Using non-roman characters in file names

Kirk Wilson

Oct 12, 2015, 3:18:11 PM10/12/15
to LibraryBox
I'm using the library box in countries with Cyrillic, Arabic and other non-roman fonts.  Is there any way to support non-roman characters in file names?  I understand that the unit is designed for UTF-8 character encoding and clearly web pages are fine but file names are another thing.

Kirk

Jason Griffey

Oct 12, 2015, 3:22:29 PM10/12/15
to LibraryBox

This is actually related (I believe) to a known bug that we're working on plugging for the 2.1 release:

Non-roman fonts in the directory listing is a problem...hopefully we know how to fix it.

Jason

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 3:18 PM Kirk Wilson <kirkdw...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm using the library box in countries with Cyrillic, Arabic and other non-roman fonts.  Is there any way to support non-roman characters in file names?  I understand that the unit is designed for UTF-8 character encoding and clearly web pages are fine but file names are another thing.

Kirk

Guy Grolimond

Oct 13, 2015, 11:14:09 AM10/13/15
to LibraryBox
Interesting, great that it didn't go unnoticed as I had to simplify some file names that also had various unsupported characters in French as well apostrophes.

Kirk Wilson

Dec 29, 2015, 4:25:09 PM12/29/15
to LibraryBox
Jason;

With the release of 2.1 is this now fixed or still an open issue?

Regards;

Kirk

Jason Griffey

Dec 29, 2015, 4:28:36 PM12/29/15
to LibraryBox

We believe that the v2.1 fixes this for all but the most obscure character encodings. We tested with a wide variety and I think it’s fixed.

Of course, we can’t test everything. :-) But yes, we believe it’s fixed.

Jason

Kirk Wilson

Dec 29, 2015, 4:37:34 PM12/29/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com

Jason;

Thank you.  So as I understand it most any UTF-8 character then should work.

On another note.  Where do you stand on the h5ai directory listing issues.  I have been using it with version 0.24.1 and have been happy.  We have now fixed the file counter.  Is this something your interested in?

Regards;

Kirk

Jason Griffey

Dec 29, 2015, 4:40:19 PM12/29/15
to libra...@googlegroups.com

I love h5ai, and we might use it for the next code release...for the v2.1 we already had a different solution in place and decided to run with it for this release. It does pretty much what h5ai does (CSS styled directory listings) and gives us responsiveness and everything, plus we worked out the stats issue with it.

So I guess h5ai is a possibility, but not for this release. We'll take another look at it when we're putting together the next round of development goals.

Jason

Kirk Wilson

Mar 7, 2016, 7:38:30 PM3/7/16
to LibraryBox
Jason;

What we have found is as follows.  We have had to change the mount of the USB:
ext_usbmount_options="utf8,umask=0,noatime,rw

The issue is without the UTF-8 mount then characters that show up correctly in the extended filename of Windows don't show up correctly on the LibraryBox.  The info for this came from:  http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/HowTo/MountFATFileSystems

Kirk

Matthias Strubel

Mar 9, 2016, 3:35:51 PM3/9/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kirk,
thanks for the heads up.
I already added that patch to our development branch a couple of weeks ago.. I still need to review it :)

Anyway, many thanks
best regards
Matthias

Jeff Gregory

Apr 26, 2016, 12:16:21 PM4/26/16
to LibraryBox
I too need to use non-latin fonts in the directory listing. How do I implement the patch Kirk mentioned above?

Jeff

Matthias Strubel

Apr 26, 2016, 3:37:15 PM4/26/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Kirk's patch is a configuration change in the extRoot configuration before the system is installed.
If you want to add this to your configuration, you need to edit /etc/config/fstab and find the right "config 'mount'" section, which shows the mount-point /mnt/usb
there you need to adjust the options with the new parameter.

no warranty ;)

best regards Matthias

GeoDirk

Apr 27, 2016, 12:20:17 PM4/27/16
to LibraryBox
If you want something simple, just download the precompiled firmware images from here:

https://connectbox.technology/wp/

All you need to do is substitute out the firmwares as the Unicode changes are already built in.
Message has been deleted