox, royblu...@gmail.com
This is a nice idea -- I thought about writing something to parse thru the Calibre library, but then realized it had already been done:

So, what you probably want is Calibre2OPDS :

Features of calibre2opds include:

  • Works in conjunction with the Calibre e-Book library management.
  • Generates OPDS compatible XML catalogs that can be used with compatible e-Book readers. These include Stanza on the iPod/IPhone/iPad and Aldiko on android based systems
  • Generates HTML based catalogs that allow access from any browser-based ebook reader (e.g. a netbook with Firefox and EPUBReader). The HTML catalogs can also be used as a way of allowing books to be downloaded using a Browser for later transfer to an eReader device.
  • The generated catalogs have a hierarchical structured to help with navigating large ebook collections.
  • The catalogs can be both generated and used without requiring the Calibre software to be running at the time.
  • Catalogs can include cross-references, and external links to interesting web pages about your books.
  • The generated catalogs can be hosted on a server visible to the public Internet so that your catalogs and eBooks can made accessible from anywhere.
  • HTML catalogs support a browse-by-cover mode for those who prefer this way of selecting books.
  • The catalog generation is highly configurable to tailor output to your specific requirements. This configuration is done using a Graphical User Interface (GUI).
  • Has the ability to run in the background in a 'batch' mode using configurations previously set up using the GUI.

 I just tested it by pulling my flashdrive from my LibraryBox, put it in my computer and (after installing JRE to be able to run Calibre2OPDS), changed to Publish mode (buttons on the top of the C2OPDS main screen), ran it with the option to only generate an HTML catalog (no OPDS catalog, that needs an OPDS book catalog server), created a Calibre folder under the 'text' folder in the LibraryBox Shared folder (in my case, file:///H:/LibraryBox/Shared/text/Calibre/_catalog/index.html) for the catalog destination, and clicked the Generate Catalog button.

A while later, it was done.  Navigating down the LibraryBox folder structure and clicking on this index.html file will show you the COPDS generated catalog.

There are lots of option with Calibre2OPDS, and a clean catalog will help.  It's not perfect for LibraryBox, but it's good as a starting point.  The _catalog folder didn't come up at the top of the sorted folders, but was near the bottom.  But it works and is better than the default Calibre library by a long shot.  If you come up with a good profile of the various options perhaps you could share it here.

http://wiki.mobileread.com/w/index.php?title=Calibre2Opds_Index is a good overview on Calibre2OPDS.  The step-by-step instructions for Calibre/Calibre2OPDS/Dropbox are pretty good as well about the various settings in the program.  There's lots more documentation.

Good luck

Roy Blumenthal

Jul 11, 2016, 12:20:22 AM7/11/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com