Tp link mr3020 external antenna hack

Knight47

Nov 16, 2016, 3:30:08 AM11/16/16
to LibraryBox
Hello I have being doing some search on tp link mr3020 external antenna hack but I have found any clear tutorial on how to go about it .I also fear the risk of destroying my device because of the different solderings I have seen online(Please see attached pics).Can someone tell me where the solderings are to be made on the device and whether after soldering the external antenna the librarybox is good to go or there is some additional config to be made on the device .

Thanks

Auto Generated Inline Image 1
Auto Generated Inline Image 2
Auto Generated Inline Image 3
Auto Generated Inline Image 4

Don Clark

Nov 19, 2016, 4:22:36 AM11/19/16
to LibraryBox
Hi,

The OpenWRT wiki has a detailed page on the MR3020.  There is a section regarding an external antenna hack with a link to an article on how it is done.
See https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-mr3020#external_antenna_hack.

You shouldn't need further configuration after it is done.

Regards,

Don

Knight47

Nov 21, 2016, 5:10:56 AM11/21/16
to LibraryBox

Hi,
    Thanks I read the OpenWRT wiki but I do see any similar solderings like in the picture in my post
.Also is it a must to trim the board before soldering or its an issue of safe.Please what additional wifi range do I get after the hack.

Thanks

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Don Clark

Nov 22, 2016, 3:19:47 AM11/22/16
to LibraryBox
It is difficult to see where they are soldering in the attached pictures as they show up small for me.  They also seem to highlight two different soldering points.

The instructions at https://apollo.open-resource.org/lab:argus#modifications just solder at the AN 2 connector.  Cutting the board is necessary if you follow those instructions.

An unmodified MR3020 should reach about 100m in an open field.  I tried to find the range of one with an external antenna and couldn't find any info.  If the modification hasn't introduced any problems, a standard 5dB antenna should extend the range--especially indoors.  Remember, extending the range too far can lead to problems where the device you are using to connect doesn't have enough power to transmit back to the MR3020.

Unless you want to portability of the MR3020 you may want to look at a router like the TL-WR842ND.  It has two external antennas and can be found for quite cheap.

Regards,

Don