What is the largest storage device you have successfully used?

Jack Feschuk

Dec 7, 2014, 5:37:04 PM12/7/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
I am already running out of space with my amazing LibraryBox. I have filled it with audiobooks mostly and just a few of these can be over 1GB by themselves.
The storage is a 32GB Lexar USB drive.

I am curious if there is a limitation of some kind with this system. Can I have a 64GB, 128GB or even a 1TB 2.5" USB-SATA FAT32 drive with my LibraryBox?

Thanks!

Matthias Strubel

Dec 8, 2014, 7:02:13 AM12/8/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jack,
you can use bigger USB Sticks, but you might encounter issues with the FAT filesystem.
The most important fact about the USB device is, that is needs to have one partitioned setup and not directly formatted. You can see the difference on a linux:

/dev/sda   <- directly formatted
/dev/sda1  <- one partition setup

The one partition setup is quite common, but some vendors prefer the first version.

To exchange the drives, you only need to move over all the files on the USB Stick.

About external hard disks: consider using an additional power source, because the hdds drain too much power from the USB port. That demand can only hardly be fullfilled.

best regards
Matthias

Jack Feschuk

Dec 8, 2014, 4:34:58 PM12/8/14
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Matthias! That was exactly the information that I was looking for. I will likely settle for a 128GB memory stick as I need to retain portability.