Pentesting LibraryBox 2.1(Sniffing username/passwd

jeph300

Dec 16, 2016, 1:56:56 PM12/16/16
to LibraryBox
Hello guys, I'm sharing with you an existing flaw in LibraryBox 2.1 that allow any connected user to sniff your ftp password.
LibraryBox use ftp for file transfer instead of sftp(secure ftp), which makes it vulnerable for sniffing. I use Kali Linux to do this, using wireshark, I sniffed the ftp username/password WHILE the admin user is authenticating. Is there a way to fix this or at least install sftp.

Matthias Strubel

Dec 17, 2016, 2:38:08 PM12/17/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com
Hello,
yes.
I also investigated in using sftp over ftp.

The built in sftp:

  - has a 1:1 relationship with the user accounts
  - no session limits (to prevent overload)
  - no anonymous access possible.

The only way to solve this is to use self signed certs together with FTP over SSL....

best regards
Matthias

Hello guys, I'm sharing with you an existing flaw in LibraryBox 2.1 that allow any connected user to sniff your ftp password.
LibraryBox use ftp for file transfer instead of sftp(secure ftp), which makes it vulnerable for sniffing. I use Kali Linux to do this, using wireshark, I sniffed the ftp username/password WHILE the admin user is authenticating. Is there a way to fix this or at least install sftp.

Jason Griffey

Dec 17, 2016, 3:04:37 PM12/17/16
to libra...@googlegroups.com

What Matthias said. LibraryBox, especially running on the TP-Link hardware, is not at all hardened against even the lowest forms of hackery. It's very easy to purposefully interrupt one.

I would prefer that to be much, much harder to do, and would _love_ to find ways to do end-to-end encryption for all communications on the system. But that's _very_ hard, esp since standard methods (ssl) require connectivity to the 'net for full implementation.

We have been looking for some time for someone that wanted to work on a Raspberry Pi port of LibraryBox, which would allow for more robust efforts at this sort of thing. The code is there, and I'm more than happy to look at pull requests if you want to help to harden the system.

Jason